Live Chat??? How???

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
All I get when I click on "Live Chat" at the top of the screen next to Log Out is a pale blue screen with nothing on it. What's the secret to getting Live Chat working properly?

All I get when I click on "Live Chat" at the top of the screen next to Log Out is a pale blue screen with nothing on it. What's the secret to getting Live Chat working properly?

Keep trying. That happens to me occasionally. If it happens ALL the time, I can't help you. :no:

This is only my third or fourth day on this board, but so far it has happened 100% of the time, maybe fifteen or twenty tries.

Do you have Flash installed?

How can you tell?
Well, you might find that all you get when you click on "Live Chat" at the top of the screen next to Log Out is a pale blue screen with nothing on it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Actually, I think that determining whether the Flash plugin is installed depends on the browser you're using. In FireFox 3, select Tools --> Add-ons, click the Plugins tab, and look for Shockwave Flash.

Do y' think that a note to that effect somewhere in the FAQs might be in order?

I just spent a very frustrating hour trying to get firefox to give me flash support and got absolutely nowhere. I'm open to suggestions, or I'll get my sleep-in web guru to help when she gets home.

Jim

No, but I finally got the Flash version from Mozilla to load up after another hour of dicking around. Mozilla shows Flash loaded as a plug-in, but the same blue screen of death is still what I get when I try to go to Live Chat.

Jim

Wait a minute or two for a link to appear so that you can download the latest Flash Player. If it doesn't, try this one: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

For a discussion about this problem, read
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22488

Which is exactly why, at my company, the geeks who think all these digital toys are neat and the nerds who want to implement them are kept WAY AWAY from the company website. The website is "written" by the phone crew and tech support folks who have to deal with the "customer" on a day in and day out basis. The geeks and the nerds are kept on a SHORT leash to implement simple and effective tools to do what the company needs, not what the techies want.

You turn the digital asylum over to the inmates and you get exactly what you have here. "You've got to have Flash because it is the latest and greatest" and "99% of browsers have it" (which is a crock of bushwa). That just ain't true, and I'll give you data to back that up.

Sorry, folks, your board of directors needs to put a choke-chain on your geek-nerds and get back to bonehead simple communications.

Sorry we tried to help.

It's hard to respond to your emails when you block incoming emails.

Back to your original programming....

I guess I do not understand the issue with loading Flash, Java or similar programs as long as you uncheck all the additional junk that may download and install with them. Such as, when the provider is trying to install another browser or Adobe photo album or other program when you seek the desired program by itself. I simply do not let that happen.

Oddly, I'm still using IE and I don't have all the problems so many others claim. Why? I don't let just any cookie install itself. I have to accept each and every one and I don't allow dynamic HTML. I stay in control of what happens on my computer, not the web site.

Unfortunately, most users are not that disciplined.

Which is exactly why, at my company, the geeks who think all these digital toys are neat and the nerds who want to implement them are kept WAY AWAY from the company website. The website is "written" by the phone crew and tech support folks who have to deal with the "customer" on a day in and day out basis. The geeks and the nerds are kept on a SHORT leash to implement simple and effective tools to do what the company needs, not what the techies want.

You turn the digital asylum over to the inmates and you get exactly what you have here. "You've got to have Flash because it is the latest and greatest" and "99% of browsers have it" (which is a crock of bushwa). That just ain't true, and I'll give you data to back that up.

Sorry, folks, your board of directors needs to put a choke-chain on your geek-nerds and get back to bonehead simple communications.

Wow. That was quite uncalled for. When exactly did anybody say "You've got to have Flash because it is the latest and greatest"? I simply said it was necessary in order to use the tool that was chosen. That said, I'm not one of the "inmates" running this thing...I'm just a simple user.

By the way, I have data as well. One of the websites that I run analytics for took 800,000+ visits in one recent month and 1.7% of the visitors did not have flash installed. I'm sorry, though. I guess that's 98.3%...not 99%.

We're glad to have you around. But it would be nice if you would come on in and get to know some people around here before you start slinging mud.

Last edited:

I've never understood the mindset of people who think that because they don't pay for something, they can complain about it...

I've never understood the mindset of people who think that because they don't pay for something, they can complain about it...
Hey, Chuck, I think you and Jesse do a bang-up job. I am grateful for all the work you have put into this website. Don't know what I would do without it. Possibly go mad.

Do no take personally any comments or criticism. Even those that appear to be aimed at you personally. (And if it weren't for nerds and geeks, we'd all be up Sh*ts Creek.)

Thanks.

Hey Jim? Just a heads up - this little place of ours is kind of like the front porch online - you know? Just a friendly little place to hang out and chat. We're all friends here - there's no big corporate faceless IT org that runs it. Maybe get to know us here a little before kicking sand and throwing rocks?

Thanks - and welcome aboard.

As someone who used to take the "Why the he** isn't this working!?" phone calls in IT Support for a billion-dollar-per-year international corporation, I can understand your frustration when something doesn't work on YOUR computer.

At the same time, I have to remind you that this is NOT a billion-dollar-per-year international corporation. This board is setup, run, managed, and paid for by local airport bums just like the rest of us here. Everything that is done on this site is done on a strictly volunteer basis. As a current "geek/nerd" web admin for a small NPO, I can tell you that these things do not run themselves. The "geek/nerds" that keep this place running so smoothly (ever found another site that actually meets the 4-9's uptime standard while maintaining so much dynamic user interaction?) spend NUMEROUS hours out of their PERSONAL schedule to make this place happen. In fact, if you look back in history about a week or so, the users of this board came out in full-force to make monetary donations (the only time money has been 'requested' for any aspect of the site) to have a secure chat option available to us. Where else would you find users of a system so willing to donate their hard-earned cash simply because the "geek/nerd" said it would be useful? That's how much trust the users of this site have placed in the management.

