Locks

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
But lawmakers in Pennsylvania want to require not one, but two, locks for all general aviation aircraft and create criminal penalties for failing to use them—a move AOPA strongly opposes.

Do you lock your airplane? We are required to lock our tail with a chain to a tie-down as well as lock the door. Planes that are too big for tail tie-downs have locking boots on a wheel.

The padlocks freeze shut in this weather and so I call the FBO to send someone out with a coffee pot full of hot water to pour on the lock. It is very difficult for an old lady to kneel on the tarmack under the plane and lock or unlock a chain to the tail ring. I now carry a foam kneeling pad in the back of the plane.

Nope. Don't have a plane.

I think people who own or rent panel trucks or vans (think Ryder) should have multiple locks. After all, these have been used in more terrorist attacks than small planes.

Do you lock your airplane? We are required to lock our tail with a chain to a tie-down as well as lock the door. Planes that are too big for tail tie-downs have locking boots on a wheel.

The padlocks freeze shut in this weather and so I call the FBO to send someone out with a coffee pot full of hot water to pour on the lock. It is very difficult for an old lady to kneel on the tarmack under the plane and lock or unlock a chain to the tail ring. I now carry a foam kneeling pad in the back of the plane.

Find an old combo lock, pop the back off and remove the guts. That will make removing it before flight a lot easier. I doubt the law gives any specifications for the lock and it's security. Besides even if they hire a "lock checker" to go around and write tickets on airplanes with out locks I'll bet the checker doesn't verify the security of the locks, but just looks to see if one's present.

BTW if the door is locked and the start switch uses a key, would that suffice for the "two lock" minimum? How about locks on two different doors? Stupid laws usually have a bit of wiggle room.

Aunt Peggy,

I do not have to lock my plane and have had no problems (yet) with the hanger lock, but my dog kennel is another story. I take a simple plastic sandwich bag, push the hasp of the lock through it, and wrap it around the lock. When it is time to unlock it, I break the ice off the plastic bag and the lock is dry and opens easy. I also load the lock up with powdered graphite, which seems to help.

Tim

Find an old combo lock, pop the back off and remove the guts. That will make removing it before flight a lot easier. I doubt the law gives any specifications for the lock and it's security. Besides even if they hire a "lock checker" to go around and write tickets on airplanes with out locks I'll bet the checker doesn't verify the security of the locks, but just looks to see if one's present.

BTW if the door is locked and the start switch uses a key, would that suffice for the "two lock" minimum? How about locks on two different doors? Stupid laws usually have a bit of wiggle room.

Nah. You're missing it Lance. Now you're asking for lock specifications.

What lock specifications do we already have? Why, the "TSA approved" locks you're supposed to put on your luggage. So just use that and we'll have achieved true forest for the trees legislation.

All aircraft must be secured with two locks that can be easily opened. :D

The chain and lock were provided by the county. It is one of those with a resettable combination
cl_comb_brass.jpg
Don't know what would happen if I replaced it with another. It is the county that requires the tail lock.

We have a door lock, a baggage door lock with a different key, and an ignition lock that matches the baggage door in addition to the tail padlock.

Last edited:
Oh, that's rough having a county mandated lock, especially in that part of the world.

~ Christopher

Locked hangar. If they can get the hangar open, the lock on the plane isn't going to stop them.

I lock my plane, but I would resent have the government ordering me to. I will decide what is best. As pointed out above, trucks are used, not small planes. I don't recall any small planes being used, just airliners.

The chain and lock were provided by the county. It is one of those with a resettable combination
cl_comb_brass.jpg
Don't know what would happen if I replaced it with another. It is the county that requires the tail lock.

I would buy the same brand of lock from somewhere else. ;) Let them try to open it.

Re: Locks......Hummmmmmm,

Peggy......

Which airport in NY....?

Lock my plane......now thats a good one.....:yes:

I don't have a lock on the canopy, Hell, if you can figure out how to open it, start it, and get it off the ground........you are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good. Then landing, thats another story..!!

