Livingston, TX to Orlando, Fl

jonrood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jonrood
The family is headed to Orlando for Forth of July weekend. We are starting 00R (Livingston). This is our first LONG family cross country, and I am looking for any "cool or cheap fuel stops " along the way. We are thinking first stop KJKA for fuel, potty, lunch and then along the coast to KORL.

How would you do it?? GO!!!!!

Jon

When you mention cheap fuel stops I immediately think of KISM and its Kissimmee Jet Center. They are a little spartan but have treated me well and their fuel prices have been fabulous. (If you are set on KORL, then enjoy it. I haven't looked at their fuel prices ever.)

Edit: I just did look at the fuel prices, and if you can handle the self serve at Sheltair at KORL it is 5.20 a gallon for 100ll. KISM is 5.00 full serve.

Last edited:
Go to air nav and let them get you the cheapest route. Have to agree that kism is a good stop . Close to Disney without all the hassle.

I think we can make KTLH if we get high with a tailwind, plus that route takes us over lots of alternates. I think KISM makes great sense too.:yes:

Thanks guys,
Jon

Yup, airnav.com, select fuel prices, then plan a trip. Put your stuff in and it'll find the cheapest route. That is all the published fuel prices that are on airnav. I've found cheaper fuel by calling around a few times, but it's a hassle.

I would avoid TLH, only one FBO well named Million Air. At least they now have a SS pump but have charged me handling fees in the past.
KISM is a great airport and Kissimmee Jet Center is the best. Not fancy but my kind of FBO.
Airnav has some great fuel prices shown.

If you're just going to stop-and-go for fuel, there are any number of options along the coast and a good web-based flight planner will hook you up. If you want to stop and spend the night, I'd recommend Pensacola. You've got the beach, Fort Pickens, the National Naval Aviation museum (and the Pensacola lighthouse right next door), and plenty of dining options.

On your way home, try to plan a stop at L38 in Gonzales, LA and take the crew car to The Cabin for lunch or dinner.

Last edited:
I fly from Texas to South Florida with some frequency. When I need to stop heading east, I really like KJKA. It is a nice FBO with a cool little shack that has couches, TVs and snacks, including hot snacks. The staff has always been great and the fuel prices are competitive.

In addition, you are in Gulf Shores, so if you want to leave the airport for a little bit, you are relatively close to the beaches with lots of restaurant options.

One of the most memorable trips that my family has taken is when we got stuck there waiting for weather in the Gulf and Florida to clear. We went to one of the touristy restaurants on the beach and the kids had an absolute blast! The weather cleared and we were on our way home.

I also agree with those who recommend KISM for the Disney area. It is much closer and easier to access the Disney properties from KISM than KORL. If you need to be downtown, KORL is the place to go.

Enjoy the trip. Most of the fun of using your airplane to travel is the journey!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Back