List of IAPs

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
My Google-fu seems to be failing me, because I can't find a list of all published IAPs other than the full FAA digital TPP (https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/). Ideally, I'd like to find an easy way to get a complete list of published instrument approaches. I don't need any of the details, though, just simply the name of the approach and the airport it serves (the final approach course would be a nice bonus, but not absolutely necessary). Anybody know if/where I can find such a data set?

Only one I know of is the table of contents in the front of the approach books.

I dug through the NFDC files and it appears that they only have files on ILS (to include LOC only installations).

Does it have to be up to date? DAFIF used to have this when it existed.

Ideally, it'd not only be up to date, but easily accessed for updates as time goes on. Initially, I was hoping the FAA might have an API to call for this sort of data. Then I laughed that I thought such a thing would exist. But I really did think they'd have some sort of "index" somewhere.

I'm curious. What is it you are trying to find out?

I'm trying to find a complete list of names of published instrument approaches. Or do you mean what will I do with that list once I eventually have it?

Essentially, I have an app idea that I'd like to try building.

I'm trying to find a complete list of names of published instrument approaches. Or do you mean what will I do with that list once I eventually have it?

Essentially, I have an app idea that I'd like to try building.

You'd think there would be a list somewhere. I went to the links above and tried to follow more links but didn't find it. Good luck.

Thanks, I've seen that as well. I may put in a call to someone at the FAA to see if they have (or can easily produce) the list I'm looking for.

Any thoughts on whether I'm better off starting with the local FSDO or OK City?

I suggest: (9-amc-aerochart@faa.gov) Make the subject line: "Request information about availability of list of approach procedures" so it gets routed to someone who can answer your question.

The FSDO would be useless.

I work with this stuff all the time and am not familiar with such a list, at least not one that is public. I am sure the procedure design staff in OKC has some type of internal list.

I suggest: (9-amc-aerochart@faa.gov) Make the subject line: "Request information about availability of list of approach procedures" so it gets routed to someone who can answer your question.

The FSDO would be useless.

I work with this stuff all the time and am not familiar with such a list, at least not one that is public. I am sure the procedure design staff in OKC has some type of internal list.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I'd still like to find an easier way to keep the list updated, but I was able to find most of what I wanted in the d-TPP located at https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/

"The following tables contain all of the digital Terminal Procedure Publication files for a given effective date range. The "E" zip file conatins an xml database and Compare Files for any new or changed procedures since the previous cycle."

So I grabbed the E file, pulled out the XML, dropped it into SQL Server and selected only the fields of interest to me. In case anyone else can find a use for the file I created from the latest d-TPP (Effective: Jun 23 - Jul 21, 2016), I've uploaded a CSV to Dropbox containing the airport name, airport ID, airport ICAO ID, chart code (procedure type) and chart name. Use at your own risk, no warranties or claims of accuracy provided, etc, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uais93dx00zplxu/IAPs (July 2016).csv?dl=0

Nice list. Any chance you can get state in there as well?

I was just looking for oddball approaches in my area. I noticed that there are still a couple of SDFs in WI 50% of the SDFs in the US in fact.

Back