Location on For Sale Ad's

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I browse through Barnstormers, TAP, Controller, etc. on a weekly basis looking for "the dream". I'm not a serious buyer at this point, but one thing I don't understand is why many sellers don't include their location on the advertisement. Sure, I can usually do a search on the phone number and probably figure it out that way, but why make it difficult?

Bad marketing...

I browse through Barnstormers, TAP, Controller, etc. on a weekly basis looking for "the dream". I'm not a serious buyer at this point, but one thing I don't understand is why many sellers don't include their location on the advertisement. Sure, I can usually do a search on the phone number and probably figure it out that way, but why make it difficult?

Bad marketing...
Playing devils advocate...its good marketing, they got you to look which you might not have if you could have eliminated it from your search by location.
When I was looking I did a lookup on the phone area code, only takes a second.

Trade a plane used to post the area codes in the classified section,cut one out and keep it handy. I never let distance deter me from looking at ads that interested me. Bought one airplane in Texas while I lived in mass.

Aand don't forget many people move and keep their old cell phone numbers, I've got several friends in Atlanta with Michigan or Florida cell numbers. They may be right next door!:D

Trade a plane used to post the area codes in the classified section,cut one out and keep it handy. I never let distance deter me from looking at ads that interested me. Bought one airplane in Texas while I lived in mass.

When looking for a plane, limiting yourself to a region is like flying with full flaps all the time. Your options become severely restricted.

When I bought, my plane was near DC. Trust me, you will find your cream puff, but it will not be within driving distance, so be prepared to engage in long distance negotiating.

When looking for a plane, limiting yourself to a region is like flying with full flaps all the time. Your options become severely restricted.

When I bought, my plane was near DC. Trust me, you will find your cream puff, but it will not be within driving distance, so be prepared to engage in long distance negotiating.

There are almost 100 million people within 3 hours of here by RV-6. That's not very limiting unless you're looking for something really unique.

I don't understand is why many sellers don't include their location on the advertisement. Sure, I can usually do a search on the phone number and probably figure it out that way, but why make it difficult?

Bad marketing...

Worse yet, many aviation businesses don't list their location in the trade publications. I think that one is really stupid. Yeah, like I'm going to call you for a quote on a 530 install when I have no idea if your avionics shop is 200 miles away or 2000.

fuhgettaboutit...

Last edited:
There are almost 100 million people within 3 hours of here by RV-6. That's not very limiting unless you're looking for something really unique.

most don't have access to a plane already though for that 900 mile trip to kick tires.

Sorry, but if I'm looking for something like a 172, 182, Cherokee, etc., I'm not going to go to look at one in California or Montana, when I can swing my headset code and hit one here.

Initial inspection, mechanical prebuy, etc. become much more cumbersome when you have to cross multiple time zones. Exceptions of course for dare aircraft, or perhaps for an A&P with non-rev privileges on the airlines.

And yeah, area codes for determining location are meaningless these says, although that detail is overlooked by the geezers who've had the same number since the days of rotary dial.

That and "call for price"
My other favorite is Engine Time: Not Given

I don't know. Having total and engine time but no photos seems just as bad to me. "Oh, OK... Those numbers look good. I'll take it."

Fast forward to picking up the plane I just bought sight unseen...

"Why is it 11 different colors (most shades of brown and green)?!"

I ignore those, does anybody actually call?

It's funny, the more expensive the plane, the less likely it us to have a price posted? :rolleyes: I'd guess about half of the turbine airplanes I see listed have prices.:dunno: I always call the no price ads last, unless it looks very interesting.;)

Back