Linksys Router question

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Is there a way to log into the administrator account on a Linksys Router (specifically a WRT54G wireless router) to see the users at any given time? I have a passphrase set on mine, but I'm curious if there is a way to do a "show users" or somesuch. I've looked at the documentation, but can find no such info.
Thanks

try looking at the DHCP client table under the DHCP tab?

I don't have a wireless linksys router, but I expect the DHCP client
table to list all users that have been served an IP.

You won't see users, but you will see the IP & MAC addresses on the client table.

You won't see users, but you will see the IP & MAC addresses on the client table.

True enough, I equated "user" with MAC addresses because I know
what they are with my own home network. my mistake.

Thanks, I finally found the right tab.
I don't think I have any piggy backers, but was asked by my wife if it was possible to check.

If you're worried about piggy-backers, and all of YOUR computers almost always have a connection, you can set the DHCP pool so that it only allows enough IPs to cover all of your equipment. (i.e. If you have 3 laptops that need an IP, set the pool to 3. If anyone else tries to connect, they won't be able to retrieve in IP)

If you're worried about piggy-backers, and all of YOUR computers almost always have a connection, you can set the DHCP pool so that it only allows enough IPs to cover all of your equipment. (i.e. If you have 3 laptops that need an IP, set the pool to 3. If anyone else tries to connect, they won't be able to retrieve in IP)

You can assign all of your computers static IP's and turn off DHCP as an alternative.

The real solution is to use a strong encryption protocol with a strong key. Anything else is worthless against a reasonably smart techie.

You can setup and enable the MAC address table. Not as convenient when visitors come over, but very good per device security.

That's one way to do it, but if you turn off any of the computers, someone can snatch the address.

I was going to point out....

You can setup and enable the MAC address table. Not as convenient when visitors come over, but very good per device security.

Which is a very good way to handle it. Use MAC filtering, together with WPA-2 and turning the SSID off. There are more complex things you can do, too (such as setting up a VPN) but that's beyond the scope of our discussion.

Still easily bypassed. It's trivial to sniff for wireless traffic and get the mac addresses that are working. From there you just spoof one of them.

Really , there is no reason to just not properly encrypt. That is the real solution.

Mac address filtering, dhcp disabling, etc just turns out to be more work and isn't actually securing much of anything.

All one would have to do to bypass that is set a fixed IP in the same subnet as the router. At least MAC limits would require an actual spoofing effort. But like Jesse said strong keys with good encryption (e.g. WPA-PSK) is easy and effective. And a low tech solution for anyone who has a basement is to locate the wireless access point below ground which significantly reduces your WAP RF range outside the structure.

Back