Liveatc.net (KLBE) Arnold Palmer memorial service

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I fly out of KLBE also known as Arnold Palmer Regional Airport. I'm listening to a steady stream of Gulfstreams coming in for Arnold's memorial service today at a nearby cathedral. It struck me that all the planes coming in for the service will be contacting Palmer tower. Not sure why I found that interesting, but thought it was kind of cool.

Unfortunately, something happened with the feed. Sounds like an open mic, but it's been buzzing for quite awhile now.

They have Arnie's plane doing a flyover. The cathedral is only about a mile from the 23 end of the runway.

They have Arnie's plane doing a flyover. The cathedral is only about a mile from the 23 end of the runway.
That's a great gesture. Gonna mix up some lemonade and ice tea, and raise a glass to The King today.

Service was broadcast on ESPN and The Golf Channel. Very well done -- watched it all. Lots of good stories about Arnie. Vince Gil sang two songs and being a fan of Gil I can say he never sounded better. He was Arnie's favorite singer although several speakers mentioned Arnie's loss of hearing in later years giving Gil the best line of the day saying he wondered if Arnie ever heard a word he sang! President of Cessna was very complimentary of Arnie's flying skills.

Seems when someone passes people usually have only good things to say about them. Heard quite often about how genuine Arnie was and when he spoke to you made you feel like the only one in the world. I can attest to that through my brother. He was flying either down to Orlando or back to Chicago - don't remember which flight it was - and had his twin sons with him, about 8 yrs old. For some reason, Arnie was on the same commercial flight as my brother. Being an avid golfer, and a darn good one at that, he introduced himself and his twins to Arnie. Arnie took the time to speak with all three, looking them square in the eye while speaking. Made my brother's day and I hope the twins remember meeting The King. Arnie passed on my brother's birthday!

The flyover was great. Pilot Pete had taken Arnie's urn, strapped into the seat, for a final ride days before. I'm sure Arnie enjoyed that!

Service was broadcast on ESPN and The Golf Channel. Very well done -- watched it all. Lots of good stories about Arnie. Vince Gil sang two songs and being a fan of Gil I can say he never sounded better. He was Arnie's favorite singer although several speakers mentioned Arnie's loss of hearing in later years giving Gil the best line of the day saying he wondered if Arnie ever heard a word he sang! President of Cessna was very complimentary of Arnie's flying skills.

Seems when someone passes people usually have only good things to say about them. Heard quite often about how genuine Arnie was and when he spoke to you made you feel like the only one in the world. I can attest to that through my brother. He was flying either down to Orlando or back to Chicago - don't remember which flight it was - and had his twin sons with him, about 8 yrs old. For some reason, Arnie was on the same commercial flight as my brother. Being an avid golfer, and a darn good one at that, he introduced himself and his twins to Arnie. Arnie took the time to speak with all three, looking them square in the eye while speaking. Made my brother's day and I hope the twins remember meeting The King. Arnie passed on my brother's birthday!

The flyover was great. Pilot Pete had taken Arnie's urn, strapped into the seat, for a final ride days before. I'm sure Arnie enjoyed that!

Great story! Like Arnie, my two biggest passions are golfing( played college golf) and flying. He seemed to be an absolutely genuine person! It's amazing that he flew jets all over the country until fairly recently( I think we'll into his 70's.)

Arnie was better known for golfing but he must have been a heck of an airman. So I'll salute him by saying "clear skies and tailwinds."

I believe Palmer was the owner of the first Citation X sold by Cessna.

He was quite an accomplished pilot.

Back