Live ATC feed recommendations

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Are there any feeds that are interesting but not very very busy or overwhelming/fast that a new PP student could listen to and get their ears started to hearing the way it goes?
Nate, how is KAPA as a feed?

KBVI is a purely student environment during the week, and somewhat during the weekends. Students learning to fly, students in the tower. It's a pretty unique system.

KAPA is pretty quiet except on weekends. I'm not sure how to answer the question about whether it'd be good for a student pilot though. Might like it, might hit a nutty busy time when it'd sound intimidating. ??? Might just help someone realize that controllers don't bite. :)

Thanks guys. He will check them out. Also el paso approach which is near here

KMYF on liveATC is a good one - busy enough to not have alot of dead silence but plenty of students in the pattern to listen to in addition to IFR traffic.

Of course, our definitions of "quiet" probably differ too... it's rare to go more than an hour (max) without hearing something on the KAPA feed since they're 4th busiest GA airport in the country right now... It's been getting busier lately too.

My definition of "quiet" might mean "there's gaps between transmissions during the week... on the weekends, there's not." :) :) :)

I liked listening to KRDG which is a Class D with its own approach control.

It's a clear feed. The provider is an FBO on the field.

Make sure your student is aware that Live ATC has archives:

http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php

so your student can listen to a sunny Saturday afternoon on a rainy Tuesday night.

Jeanie, did you know you can listen for 30 days? Archives, I mean. So - let's say you and your student fly near an airport with a CTAF (or tower) that is only busy on Saturdays around breakfast or lunch time due to a restaurant on field. Your student can go to the archives and listen to Saturday mornings. Otherwise, it is a "crap shoot" and you hear silence most nights if you listen to "live". Also, for example in my area, places aren't always clear, and they have a guide which has a map and shows you your area and what's transmitting, including frequency codes so you know you have the right one. Have fun.

You can also grab the archives and critique your own radio work later after landing... :)

Sometimes it's nice to know what your radio calls really sounded like...

You can also grab the archives and critique your own radio work later after landing... :)

Sometimes it's nice to know what your radio calls really sounded like...

Yes, I did that and as a student it was kind of cool (still is) to hear my radio calls - no matter how crappy.

KSAC is on liveATC and has student pilots/private and commercial (small jet center). I am doing my training at Skywalk out of KSAC. It has light times and very busy times but I think it would be a good one for a student to listen to. I did it a lot via the iPhone app to improve my radio skills..

Also grabbed feed of my flights to listen to and self critique...

Back