Local News Article - Just Plane Stupid: The Wrong Stuff

LvPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LvPilot
Ridiculous … I cannot believe that printed this article in our local newspaper:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Feb-19-Mon-2007/living/12411148.html

Here is a reprint if you can’t access the link, but you’ll be missing the accompanying videos:

JUST PLANE STUPID: The Wrong Stuff

My speed is 55 knots and I'm running out of Runway 12R. It's time for me to nudge the yoke back and take this journey three-dimensional.
"Here we go!" shouts Mario Bonaventura, flight instructor for West Air Aviation at the North Las Vegas Airport.
There are two yokes, or steering wheels, side by side like in a driver's ed car. But Bonaventura isn't touching his. The only hands in control of this aircraft are baboon-hairy and trembling.
As the plane noses up, Bonaventura slaps my yoke forward, decreasing our angle of climb.
"A little too steep!" he yells over the leaf-blower engine noise.
I'm flying with no training, by the way. I haven't even brushed up on my Microsoft Flight Simulator program.
"You learn by doing," Bonaventura said earlier. "It's best for first-time pilots to fly by the seat of their pants."
I do have some training. I've piloted every flight I've ever taken -- via the arm rests I take off and land with. Actually being in control, I figured, might offset the jitters I get as a passenger.
I figured wrong. Gusts of 20 mph are whipping us from the southwest due to a low-pressure system that's raining on nearby mountain ranges.
"It's more fun when it's bumpy!" Bonaventura screams.
Bumpy? This is "bumpy" like Michael Jackson is "eccentric." The cabin feels like a snow globe that a giant hand is trying to make snow.
"Don't worry," Bonaventura says. "This is nothing!"
Incidentally, Bonaventura has 500 hours of flight time.
"That's very little," he admitted earlier, "but I'm one of the most senior guys now."
Did I mention that Bonaventura is 21 years old? His flight time represents 0.27 percent of his entire lifespan.
"You need to climb!" he yells. He grabs his yoke, flinging my body skyward without my spleen.
"Whoa!"
That's me, in case you can't guess. Seven degrees nose up sounds gradual, but the seat of the pants I'm flying by is dangerously close to being stained.
Wait. I haven't even told you about the plane yet. It's a four-seat, single-engine Cessna 172, which was also my blood pressure when I spotted it in the field behind West Air. This $80,000 Costco shopping cart with wings was undoubtedly chosen for this mission because it's the fleet's most expendable.
"Don't worry," Bonaventura said, explaining that all planes must pass inspection after 100 hours of flight time.
The thought occurs to me that this plane might not have seen any flight time since running sacks of cash out of town for Tony "The Ant" Spilotro's crew. More flip switches grace its instrument panel than did my grandparents' hi-fi set. (The dash commands an undue amount of my attention at first, because I can't see over it.)
"It's an old-ass plane," Bonaventura admitted after retrieving a pillow for me to sit on.
Later, I discover that the airplane was manufactured in 1978, seven years before the airplane instructor was.
"Whoa!"
Me again. At 5,500 feet above sea level, Bonaventura decides to make us lurch violently left and right.
"I wanted to show you how the rudder pedals work," he says, laughing.
Cessnas were the small planes that carried R&B singer Aaliyah, New York Yankees captain Thurman Munson and boxing champ Rocky Marciano to their fiery deaths. I'm just saying.
"I like freaking you out!" Bonaventura yells.
My first instinct is to knock this wiseguy unconscious. He looks skinny enough to take. My second instinct is to realize how stupid my first instinct is, considering who would have to land the plane.
"Come on, I just took a 12-year-old boy up and he loved it," Bonaventura says.
Two of West Air's 10 instructors are leaving the company next week, since the 1,000-hour marker qualifies them to fly bigger planes.
Bonaventura dreams of being an airline pilot, too. And after this flight, he'll be 40 minutes closer.
"I knew I wanted to fly when I was a kid and went to the airport," said the Las Vegas native, who flew his first solo flight at age 16. "Seeing a big 747 and knowing that that thing is gonna go super fast, way up in the air."
As of 2005, there were 646,321 licensed and active pilots in the U.S., according to the FAA. Most fly recreationally, but 43 percent make their living in the air, earning $22,000 to $160,000 a year. They usually start as co-pilots on smaller airlines.
The mountain in front of us now takes up too much windshield to continue ignoring. It could be Mount Potosi. That is where a plane carrying Carole Lombard and 21 others crashed and exploded in 1942, killing all on board. According to reports, the pilot was in the back chatting with the movie star, leaving his less-experienced co-pilot to fly in instrument conditions.
"I'll check what mountain that is for you," Bonaventura says, leaving his own less-experienced co-pilot to fly as he unfolds a map and scans it with his eyes for at least 10 seconds.
This is a good time to explain that our propensity to avoid colliding with stuff (birds, other planes, mountains) is predicated on our ability to see said stuff coming. Planes as small as ours don't fly by radar.
In order to accurately communicate the depth of my concern over this matter, I unleash a string of expletives Bonaventura has only been legal to hear without a parent or guardian for the last four years.
In seeming retaliation, Bonaventura changes course by dipping us 45 degrees to the right, accomplishing a full U-turn in less than a minute.
"Now show him what it's like to bank to the left!" shouts Review-Journal photographer Gary Thompson. Bonaventura complies. (OK, fine. So everyone else at the R-J is braver than the adventure writer.)
"We're gonna do a couple of more turns and some steep dives!" Bonaventura announces.
At this point, I don't know which is screaming louder, the leaf-blower engine or me.
"Or we can turn and go back because you're a wuss," Bonaventura responds.
As we angle toward the distant runway, the plane suddenly dips like the Desperado roller coaster at Buffalo Bill's. It wasn't Bonaventura's doing.
"Wind shear!" he exclaims, all excited. He doesn't add "don't worry" this time. Instead, he announces: "This is gonna be a crazy landing!"
Three minutes transpire in which I regret not having led a religious life. Then Bonaventura touches down. But the direction we're moving and the direction we're facing do not entirely coincide. The wheels skid for 40 feet before catching.
My official flight time is 24 minutes. It's about half the length of the average demo flight, although it will provide a lifetime of pretending I was brave once.
The first thing I do when we stop is kiss the ground.
The second is resolve to stop bugging Nellis Air Force Base to let me fly a fighter jet.
Watch video of Levitan's flight at www.reviewjournal.com/video/fearandloafing.html. Fear and Loafing runs on Mondays in the Living section. Levitan's previous adventures are posted at fearandloafing.com.