Dont' need no friggin locks.......:no::no::no:

But the TSA doesn't care if anyone can take off or land them.. .they are only worried about those people who can fly them into buildings... ;)

I'm wondering how the county can enact regs which seem to intrude into the jurisdiction of the Feds... with regards to security. And what happens if a plane is just visiting there, and doesn't know this reg or have locks... Does someone come out and lock their plane to the ground? I would have a small bit of a problem if someone were to do that to my plane...

Re: Locks......Hummmmmmm,

Peggy......

Which airport in NY....?

Lock my plane......now thats a good one.....:yes:

I don't have a lock on the canopy, Hell, if you can figure out how to open it, start it, and get it off the ground........you are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good. Then landing, thats another story..!!

Dont' need no friggin locks.......:no::no::no:
Westchester County HPN

We'd be in trouble if someone locked something here. We're not use to locks. I don't have a lock on my house, shop, hanger, gates or barns. The key stays in the ignition of my truck and the plane key hangs in the ignition of the plane. If you need something that bad, go ahead and take it, just gas it up before you bring it back.

I'm wondering how the county can enact regs which seem to intrude into the jurisdiction of the Feds... with regards to security. And what happens if a plane is just visiting there, and doesn't know this reg or have locks... Does someone come out and lock their plane to the ground? I would have a small bit of a problem if someone were to do that to my plane...
I don't know about counties, but a whole state has had this rule for quite some time.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/airwater/aviation/twolock.shtm

More useless feel good legislation. There's no locking device, prop lock, wheel boot, The Club.... whatever, that I can't overcome with a can of Freon and my 32oz dead blow ball peen hammer that I've put a point on. Repo man knows, pro thief knows, anyone who does the slightest research knows. The only people locks stop are kids and drunks. There is no anti terrorist benefit here.

My airplane is in a locked hangar with the door to the airplane locked as well. But that can probably be shimmied with a paper clip.

I use a padlock on the hangar door. It is a simple master lock weather resistant model. You might want to try that Peggy. All I do is lube it with graphite once a year.

HUMMMMMMMMM,

HPN, what a joke.....the only airport that charges you $2.00 to land and if you don't pay they send you notices each month......

Lets see.....

Person to print statement - $1.00
Statement paper, cpu time, ink - $1.00
Person to stuff envelope - $1.00
Stamp $ .42
Person to mail envelope - $1.00
---------
$4.42

Did I miss anything.....?:no:

IDIOTS...!!!!!

Our policy:

Russellville Regional Airport

KRUE
Aircraft Physical Security Policy

In response to recommendations provided in the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) document “Security Guidelines for General Aviation Airports”, Information Publication A-001, the airport commission has established the following policy with regard to physical aircraft security. The purpose of the TSA recommendation is to prevent the use of general aviation aircraft for terroristic purposes.

Effective Date: 1 February, 2005

Applicability:

This policy applies to aircraft on the premises of KRUE :

• which are in operable condition

and

• have a maximum gross takeoff weight exceeding-1,320 lbs (599 kg.), 1,430 lbs for seaplanes (excludes Light Sport Aircraft and Ultra Lights)

and

• are not attended by a responsible individual present in the vicinity of the aircraft or in the ramp/FBO/maintenance facility areas.
Policy:

Aircraft meeting the applicability requirements of this policy are to be physically secured against unauthorized operation by at least one lock. This lock may be a normal aircraft lock such as a door or ignition lock. If the aircraft is not equipped with such locks, then an alternate locking method must be provided. Such alternate locks may take any effective form (locked hangar, throttle lock, propeller lock, wheel lock, locked tie down cable, hidden kill switch, etc). The FBO will have a few alternate locks on hand for use by transient aircraft not having an integrated lock.

That's almost reasonable.

