little sister

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Yesterday I took my little sister to the airport to show her some airplanes. She is pretty scared of airplanes as my mom has told her that they are dangerous, etc. I was thinking perhaps if I could make her understand them better her fear would go away.

We went inside one of the KRST heated hangars and I let her look around and ask questions about anything she could. She had a LOT of questions for a seven year old asking what things were. I also turned all the nav lights / strobes / beacons on for her so she could see everything all lit up.

Here are a few pictures:
DSCF1968.JPG

DSCF1944.JPG

DSCF1943.JPG

DSCF1963.JPG

DSCF1945.JPG

DSCF1959.JPG

She seemed to have quite a bit of fun. If anyone hasn't noticed I take a *LOT OF PICTURES*. These pictures are not very good though there is a green tint you can see, I forgot to set my color temperatures for the lighting in there.

The rest are at:
http://jesseangell.com/gallery/main.php/v/pilotmandi/

She looks like she had LOTS of fun, next time take her up for a ride!

I'm not sure why parents insist on scaring their kids. My older sister had done it to her kids and none will fly with me, my little sisters kids on the other hand are fearless and will try anything. I've had such fun flying them.

Missa

Good job.

My nephew (4th grade) was terrified of flying, not sure where he got that. Once he found out I'd take him to the airport and check out some airplanes (like what you did), his eyes lit up. The next time he visited, I took him to the airport and let him climb in the driver's seat. He started pointing out all the instruments and controls and said 'I've been reading about this'.

I still haven't had the opportunity to take him for a flight yet, but I know I'll have to figure out how to keep his mom and dad from fighting over who gets the front seat first.

Matthew said:
My nephew (4th grade) <snip>

I still haven't had the opportunity to take him for a flight yet, but I know I'll have to figure out how to keep his mom and dad from fighting over who gets the front seat first.

Nah it's easy, 4th grade is like 9 right... That's old enough. He get's the front seat and they get the back!

Missa

Good job with the sister! She enjoyed it. Kids don't smile like that unless they're lovin' what they're doing.

My youngest is still waiting for her first ride. Keeps asking when the PPL will be finished so I can take her up. Might have to just grab the CFI, put the daughter in the back and go fly without doing any real lessons so she'll calm down enough for me to get back into focus! :D

My/her mom won't let her fly with me. She is absolutely terrified of flying so she must pass it on to my sister I guess.

Someday perhaps

My ex-wife was the same way with flying. She was scared and thought everyone else should be. We have three kids(2 boys & a girl ) and she would not let them near a GA airplane and would not let me get my license. One of the first things I did when I sent her packing was to start taking lessons. The oldest boy and girl love to fly and have talked about taking lessons themselfs. Don't go against your mother, but keep little sis in the loop and maybe she will follow in big brothers footsteps.

Missa said:
Nah it's easy, 4th grade is like 9 right... That's old enough. He get's the front seat and they get the back!

Missa

Yeah, I figured I'd just let them fight it out on the ground while I take him for a spin.

Awesome Jesse,

When I took my little brother (10 at the time) for his first ride he knew that mom was scared of it, and he thought he was too. Once we got into the air though he forgot all about being scared. I actually had to tell him to sit still while we were coming in to land, because he was bouncing around looking at everything.
He has been a lot of times with me since and enjoys it a lot. As do I, he is the one person I can count on going if no one else will.

Good luck,

Very nice. I fly my nieces around all the time. Which has earned me the title of 'coolest uncle' at least according to them. Their friends are very envious, at a family gathering which had a bunch of their friends I was always "Oh your the uncle with the plane, cool!"

BTW the green tint is form the hanger lights. When taking pics in artifical light you will get some color effects. Flourecent and a few others will be green while mercury vapor is yellow. You can fix it by using a color correction filter on the camera, post processing of the digital pic or use a flash. It is always better to fix it prior to recording the image on film or memory.

Its funny, some kids its no big deal, others you might think they're going to enter the "Matrix". Good job with Sis.

Invariably EVERY kid I take flying falls asleep.

smigaldi said:
You can fix it by using a color correction filter on the camera, post processing of the digital pic or use a flash. It is always better to fix it prior to recording the image on film or memory.

Yeah. Typically I'll set the white balance to compensate for the lighting but I just plain forgot... Doh. Oh well.

jangell said:
Yeah. Typically I'll set the white balance to compensate for the lighting but I just plain forgot... Doh. Oh well.

Fortunately with digital there's really very little downside to correcting ex post facto. You basically give up a tiny bit of dynamic range.

WRT your sister, I can clearly see that she hates airplanes :no:.

Good job, Jesse, keep her in the loop for sure. See if you could talk your mom into bringing her to a Young Eagles rally, even if she doesn't let her fly (she might change her mind after talking to other parents) they both can have aviation related fun. There is a great one UND EAA Ch 1342 puts on in Crookston MN (CKN)each year! (My chapter helps them out, and they help us out at our fly in at GAF). Might be bit far for her to come but you can hop over and fly some kids--we always need more pilots.

The kids have a blast, and so do the parents. I can't tell you how many nervous parents relented after they saw the kids that had gone up simply glowing when they came back down.

(And fixing the color, brightness, and etc. in digital photos is tres easy if you have Photoshop)

terry

Cut outta work early yesterday to take a 15yo wannabe around the hills in the crystal clear skies with vis >100nm - he did all the flying from 100'agl to 100' agl, a couple T & G's thrown in (one with a herd of cats on the runway!?) and he was a-grinnin all the way home! Tried not to undo the couple of lessons he's had with real instructors, his take-home from it was
-quit staring at the instruments, head outside to ascertain the airplane's attitude, then briefly in to GLANCE at the panel (when I gave him an altitude he made that his cue to glue his eyes to the altimeter needle and then we started going all over the sky)
-trim wheel a) USE IT (I checked the trim on final once and he must have been pulling 20 lbs!) b) 1/4 turn at a time!
-see and be seen with emphasis on SEE! - get your eyes and head moving around!
He did GREAT (positive attitude, not a knowitall helps), and made my day.... this instructing stuff might be fun, should I ever officially learn to do it!

-
-
-

Last edited:
Back