liveatc.net requirements?

motospeed9058

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rhall9058
Does anybody know if it's a requirement to have an operational tower for liveatc.net to work properly? We don't have a tower at KFDK, but when I pull it up on liveatc, the status is listed as "up" and I can connect to it. But there is no radio traffic whatsoever. I can see planes in the pattern, I know there is plenty of chatter going on, but no transmissions over liveatc.

All I wanted to do is listen and learn from my local field so I could get comfortable with the local comms and requirements, but liveatc doesn't love me anymore. :no: Does anybody else have a suggested airfield that's not a major airport where a GA student can listen and learn without having to learn auctioneer language to understand the speed at which phrases are being said? :dunno:

Live ATC is a network of people who provide the streaming feeds on one or more frequencies. When multiple frequencies are listed they're all mixed together. All UP means is that the feed is working, it could be that the receivers are in fact turned off or otherwise broken so the stream never has anything.

If you have questoins on LIVE ATC, they have their own forums.

Motospeed, if you search LiveATC by frequency (second box down on left), and search for a CTAF frequency like 122.7 you'll come up with a number of untowered fields. As you've noticed, just because a feed is listed as UP doesn't mean it'll have audio on it. Receivers fail, soundcards fail, antennas are struck by lightning. UP just means the serving PC is connected to LiveATC's system.

Are you looking for an untowered field where CTAF calls are made, or a quiet Class D towered field?

I'll toss a note to Dave about that one... sometimes the feed person doesn't know the radio failed.

Are you looking for an untowered field where CTAF calls are made, or a quiet Class D towered field?

Just looking for CTAF. I'd like to listen into just GA radio traffic (I guess class D would work as well). KFDK is untowerd (for the time being), and I was hoping just to listen and learn to get the lay of the land. I've got some of it down while actually training, but I'd like to learn more when I'm not flying.

Dave is Dave Pascoe, the Wizard behind the curtain at LiveATC.net. ;)

If you're a Twitter user, he monitors @LiveATC for stuff like this.

A polite note that a feed has been silent for a couple of days and he'll gladly check with the feed operator.

He has a day job, so not always instant-response but he's very on the ball on checking it regularly.

(The KAPA TWR feed is in one of my upstairs bedrooms of my house.)

He's also a fun guy to meet up with at Oshkosh. Good geek commentary on new electronics toys. ;)

Back