LMFS route notation for hold/delay

acrophile

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
acrophile
When you file a VFR flight plan via LMFS, is there a way to designate holding at a station for a given period of time?

No. And I hate to break it to you but your route is only of passing interest in a VFR flight plan. If a full blown SAR starts, they're going to draw a circle based on your reported available fuel from your last known position.

ATC will never see a plan marked VFR on entry.

I don't even think there's a provision for entering holds in IFR routes.

There is a provision for entering delays on IFR flight plans -- we did it all the time in the military. You put in "D0+30" for a 30-minute delay in the route section at the point where you were going to delay. This was important for ATC in planning how to deal with you.

However, that has no utility for VFR flight plans, since they're not going to start looking for you until after the filed ETE expires, and the fact that you delayed at one point on the route isn't going change their SAR strategy a bit.

When you file a VFR flight plan via LMFS, is there a way to designate holding at a station for a given period of time?

There is a provision for entering delays on IFR flight plans -- we did it all the time in the military. You put in "D0+30" for a 30-minute delay in the route section at the point where you were going to delay. This was important for ATC in planning how to deal with you.

However, that has no utility for VFR flight plans, since they're not going to start looking for you until after the filed ETE expires, and the fact that you delayed at one point on the route isn't going change their SAR strategy a bit.

Agreed, so you might as well just extend the total time en-route. One thing the OP can do--so that SAR doesn't look everywhere in the world along your route for you if you go missing--is call flight service to update them of your position along the route. That way they'll have a better area to search. This is typically done along with a PIREP and or a weather update.

Agreed, so you might as well just extend the total time en-route. One thing the OP can do--so that SAR doesn't look everywhere in the world along your route for you if you go missing--is call flight service to update them of your position along the route. That way they'll have a better area to search. This is typically done along with a PIREP and or a weather update.

Or better yet, just get flight following. That way they always know where you are and what you're doing. I really don't see the point of a VFR Flight plan if you use flight following, plus you get traffic advisories, automatic clearance through C&D airspace, MOAs and sometimes bravo clearances.

According to a AOPA safety seminar I recently attended, flight following does not ensure SAR services. If you simply disappear and ATC is busy, they may not initiate any kind of search.

Or better yet, just get flight following. That way they always know where you are and what you're doing. I really don't see the point of a VFR Flight plan if you use flight following, plus you get traffic advisories, automatic clearance through C&D airspace, MOAs and sometimes bravo clearances.

That goes without saying, but there are places where radar coverage is limited, such as Alaska and the mountain states, a VFR flight plan is not a bad idea...even in addition to whatever ATC services you're able to secure. It only takes a few seconds to file, open, and close if you have a stored profile.

The point of a VFR flight plan is "Unable flight following at this time."

Flight following is not available in all places or at all times. And when you need it most is when you aren't getting it.

While flight following doesn't "guarantee" SAR, the only thing that does is having someone you trust on the ground monitor your flight and call for you. Even a VFR flight plan doesn't, and an ELT really doesn't. I've called ELT reports in multiple times only to be disregarded and then listen to the **** WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP all the way to my destination. And in real crashes, there are a lot of ways to disable an ELT, especially if a fire results. 406s only ping once per minute, so they have to live that long. Sometimes they last for milliseconds.

Thanks, makes sense. When I used to use DUATS, they did have a delay-designating notation for VFR plans, which is why I was wondering about LMFS. But you're right that the feature has no apparent value.

While flight following doesn't "guarantee" SAR,

There are very few guarantees in this life but according to AIM 6-2-6(f)

Radar facilities providing radar flight following or advisories consider the loss of radar and radios, without service termination notice, to be a possible emergency. Pilots receiving VFR services from radar facilities should be aware that SAR may be initiated under these circumstances.​

Only an idiot in the age of 406 would rely on a VFR flight plan for SAR.

Back