I sent an e-mail

Hello Corey,

I just read your article on the Review Journal about your experience in a general aviation aircraft. And as a Certified Flight Instructor myself, if that's how the flight actually went, or hell, even if that's the impression it left on you, I agree, that flight instructor needs a serious beat down! That flight is nearly 100% the opposite of what it should have been like. I hope that experience doesn't dissuade you from attempting it again. Flying really is enjoyable, and doesn't have to feel life threatening.

Edward Frederick
Commercial Pilot
Certified Flight Instructor
Airport Manager
Aircraft Owner

If that's how ignorant journalists are about aviation, doesn't that call into question their efforts at reporting on politics, economics, and other "important" topics?

Nice e-mail, Ed.

I would also like to thank Mr. Culbertson, if he is on this board, for writing the following response that was printed in today's edition:

To the editor:

My wife and I are both general aviation pilots. We fly a 1980 Cessna 182. Neither of us found Corey Levitan's Feb. 19 piece, "The Wrong Stuff," to be funny, entertaining or factual.
Too many people will take from Mr. Levitan's story that learning to fly in a small airplane is frightening, dangerous or both. That is not true. We have never known a certified flight instructor to be as unprofessional as the one portrayed in Mr. Levitan's story.
If what Mr. Levitan accuses the flight instructor of is true, he should be fired. He might also have his license suspended for violation of FAA regulations.
C. David Culbertson
Las Vegas

Wow, that was a fast response:

edward,
thanks for your letter. but you have many misunderstandings i am going to try and clear up.
i did not write an article about how scary one aviation school, or pilot, was. i wrote one in a series of (70, so far) columns called "fear and loafing," in which i challenge my fears and write about it in a comedic way. next month, for instance, i'll be sparring with floyd mayweather.
what you read was an accurate representation of how i was treated by west air, but only because i asked to be treated that way. "fear and loafing" does not pretend in the slightest way to be an accurate representations of how people off the street are treated. and my regular readers understand that. every once in a while, i'll pick up a reader who doesn't read me but tends to read articles about the subject i'm writing about that week. this seems to be the case with you.
mario and west air knew how my column reads at its best, and knew how i like my experiences to transpire. (in case they didn't, however, i gave them some prep. i told them, "push me," and they did.)
if you're worried about how the column made aviation school look to the public at large, chill out. i got dozens of emails about from people who follow me (and there are hundreds of thousands) telling me how they loved it. people understand what went on, and i forgive you for not.
try me out sometime on a monday morning. when it's not a subject that so close to the bone for you, i think you'll enjoy me.
the link to sign up for a weekly email to my column is www.fearandloafing.com/subscribersignup.html
thanks,
corey

Unfortunately, becoming a pompous ass is an occupational hazard for columnists. I see this guy was not immune. If I ever get that way ... or even START to get that way, someone please shoot me.

He calls himself a professional journalist and can't even capitalize words correctly?

Our illustrious journalist appears to have failed, or at least forgotten, basic grammer and composition - makes for an impressive read.

