Little tape should fix that right up...

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Was on a short flight back from a business trip on Friday and happened to catch some maintenance workers taping over a spot on the flaps. Ultimately didn't work out though as since the tape wasn't flush, wind got under it and it bubbled up once the plane was off the ground and peeled back.

When we landed the tape was inside out and the flaps closed just as the spoilers came down. I silently groaned thinking about all the adhesive that is now sticking to the underside of the spoilers on the flaps..

Told the captain about it when I disembarked and his response was "Again?" lol..

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0177.jpg IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0186.jpg

That Airbus wing sure has seen better days!

Good old speed tape.

Had to be pretty bad in the tape area to be worse than the inboard area closer to the cabin.

I thought the "pound the tape down with a mallet" technique was pretty interesting.

On falcons they spray those areas with "self-lubricating paint" lol. Its tight.

And people worry about piper wings falling off

I can't think of the guy's name..some movie star but disguised as a first officer.

img_0177-jpg.77197

Good grief. That thing has more smoking rivets and screw heads than the cropduster wings I used to crawl on to fuel.

Basically any time we get engineered disposition they call for the damage to get covered in 2 layers speed tape. We make a joke about spending $2k to cover it up in speed tape. It takes some effort to prevent it from it getting blown off. Works better is edge sealer is applied.

Sure don't build speed tape like they used to.....

I thought the "pound the tape down with a mallet" technique was pretty interesting.

The red thing he had was actually to smooth the tape out. He wasn’t really hammering, more like rubbing that tool around the edges to get them flush to the metal, which ultimately failed as air got in almost immediately after takeoff.

The red thing he had was actually to smooth the tape out. He wasn’t really hammering, more like rubbing that tool around the edges to get them flush to the metal, which ultimately failed as air got in almost immediately after takeoff.

Then maybe he should have hammered it down. ;)

I can't think of the guy's name..some movie star but disguised as a first officer.
Not sure why, but David Hasselhoff was the first who came to mind. That side profile I think. Ha!

It was Err Canada, Rouge. First time I've flown them actually, but then again I don't go to Canada all the time.

FTFY.

Maybe they should try calling Red Green next time...and use duct tape instead of the silver stuff. ;)

Back