LinkedIn and Facebook Cooperating?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
Lately, I've noticed a number of "Do you know [inser name]?" questions on Facebook where that person is a business contact I have on LinkedIn. I work to keep LinkedIn strictly business, and FB strictly personal, with very little overlap. In almost all cases, those suggested names have no other common FB "friends" and often aren't even geographically close to me. Frankly, it's kind of creeping me out.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to have started over the past year or so.

If someone merely searches for you on Facebook or LinkedIn, they sometimes will show up as a friend/contact suggestion to you. So your Facebook friends might be searching for you on Linkedin, or your LinkedIn contacts might be searching for you on Facebook.

I believe FB bought LI a while back

:no:

If someone merely searches for you on Facebook or LinkedIn, they sometimes will show up as a friend/contact suggestion to you. So your Facebook friends might be searching for you on Linkedin, or your LinkedIn contacts might be searching for you on Facebook.

Based on the people that are shown on FB, it is very unlikely that they would be searching for me, as in most cases we aren't anything beyond acquaintances, and old ones at that.

Maybe the women just think I'm hot ... ;)

It is entirely possibly and likely that they are sharing your information. But they don't need to be. At some point you may have allowed one or the other of them access to your email contacts. Or the people who are showing up in your list may have allowed access to their contacts and you were in there.

It is entirely possibly and likely that they are sharing your information. But they don't need to be. At some point you may have allowed one or the other of them access to your email contacts. Or the people who are showing up in your list may have allowed access to their contacts and you were in there.

That's it I think. LinkedIn has a thing urging you to open up your contact list to them, and shows other contacts who have done that. I'd never think of doing that but I guess some people don't think.

If you have ever used the mobile apps for LI or FB they capture your contacts. I had my ghetto Section 8 tenants showing up! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get LinkedIn invitations from people and I have no clue who they are. Early on I made a mistake of accepting some of these invitations. I realized it was an error when my known connections started asking me to hook them up with an unknown connection. :redface:

Then sometimes I will accidentally hit "Accept" instead of "View Profile" like I did just now. :mad2:

Someone else hit it. LI will ask people to let it look through their contacts on a mobile device for matches on LI. Depending on how the mobile device is set up, that process sucks in FB contacts and sends them to LI.

The interesting trick lately on FB is the scammers who want more access to your profile so they send friend requests from various innocuous looking accounts, often with the only customization being a photo of a good looking guy or gal doing some activity they've figured out that you like already.

I get at least three friend requests a week from these fake accounts with damn cute women standing around airplanes as their only uploaded photo ever, on a weeks old account.

I wonder how many guys fall for this garbage.

When they first started happening I would search Google for the images of the person to see what the hell they came from. Usually they're some photo of some guy's girlfriend standing on or near his P-51 or some other Warbird, or a local media celeb about to get a ride in one, etc.

The scammers are pretty good at finding these photos and linking them to accounts to send "friend" requests to make aviation buffs, apparently.

It's also interesting how much you can mess with FB advertising by having strange hobbies. They get all sorts of confused and try to sell you some very strange things you don't know exist.

Back