So, while you had a frustrating experience getting everything setup to use extra services of PoA (first the struggle with the signature pic, now the chat problem), understand that everything that happens here is on a volunteer basis. There isn't a whole lot of R&D budget ($0 to be precise) for this place to make sure it is compatible with every single setup bouncing along on the information superhighway. I'm pretty sure that the "geek/nerds" that operate this place have kept track of your problems and have been/are looking for ways to prevent it happening in the future. To that I say, Thanks, Jim for finding a weak point in the PoA system - Because of your struggles, future users will not have to go through what you did to get up and running.

With all that said, welcome to PoA. It looks like you've got a helluva lot of flying experience and I'm sure some great stories to tell, so let's all quit worrying about this techie stuff and go talk about what's really important - flying.

There is an old story about a guy that came home to find his wife sobbing and saying that the owner of the town drug store had insulted her. The guy ran down the street and confronted the druggist.

The druggist said, "Sir, please listen to my story. We both live in a small town on the UP of Michigan. Last night, the ice storm knocked out the power to my house so my alarm didn't go off and I woke up an hour late. My house was nearly frozen because the heater blower ran on the electric, and so did the water heater. I took an icewater bath and went to start my car to go downtown to open up the store only to find a dead car battery. The jumper cables and spare battery were at the other end of the yard in the shed where I had left them, so I went out the side garage door to get them, only to slip on the sheet ice and bang my head on the garage door, which promptly shut and locked me out. I went and got the battery and cables, but since I had left my keys in the car, I had to break a window on the garage door to get into the garage, which cut and bloodied my hand and arm. I finally got the car started and got down to the store only to find that in the dark I had picked up the wrong set of keys and the store keys were on the other ring.

I ran back home, got the other set of keys, and finally got the store open nearly two hours late with a long line of people outside waiting for me. The cash register was out of change, so I started breaking apart coin rolls and dropped a quarter on the floor. I bent down to pick up the quarter and when I straightened up I hit my head on the cash register drawer and knocked out all the coins from the drawer onto the floor and put a gash in the back of my head. When I recovered from that I heard a loud crash and found that the little hellion boy one of my customers brought with her ran smack dab into a full shelf of pill bottles, knocking over the entire shelf.

At that moment, sir, your wife came up to me and asked how to use a rectal thermometer, and sorry as I am sir, I told her."

My apologies to the gang for what was a day from hell around here yesterday ... including severely twisting my ankle because I was favoring the leg with the sprained knee. I'll be a bit more circumspect with my comments in the future.

And to the fellow who said I blocked email, I'd like to know what address you used. I do use MailWasher, but I've set the "reject" filter to zero.

And to the fellow who commented on the quality of our company website, I'll pass along your regards to my webmaster-wife {;-)

forgiven!!! in spades! :) hope your ankle gets better soon!

I used the following link which was contained in your response to my private message offering to help you set up your little signature map:

To email weirdjim, you can use this online form:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=4908

Which, when used, generates the automated response:

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

Which I interpreted to mean you did not wish to receive emails.

Maybe I misread the response.

I have been known to read into things meanings that are not implied.

I'll be more careful in the future.

And to the fellow who said I blocked email, I'd like to know what address you used. I do use MailWasher, but I've set the "reject" filter to zero.

Perhaps "reject email" is the default setting on this board and I'm not smart enough to find it. I'll go noodle around in my "Control Panel" and see if I missed changing that setting.

It certainly wasn't on porpoise. (But that's a fishy response {;-) )

Jim

Yeah, I found it in the options. I'm used to the boards that make changes dynamically as you do the checkbox and not have to scroll all the way down to hit "Save" or whatever. I checked the email boxes and then probably didn't hit the SAVE button. It is fixed now.

Perhaps "reject email" is the default setting on this board and I'm not smart enough to find it. I'll go noodle around in my "Control Panel" and see if I missed changing that setting.

It certainly wasn't on porpoise. (But that's a fishy response {;-) )

Jim
Don't know if it's the default setting, but you can set it as you desire by clicking "User CP" in the top navigation bar and then selecting "Edit Options" under "Settings & Options" on the left. You'll find the appropriate settings under Receive Email.
Receive Email
From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
Receive Email from Administrators

You can allow other members to send you email messages.
Receive Email from Other Members

If you do not want to receive an email for each request of friendship, you may disable this option.
Receive Friendship Request Email

I'm still getting the pale blue screen. I miss chatting with all of you! I downloaded the latest version of flash and tried using ie. I'll try again another day.

:dunno:

What browser are you using, Petra? I'm still using IE6 (Dinosaur Explorer?), and it works fine on that.

Petra, are you using some sort of internet security/firewall system? Stull like Norton (ugh) has been know to be overly anal in dealing with certain things. Try disabling your security pkg (for a few minutes), and try again

I have Firefox 2.0.0.16 and the latest version of flash and quite often (as recent as just now) I have to reload the chat page two or three times before the flash engine will cough to life.

Data point...

I don't typically enter the chat room but I did just now to see if it would come up okay.

It came right up.

IE7 here.

Live chat doesn't work for me on two systems. (Edit: I finally got the message I need to install Flash. Like I never had it before. :no: Like YouTube, for example doesn't work. It does. I did upgrade Firefox to 3.0. I downloaded Flash again. I ain't stopping Firefox to install it.)

The noive of youse guys letting the nerds do the web site. They teach how to run Frontpage perfectly well right in MBA school... and we all know EVERYBODY runs Windows and Internet Explorer and we should go with the those guys that invented the stuff and stop pretending that everybody does what the geeks do.

Last edited:
Back