Linux help - mass copy of files via ftp

???

I am pretty sure I have no direct access to the named file, what ever that is...

THere ought to be a way, if you're using the poa.com IP address as the name server. I know where it is on a bsd box, the linux virual may be different.

Nah, GoDaddy has the DNS server, not us.

You could have ran your own DNS server. But it's probably not worth the effort at this point.

There is a workaround for this that would work pretty slick. Basically just do a port forward with iptables on the current server. Point port 80 at port 80 on the new system.

This way any inbound http traffic would get rerouted with no one even knowing the difference. Eventually everyone would have the new DNS settings and you would see no more inbound traffic on the Godaddy box. At that point you could shut off the forward.

With a TTL of only one hour, I'm really not too concerned if a few people have to wait a little while during the migration.

If we do the migration, then once we shut off this site, if I apply the DNS changes right away, by the time the final database backup, restore and upgrade to latest software is complete, nearly everyone will be pointing at the new locale anyway.

Nah, GoDaddy has the DNS server, not us.

OK.

I'm running DNS on my GoDaddy virtual server (you're allowed to as long as you don't host anyone else on your DNS there). I also run it on the server (as an authoritative source) at home, making it much easier to transfer back to the private box now that I've moved.

If we do the migration, then once we shut off this site, if I apply the DNS changes right away, by the time the final database backup, restore and upgrade to latest software is complete, nearly everyone will be pointing at the new locale anyway.

In a perfect world where all ISP's obey the TTL of the domain. Sure.

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/18/198259

I try to always plan for such providers by doing a forward like I suggested.

Dont get me wrong jesse, I plan to do it as suggested. I'll repoint the DNS here to the IP of the new server, and a few days later I'll move the name servers, and finally transfer the registrations themselves.

I'm just saying if a few ppl can't get here for a day or so, nobody's gonna die as a result.

I'm just saying if a few ppl can't get here for a day or so, nobody's gonna die as a result.

have you ever seen what happens to the crack junkies when they cant get a hit for a few days??? :hairraise: :eek: :hairraise:

Dont get me wrong jesse, I plan to do it as suggested. I'll repoint the DNS here to the IP of the new server, and a few days later I'll move the name servers, and finally transfer the registrations themselves.

There is a very simple rule that you can add to the old server that will capture any stray traffic and redirect it to the new server. Regardless of how quickly DNS is updating.

Back