Our policy:

Russellville Regional Airport

KRUE
Aircraft Physical Security Policy

In response to recommendations provided in the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) document “Security Guidelines for General Aviation Airports”, Information Publication A-001, the airport commission has established the following policy with regard to physical aircraft security. The purpose of the TSA recommendation is to prevent the use of general aviation aircraft for terroristic purposes.

Effective Date: 1 February, 2005

Applicability:

This policy applies to aircraft on the premises of KRUE :

• which are in operable condition

and
  • have a maximum gross takeoff weight exceeding-1,320 lbs (599 kg.), 1,430 lbs for seaplanes (excludes Light Sport Aircraft and Ultra Lights)

and
  • are not attended by a responsible individual present in the vicinity of the aircraft or in the ramp/FBO/maintenance facility areas.
Policy:

Aircraft meeting the applicability requirements of this policy are to be physically secured against unauthorized operation by at least one lock. This lock may be a normal aircraft lock such as a door or ignition lock. If the aircraft is not equipped with such locks, then an alternate locking method must be provided. Such alternate locks may take any effective form (locked hangar, throttle lock, propeller lock, wheel lock, locked tie down cable, hidden kill switch, etc). The FBO will have a few alternate locks on hand for use by transient aircraft not having an integrated lock.

I wonder if they specify the type of lock the FBO's use so you can have an accepted model even if they are closed. I guess that would only be logical if you frequent that airport.

More useless feel good legislation. There's no locking device, prop lock, wheel boot, The Club.... whatever, that I can't overcome with a can of Freon and my 32oz dead blow ball peen hammer that I've put a point on. Repo man knows, pro thief knows, anyone who does the slightest research knows. The only people locks stop are kids and drunks. There is no anti terrorist benefit here.
I bet the 32 oz'er would work on the side of the politician's head ( no need for the freon , there's nothing in there to freeze)!:eek:

I wonder if they specify the type of lock the FBO's use so you can have an accepted model even if they are closed. I guess that would only be logical if you frequent that airport.
In this case it doesn't matter. The FBO provides them to transient folks who don't have a lock in their plane.
This lock may be a normal aircraft lock such as a door or ignition lock.
I think there are few airplanes that don't have some sort of lock on them!

Actually, I think it's quite reasonable. The only trouble I would see is if you're arriving (or departing, depending on how they handle the logistics) when the FBO is closed.

That and the fact that none of this locking madness has any real "public security" value. You can put all the locks on a plane you want and I'll bet I could still steal it if I wanted to.

WRT the locks after hours, I suppose the FBO could leave a few locks hanging open from the fence with the combo set to the ASOS freq along with a sign to that effect.

WRT the locks after hours, I suppose the FBO could leave a few locks hanging open from the fence with the combo set to the ASOS freq along with a sign to that effect.[/quote]

Well Lance if the freq is posted then why even put the lock on, everyone will know how to open it anyway. Then the locks are a waste of time
Dave G.

P.S. BTW i lock my doors and take the key with me.If someone really want to steal something like a Plane or Car/Truck they already know how to get it. :yes:

So who said the locks aren't a waste of time? But I was assuming the ASOS freq wasn't on the sign and that most non-pilots wouldn't know where to look it up. Of course only a non-pilot would steal an airplane, right?

WRT the locks after hours, I suppose the FBO could leave a few locks hanging open from the fence with the combo set to the ASOS freq along with a sign to that effect.

Well Lance if the freq is posted then why even put the lock on, everyone will know how to open it anyway. Then the locks are a waste of time
Dave G.

P.S. BTW i lock my doors and take the key with me.If someone really want to steal something like a Plane or Car/Truck they already know how to get it. :yes:

I'll protect my plane (if I get one again) with two gLoCks!!!

This would make a good practical joke or even a business.

Put up a sign: State Law: PUT THIS LOCK ON YOUR PLANE.

Then tell the pilot to call a phone number and pay $499 to get the lock removed.

Ha Ha, that would be funny... oh wait, I'd probably be one of the losers to actually lock my plane.

Back