Log entries

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
RE: Engine and airframe logbooks

Is an entry provided by an A&P or repair station satisfactory if,

-the signature is typed only? (Not signed)

-in the case of authorized repair station, can any employee thereof make the entry?

How is 'authorized person' determined?

-the signature is typed only? (Not signed)
14 CFR 43.9(a) calls for a signature. A typed name is not a signature.
-in the case of authorized repair station, can any employee thereof make the entry? How is 'authorized person' determined?
14 CFR 145.157(a) A certificated repair station located inside the United States must ensure each person authorized to approve an article for return to service under the repair station certificate and operations specifications is certificated under part 65.
Per 14 CFR 65.81, the log entry must be signed by the holder of an FAA mechanic certificate with the appropriate Airframe/Powerplant rating(s), or the holder of an FAA repairman certificate for work for which he is specifically certified under the repair station certificate (14 CFR 65.103).

In the case of a repair station they will use the repair station certificate number in place of the A&P number. However the person signing for the repair station has to be on the list of authorized personnel to sign maintenance releases. Not just anyone at the repair station can perform the return-to-service.

As stated in 43 and 145 the return to serivce has to have a signature of the person authorized. I am providing a training class on this very subject tonight at the Hayward Airport (HWD) if you send me a private message I can send you a copy of the powerpoint handouts I am providing. It shows samples of what the entries should look like. Also read FAR 91.407 it makes the owner/operator to ensure the maintenance people make the proper record entry.

Stache

Back