I wonder if his shift key is inop - not a single capitalization anywhere in the letter. Perhaps he was a Unix programmer before taking on journalism?

I guess I'll just take his advice and "chill out" ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Unfortunately, becoming a pompous ass is an occupational hazard for columnists. I see this guy was not immune. If I ever get that way ... or even START to get that way, someone please shoot me.

Where's my .306 ? :eek: :hairraise: :rofl:

This has got to be one of the worst written articles about flying I have ever read. Not only was the experience an abject lesson in how NOT to introduce someone to flying, but it seems to have been written by a journalist with the writing skills of a Jr. High School student!

The President's name is John Giles. His email is jpgiles@aol.com.

The Chief Pilot for West Air Aviation is named Jason Rury. His email address is jrury@westairaviation.com .

What do you suppose will be the result if suddenly he were to get inundated with negative emails about this article, and the supposed performance of one of his instr's?

Last edited:
You know something is goofy when the passenger is wearing a pilot costume. :rolleyes:

This has got to be one of the worst written articles about flying I have ever read. Not only was the experience an abject lesson in how NOT to introduce someone to flying, but it seems to have been written by a journalist with the writing skills of a Jr. High School student!

The Chief Pilot for West Air Aviation is named Jason Rury. His email address is jrury@westairaviation.com .

What do you suppose will be the result if suddenly he were to get inundated with negative emails about this article, and the supposed performance of one of his instr's?

In light of the current woe's facing GA, the decision to cooperate in a way so as to make GA instructors appear as reckless and immature, is itself reckless and immature.

In light of the current woe's facing GA, the decision to cooperate in a way so as to make GA instructors appear as reckless and immature, is itself reckless and immature.

Agreed … and I apologize for not knowing that this article was part of a series of articles in which this reporter “faces his fears”. However, knowing that humor was meant to be somehow imbedded in these antics, I still find it irresponsible (and one of the most poorly written articles I’ve ever read in the ReviewJournal).

Agreed … and I apologize for not knowing that this article was part of a series of articles in which this reporter “faces his fears”. However, knowing that humor was meant to be somehow imbedded in these antics, I still find it irresponsible (and one of the most poorly written articles I’ve ever read in the ReviewJournal).

So, lesseeeee, a journalist who embellishes situations he finds fearful and reports on them approaches a flight school and says "I want you to ignore what you usually do and push me in a wacky, perhaps reckless way, so I can write it up for the masses. It'll make good ink."?

Bad impression of GA comes from it. Can't really blame the journalist...he got what he was after.

The flight school and CFI, well, that's a whole other ball of wax. To them I say: "thanks for making it harder for the rest of the GA population".

She shoots and she scores!
Sure glad I'm a database architect and not a unix programmer ... awk 'n grep 'n all that stuff drives me nuts! I prefer to talk to my machines in English... VMS DCL and Oracle SQL... and case matters!

Oops, sorry for the hijack! :D

Gee I wonder if one of his next articles will about a drive down MLK Dr. in LV one night with all the 'scary' black people? After all he could play up to every stereotype because as Cory has said ""fear and loafing" does not pretend in the slightest way to be an accurate representations of how people off the street are treated". I ams (SIC) sure everyone will love it too because "when it's not a subject that so close to the bone for you, i think you'll enjoy me"

P Uooey, he is a jerk with a pen IMHO.

.306, .308 ... what ever it takes ... :D :D :D

I prefer the 7MM-08 but hey I've always been a little different. Mmmmmm, Elk burgers....

This journalist is a maroon.

So, lesseeeee, a journalist who embellishes situations he finds fearful and reports on them approaches a flight school and says "I want you to ignore what you usually do and push me in a wacky, perhaps reckless way, so I can write it up for the masses. It'll make good ink."?

Bad impression of GA comes from it. Can't really blame the journalist...he got what he was after.

The flight school and CFI, well, that's a whole other ball of wax. To them I say: "thanks for making it harder for the rest of the GA population".

Amen to that.

Sigh.

What about all the other people that do not read him every time. Are they aware he is just having fun. I am upset over this article. It goes against every thing I try to do to help give GA a good name and rep. What a jerk. I guess the pen is mightier than the sword. Bob

My letter. It was sent to Corey, his boss, his bosses boss, and as a letter to the editor.
I just finished reading your article on the Review Journal about your experience in a general aviation aircraft. As a commercial pilot and aircraft owner I have to say I am appalled at your ridiculous portrayal of general aviation flying. If your description of the flight is true I really believe you were short changed by the flight school. What they did warrants an investigation by the local Flight Standards District Office of the FAA, that will be who I contact after this letter. But I think what you really did was to not present a factual report of the experience in an poor attempt at humor.

