Lobster Run

flybill7

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
I finally made a cross-country flight from Maryland to Maine a couple of weeks ago that I had been trying to do for a couple of years. It included the New York City - Hudson River run, which is fantastic for those of you who have never done it. Here is a write-up of the trip if you are interested. It has five web pages -- just click Next at the bottom of each page.

http://www.aircobratech.com/Bill/Citabria/LobsterRun-Oct05/LobsterRun-NYC-28Oct05.html

Wow, Bill! Looks like a blast! Awesome trip. I looked over the pictures and they are really cool, in addition to your avatar.

The city is so great...and ya just have to get a thick NY-accent NY TRACON controller to make the experience :yes:

You have a big project on your hands, eh? The RV7 build looks neat with all of your pictures. Maybe I'll actually have free time in my life to do something like that :yes: AND have a blog with pictures about it tracking my progress :redface:

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
The city is so great...and ya just have to get a thick NY-accent NY TRACON controller to make the experience :yes:

You have a big project on your hands, eh? The RV7 build looks neat with all of your pictures. Maybe I'll actually have free time in my life to do something like that :yes: AND have a blog with pictures about it tracking my progress :redface:

As you know, you do position reports while flying up the Hudson, like you do in a traffic pattern. I must say, I had a hard time following all the radio calls from the NY locals with the accents :)

As far as the project, I created the free time by simply giving up TV. Building a plane, at least you have something to show for it!

flybill7 said:
As you know, you do position reports while flying up the Hudson, like you do in a traffic pattern. I must say, I had a hard time following all the radio calls from the NY locals with the accents :)

As far as the project, I created the free time by simply giving up TV. Building a plane, at least you have something to show for it!
Did they give you Verrazano, direct Statue, GW, Tapanzee and then up the rest of the Hudson? At or below 1 or 1.5?

Yea, I love the NY locals...too bad you can't see them when you fly. Back in August I saw controllers in sweatpants and flip-flops sippin' coffee at the TRACON.

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Did they give you Verrazano, direct Statue, Tapanzee and then up the rest of the Hudson? At or below 1 or 1.5?

I was VFR, not talking to approach. Just stayed below the Class B. The ceiling for much of the way was 1,100. I did my position reports at Verrazaon, Statue, Intrepid, GW Bridge on the Hudson River freq.

I've done the hudson river flight a few times... your pictorial version of it is the BEST I've ever seen.... Just like I remembered it. terrific job - thanks for sharing

flybill7 said:

I love it that is a great statement. Bill that was one of the best photo essays I have seen great job!!

Bill,

Thanks for sharing the pictures, looks like it was an awesome trip. I sure miss flying around the Northeast. (VFR anyway).B)

Very nice pictorial. I'm half way through it.
One doesn't see the Northeast looking much better than at that time of the year !

Bill,

I really enjoyed the photos. That's a flight I'd like to do someday. Thanks for sharing.

Great write up! I love the pics, good shot of the Concorde on the ship in the shipyard...what a find!

Hi Bill,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Makes me miss the NE that much more. My cousin in a CFI out of GBR. I really like flying into and out of there with him when I go up north. Everyone there is really nice. Awesome pics to go along with an awesome trip.

Brook

Back