Loading new approach after a miss -- 430 Advice

ruthsindelar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ruth
Need Garmin 430 advice.....

We were practicing IFR approaches at KOGD last week. ILS runway 03. Shoot the approach and fly the full miss including the hold at Moint. While holding at Moint, I want to load the approach for our alternative airport (KTVY).

Anyone know how to load KTVY WITHOUT losing the hold at MOINT from the KOGD miss? I can easily load KTVY but then I lose my hold at MOINT.

Thanks

Ruth,

Since you can only have one approach loaded at a time and you are using a portion of the first approach for the hold, you can't load a second approach and still have the hold from the first one.

We were practicing IFR approaches at KOGD last week. ILS runway 03. Shoot the approach and fly the full miss including the hold at Moint. While holding at Moint, I want to load the approach for our alternative airport (KTVY).

Anyone know how to load KTVY WITHOUT losing the hold at MOINT from the KOGD miss? I can easily load KTVY but then I lose my hold at MOINT.

Thanks

My suggestion would be to start the process of loading the new approach and then make the change (i.e. press enter) while flying in "direct to" or heading mode on the last leg before breaking out of the hold.

Thanks
You could always just fly the hold manualy on the VOR and load your approach.

You could always just fly the hold manually on the VOR and load your approach.
That works for this approach but many of the GPS approaches use GPS waypoints for the hold with no VOR options.

That works for this approach but many of the GPS approaches use GPS waypoints for the hold with no VOR options.

Sure, but like John, what is the rush of loading this approach....

Sure, but like John, what is the rush of loading this approach....
Dunno, that wasn't the question asked. I also wondered why not first load up the path to the alternate airport but perhaps the plan was to shoot various approaches into the same airport so the very next waypoint is a fix on the approach to be loaded.

Just a though but you could use the Direct button to put in the hold fix from the current procedure then setup the hold course line using the OBS. Then load the next airport and procedure into the Flight Plan window. Without sitting in my plane I'm not sure the button sequence but I think it could be easily done.

One

Thing

At

A

Time

It's better that way. The only time I've gotten behind the airplane is when I was trying to get too far ahead of it. In my training I tried to do the exact same thing by trying to fly the next approach before I finished the one I was currently on. It's 12nm from MOINT to EMONT, and that's a 4.8 minute ride at 150kts, 6 minutes at 120knots, and 8 minutes at 90 knots what's the rush?

You can do everything short of hitting the Load/Activate while still getting steering for being in the hold, but don't push that ENT button until you're actually ready to depart the hold.

One

Thing

At

A

Time

It's better that way. The only time I've gotten behind the airplane is when I was trying to get too far ahead of it. In my training I tried to do the exact same thing by trying to fly the next approach before I finished the one I was currently on. It's 12nm from MOINT to EMONT, and that's a 4.8 minute ride at 150kts, 6 minutes at 120knots, and 8 minutes at 90 knots what's the rush?

I agree. Which is why I really don't know how! But, the question was asked. :dunno:

Back