Llano is always a good destination

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
And a decent place to get a nice photo, too!

10415647_674941409225647_5725640159456410439_n.jpg

10417693_674941339225654_4497325434281563395_n.jpg

Took pictures for my website, and because I've been contemplating selling her - not because I don't like her, but now that we have a baby it's hard to go places together with all three of us. Might have to see if I can move up to a Stinson 108 or the like.

Ryan

In the early 1990s I had some of the best BBQ in my life in Llano. Is that place still open?

Beautiful airplane, and great shots! When you get serious about selling, I'd love to take a look.

Thanks for sharing and anywhere in Central Texas is the best! :)

You know, I'm a big BBQ fan, but I wasn't a huge fan of Coopers. Everyone else seems to love it though, so maybe it was just me. Seemed too salty.

I loved Cooper's. Is Larry still managing the airport from his golf cart?

I loved Cooper's. Is Larry still managing the airport from his golf cart?

He's a fixture. You still take those funky passenger vans over to the restaurant.

So I flew down there one time with a friend of mine. We ate, talked awhile, and flew back. We get on with approach and they tell me to take down a number. I was freaked out thinking I did something wrong. We land at Addison and I call the number with a lot of trepidation. Apparently my buddy left his wallet on the couch in Llano. Larry gave it to another aircraft that was coming back to Addison after us. It was their number approach gave us. They meet us and my friend got his wallet back. I've never forgotten that extra effort to save us from a lot of hassle.

You still take those funky passenger vans over to the restaurant.

Back in my day, they were old police Crown Vics with inop power steering. It took some work to drive those damned things! I'd call in range on CTAF, and Larry would ask me to do a circle around Cooper's to determine the length of the line.

Good times. Glad to hear he's still doing okay.

I didn't eat in Llano. Flew back to Burnet and went with my wife to Post Mountain BBQ just off of the square. I like their BBQ and enjoy the atmosphere there. They are only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Coopers is OK but I think it's a bit over-rated.

Coopers seemed pretty good a few years ago. Of course we just flew 1100nm to try it.
phonediumpapril2012158.jpg

Llano-RV7-N155BK-22.jpg

Crawfish festival was good too.
phonediumpapril2012132.jpg

Coopers has gotten a little big for their britches. They also cook way to many meats. Brisket, steaks, pork chops, pork loin, chicken, cabrito, and occasionally prime rib. Plus they have way to many sides. They've gone from great to mediocre.

That's a bummer. It's been about 15 years for me too. Oh well. :(

You know, I'm a big BBQ fan, but I wasn't a huge fan of Coopers. Everyone else seems to love it though, so maybe it was just me. Seemed too salty.

All my airplane and motorcycle friends love Coopers. I hate it. The actual meat is OK, but nothing that special. Everything else is crap, from standing in line, the horrible slop that they call 'cobbler', the plastic white bread, the uncomfortable picnic tables, the flies, etc. The whole experience would embarrass a cave man IMHO. YMMV.

I'm sure it's just me, but I'll take the County Line any day of the week.

Back