Listening to the Blue Angels practising...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
The Blue Angels are in Hillsboro, Oregon for the airshow this weekend. The hams at Intel in Hillsboro have receivers connected to the intranet and I'm able to listen in at my desk. Sorry, it's behind our firewall. I tried from home last night, no joy.

Right now they're running their routines and calling all the local landmarks that they'll use for the show. I'm sure someone on the ground is taking notes for their debrief. A LOT of information is being gathered. That is one hard working bunch of fliers.

That's just not fair, Ghery!:mad: :rofl:

Hope you enjoy their comms.

Jim

I think we've got receivers picking up all the appropriate frequencies, VHF and UHF. Last year when that jet crashed we were the only source the FAA and NTSB had for a complete audio recording of the event. Security cameras caught valuable video, too. Handy having a bunch of geeks nearby.

Are show comms on UHF or VHF?

UHF, with some VHF. One of our guys spent his lunch hour outside (building basically across the street from HIO) with a scanner and came up with the following frequency list -

346.5 MHz AM Ground start
255.2 MHz AM Ground chatter (Maintenance Officer "MO" to planes)
284.25 MHz AM Show center (used by planes on show line)
275.35 MHz AM Diamond/delta (BA 1 - 4, 5 & 6 when in six-ship formation)
237.8 MHz AM Solos
305.5 MHz AM Unknown, but saw activity on it

Comm cart:
139.8125 MHz NFM Ground maintenance chatter
142.6125 MHz NFM Comm cart to planes

Callsign update:

1. Boss
2. Opie
3. Taurus
4. Doug
5. JB
6. Merlin

Enjoy when they come to an airport near you.

I don't know about the radio frequencies, but I sure had a great time watching them practice prior to the air show in Tampa, FL.

I attended a golf fund-raiser on the MacDill Airforce Base prior to the show.
It was very difficult staying focused on my golf game with the team flying tree-top-high over the golf course... I hope you enjoy the show. I am looking forward to next years fund-raiser!!!

I'm only 15 mins from Hillsboro. Saw them in Fargo, ND last year (or was that the year before?) and we had seats DIRECTLY across from the Blue Angel staging area. Was a cool show. I think I posted about it...got a pretty good pic of their transport doing a rocket assisted takeoff I think.

Dunno yet if I am going to HIO airshow or just finding a good hillside nearby to hang out away from the crowds. :)

But if anyone is flying into Portland and needs rides/or a place to stretch a sleeping bag for the show let me know. We've got carpet space at least.

ter

I saw them in Corpus Christi back in April... what a show! It was one of Kojack's last shows, the weekend before he was killed, may he RIP. I was able to squeeze my way up to the fence to see them do the pre-flight ritual and taxi out. Then we had good views of them doing the show itself. It was a great time... here's a couple of pics...

Attachments

• PICT0838_Small.JPG
    PICT0838_Small.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0839_Small.JPG
    PICT0839_Small.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0840_Small.JPG
    PICT0840_Small.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PICT0841_Small.JPG
    PICT0841_Small.JPG