LLWS

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by wind_shear, Jan 7, 2021.

  1. wind_shear

    wind_shear Filing Flight Plan

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2021
    Messages:
    2
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    7500
    A question for the experienced pilots. What is your determining factor on making the go/no go decision with non convective LLWS? Airmet for LLWS along route of flight with or without Airmet tango for moderate turbulence from sfc-xyz, LLWS in the TAF below a specific altitude at departure/destination/alt airport (personal minimum) we know LLWS is capped at 2000ft AGL. Will you cancel your flight based on just one of these? a combination?
     
  2. Sac Arrow

    Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

    Joined:
    May 11, 2010
    Messages:
    17,385
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Bro do you even lift
    Kinda depends on the plane I think. Small planes deal with low level wind shear better than big ones.
     
  3. PaulS

    PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    10,493
    Location:
    New England
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    PaulS
    Depends, LLWS at altitude is generally a non issue for small piston planes unless it is associated with mod to severe turbulence. On final it can make things sporty, but if you watch for it and it's not excessive, you can easily deal with it. Airliner on final can be a different story.
     
  4. wind_shear

    wind_shear Filing Flight Plan

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2021
    Messages:
    2
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    7500
    Good point, we can just use a C172, C182, or the Piper equivalent for this example
     
  5. Sac Arrow

    Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

    Joined:
    May 11, 2010
    Messages:
    17,385
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Bro do you even lift
    As stated above, barring severe turbulence, it's generally a non issue for the planes you cite, but certainly something to be aware of.
     
  6. Jeff Oslick

    Jeff Oslick En-Route

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2005
    Messages:
    4,106
    Location:
    Fullerton, CA
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    The problem with the "not a problem enroute" theory is if you have a problem and need to land.

    I went up once when LLWS happened to me. Ended up in a 45+ degree bank at 300' AGL after takeoff in a 172, and that 45 degree bank was essentially instantaneous. This was winter flying in New England (New Bedford, MA).

    Nope, not doing it again. That was 25 years ago, and I've cancelled at least a few flights due to LLWS since then. This event and riding a thermal near Palm Springs were the only times I've ever felt like I did not have complete control of the plane I was flying.
     
  7. PaulS

    PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    10,493
    Location:
    New England
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    PaulS
    I'll fly a heavier airplane in winds I wouldn't want to be in a 172 in. That's why it depends. In the SR22 up to +10 - 5 or vice versa generally isn't an issue, just keeps you on your toes on final. Would not want to do that in a 172. We get shear here in New England quite a bit. Most of the time it's a little bumpy and makes the airspeed indicator jump around when you see it. Usually it's gusty and you have a gust factor in your approach speed. At altitude during cruise, unless it's associated with turbulence, you barely notice it, in a heavier airplane.
     
  8. Clip4

    Clip4 Final Approach

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    Messages:
    5,804
    Location:
    A Rubber Room
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Cli4ord
    There are a lot of factors, day vs night, runway orientation, width and length, trees, buildings, terrain proximity to the runway producing mechanical turbulence, aircraft near gross weight or near zero fuel, pilot fatigue, currency/proficiency, mission.
     
  9. RyanB

    RyanB Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    12,626
    Location:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Ryan
    Depends, if it’s just a local joy ride or something, I’d cancel most definitely. If I’m trying to get home and all other conditions are favorable, than I’d fly it.
    That would just be considered wind shear, as LLWS doesn’t occur at altitude. The pedantic in me had to mention this. ;)
     
  10. PaulS

    PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    10,493
    Location:
    New England
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    PaulS
    LOL
     
  11. WannFly

    WannFly Final Approach

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2016
    Messages:
    5,971
    Location:
    KFAR
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Priyo
    Depends on the type of LLWS for me. 50 kts from W when winds are from S on the ground at 400 AGL for a joy ride? No thanks.

    25 kts under same circumstances at 1000 AGL, I will go.

    Anything above 15 kts from completely opposite direction - no.

    Up till few months ago I used to cancel a lot more than I do now. Now when I see LLWS warning I dive into the wind aloft and if I think it’s mostly stable or not from opposing directions, I will take a call and mostly go.