little too close

Geeez! And the camera plane even flew into the descending plane's wake turbulence!

ADS-B may not be a panacea, but I welcome it to give me more situational awareness of what's occurring in the airspace around me!

from the description, it was his first solo too, in a Towered field

"This was my first solo circuit. Taking responsibility for my own actions, here is what I did wrong: early downwind call to ATC was given and response was that I was #3 for landing and did I have #2 in sight. Scanning the circuit I saw an aircraft turning final. I responded that i did (my error) what I didn't see was the twin above me in the circuit. And I should have called I only have one in sight, what is the position of the other. My sense is that ATC also had the opportunity when both aircraft were on final to have called this. The low wing Dutchess and high wing C172 didn't help either PIC. My lesson: if you don't have circuit traffic in sight? Ask until you are clear. Thereby taking responsibility for your own separation. Don't rely on others. This 'luck to experience' transaction has made me 1000 times more situationally aware.."

Yeah, #2 won’t necessarily be looking for #3 and will assume that #3 is behind him but #3 needs to acquire both #1&2.

Close call.

from the description, it was his first solo too, in a Towered field

My near miss was at a towered field also - probably as close as this if not slightly closer. The Cessna approached from my right in an attempt to turn from base to final... except I was already on short final and cleared to land. My CFI and I were pretty excited to say the least... and the Cessna pilot was rattled too. He apologized afterwards - but to be honest, I am glad that we were all able to land safely and talk about it (instead of the alternative.)

Yowza! I've had a couple of close calls, but that's definitely a lot closer than I've ever been!

Too close for my comfort zone. Had almost the same thing happen to me while flying VFR into Myrtle Beach years ago.

Wish those cameras were out in the 80's - would have had scary video. In a light twin, instrument approach (rwy 7) on one engine, student recovering from bypass heart surgery (glad he was under the hood), on tower frequency, cleared to land #2 behind a 152 which was no factor. Cheyenne calls in 5 SE, told to cross mid-field, enter left downwind #3 following Seneca at the outer marker. I got a visual on him as he crossed the field, he entered left downwind and passed off my left. Everything good. We continued our approach and about 500 ft agl this terrible noise came roaring overhead. Yeah, the Cheyenne! If I could have freeze framed that moment I could have counted every rivet on the undercarriage of that plane. I still to this day do not understand how he missed us with his gear. Luckily he overshot the final course a bit which gave me the space to firewall both throttles and do a climbing left turn to avoid him. Paperwork was filed and this wasn't his first rodeo so he lost his ticket. He was flying the plane for Piper bringing it up for a prospective buyer. Radar returns pulled for the paperwork couldn't separate us. A teacher leaving a nearby school heard the planes above, looked up and said one plane had to take drastic action to avoid the other. She had called the tower to report what she saw. The Cheyenne pilot never responded to calls from tower or ground upon landing. I, of course, had made them aware of what happened about the same time they were trying to figure out where the Seneca went!! And yes, they should have been paying closer attention. At that time ORL's tower was over the terminal. He was taxing to the terminal and was met by tower supervisor and security. He didn't want to show his identification until security advised him it would be in his best interest!

That's the closest I ever came to a midair. I think any closer and we both would have been tangled up. Have to wonder how a pilot flying for Piper couldn't tell the difference between a Seneca and a Cessna.

I've had that happen ... TWICE ... and learned the first time which saved me the second (much closer).

I advise looking at the video at 30 seconds ... if you get a shadow across your dash/glare shield DIVE, my second encounter was so close if I turned at all I would've put the up wing into the other AC. Both were over-takes from behind (I was in a C-152).

I had the same thing happen about that close. I was in a 172 and a Saratoga overtook me. His fault, he was told to follow me but never had me in sight. It took every thing I had not to deck him when he said, "I had you on TCAS, but I never saw you" when I talked to him on the ramp afterwards.

My closest was a little bit closer than that but not by much. Converging courses almost parallel. Both headed for the same airport. Same altitude. No relative movement.

Absofreakinglutely not fun when the other aircraft is finally close enough their size growing in the window is the only relative motion you finally see. Couldn’t have done a prettier formation join but way too far forward (acute) and not sucked, but that definitely wasn’t the goal that day.

Technically I was the converging aircraft but not by much. I saw a head with Ray Bans snap around to his left as I banked away left. He banked about a second later which was just his reaction time to seeing me about to whack him from the side.

Trajectory wise, I was already off of the collision course by the time he rolled, but he still may have saved both of us if I hadn’t seen him.

If I had not had time to bank I hope I would have at least slammed a rudder pedal to the floor and stopped the closure rate between the two aircraft.

Second closest was a takeoff from a towered airport where we were told “fly runway heading” and the aircraft behind us was many knots faster and not given any collision avoidance instructions at all.

He overtook and blasted overhead and to the right. Mooney. I don’t think he ever saw us. We were hidden from him by his cowl forward and his wing as he barely out-climbed us.

Probably about another 30’ away compared to the video. Still not great but no need for radical maneuvers. He was past us and long gone before we thought about doing anything.

This is why I slip on final. To get the freakin cowl outta the way so I can see what's in front of me.

Back