You may think that you are clever but I ask the following. If foolishly portraying something as overly dangerous a filled with stereotypes is funny, will your next article be about driving at night down MLK between Sahara and Craig and your experience with the "scary black people"? My guess is no, that would be a topic that is taboo. Why is it taboo? Because it is offensive and wrong. Your article about aviation was just as offensive.

You should be ashamed of yourself for writing such an article. I know you are trying emulate the shows like Dirty Job's but that show, never debases the people or jobs they are describing. Self deprecating humor is acceptable but lying and telling of falsehoods is poor journalism and not humorous.

Scott Migaldi

Gee I wonder if one of his next articles will about a drive down MLK Dr. in LV one night with all the 'scary' black people? After all he could play up to every stereotype because as Cory has said ""fear and loafing" does not pretend in the slightest way to be an accurate representations of how people off the street are treated". I ams (SIC) sure everyone will love it too because "when it's not a subject that so close to the bone for you, i think you'll enjoy me"

P Uooey, he is a jerk with a pen IMHO.

Hmmm . . . Interesting point. Someone should email him and see how fast he responds to that suggestion. Edit: Scott did it! Way to go, Scott!!!

I kind of envy him in a way. I wish I could get paid to be a jerk. I've been doing it for free all this time.

Last edited:
Hmmm . . . Interesting point. Someone should email him and see how fast he responds to that suggestion.

I kind of envy him in a way. I wish I could get paid to be a jerk. I've been doing it for free all this time.

And you'd be very, very wealthy.

;) :D

But in the journalist's (and I use the term loosely) response shown ealier, the FBO was "in on it". I would say that this type of collaboration is in very poor taste, and an extremely poor business decision.

This is the text of a letter I just sent to the owner of West Air Aviation. Should I be honored with a reply, I will present it as well.

Mr John Giles
Owner/ President,
West Air Aviation

Mr. Jason Rury
Chief Pilot,
West Air Aviation

I have recently read an article by a Las Vegas based journalist, regarding an introductory flight recently taken through your organization, with one of your flight instructors.

This article did not paint a favorable picture of your company, your instructor, nor the industry you profess to serve in your advertising. Despite it's intent to be a humorous story, it is far more likely that any individual who was even remotely considering the idea of learning to fly, is seriously reconsidering after reading this diatribe.

If this is the standard to which your company trains its instructors to act, then I would be concerned about how your operation conducts its business as a whole. From your ground crews, to your mechanics, to your flight training. Do they all perform their respective jobs so callously as this flight instructor did? Let's hope not!

This article is being passed around within the internet, on several different pilot/flying sites, and it is being trashed pretty whole heartedly. The reputation of your company is in a steep dive at the moment, among those who might at some point need your services. Since the name West Air Aviation figured prominently in the article, it is possible that it may cost your business some hard dollars as well as it's reputation.

Let's hope that this is not a repetitive experience for your other students.

Regards,
Ric Reiter
ATP,CFII/MEI
Pt 135 Capt
USAFA IFT Instr

What an ass. Heh, my first post and I get to call someone an ass. I wonder how many less future pilots there are now after that article. A good writer wouldn't require readers to have previously read many of his articles to "get him". Every article must be able to stand alone and be understood on its own in the internet age. Out of context is the norm online. And if the flight school was familiar with this guy they should have sent him packing as soon as he appeared on the doorstep. :mad:

The writer will have a short career. You can get away with that kind of stuff at first because you are only bothering a small majority of the population each time. But over time you will **** off and offend everyone. What goes around will come around.

A good writer wouldn't require readers to have previously read many of his articles to "get him". Every article must be able to stand alone and be understood on its own in the internet age. Out of context is the norm online.
Maybe it would be different if he was as funny as he thinks he is.

What an ass. Heh, my first post and I get to call someone an ass. I wonder how many less future pilots there are now after that article. A good writer wouldn't require readers to have previously read many of his articles to "get him". Every article must be able to stand alone and be understood on its own in the internet age. Out of context is the norm online. And if the flight school was familiar with this guy they should have sent him packing as soon as he appeared on the doorstep. :mad:

Your right, he could have set the stage a bit better instead of assuming everybody was already in on the joke.

I thought it was pretty funny. I don't have any problem with this guy making fun of his own fears, which seemed to be the point. I also didn't see anything to suggest that it was supposed to be "journalism." It was pretty clearly a humor peice.

I really don't harbor any ill will towards the author, but the FBO and CFI screwed up big time. I don't see a problem with them helping him do a humor peice on a wimpy guy trying out flying. The problem is that they needed to be 100% professional during the entire process. They needed to be the perfect GA ambassadors. Instead, the doofus CFI played into the whole thing. It actually would have been funnier if the CFI was Mr. Cool Professional while the author freaked out. Instead, he came off as an unprofessional goof-off kid.

Chris

Back