Link Trainer Question

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
I've been putting together a presentation on the pre-WWII through WWII Link Trainer, focusing more on the technical issues (how it worked) vs. the model number/history flow.

Came across a curiosity that I haven't been able to explain. Figure there's no one here that can actually *answer* the question, but there are some bright enough folks that might suggest some alternate explanations.

First, let's look at a stock Link Trainer, probably a C-3 or C-4/ANT-18 model:
link-trainer-sml.jpg
This has everything you typically in a pre-1945 Link...the fuselage (with the access panel mod s), the wings and tail, the remote instructor's desk with instruments and Recorder.

Now, take a look at this Royal Air Force Link:
link-trainer- RAF Biplane.jpg

First off, it's a biplane... and I've only seen that in Links operated by the British Commonwealth.

The second thing is the addition of a structure on the rotating part of the base...the assembly of light-colored rods and tubing.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what this is for. There are poles going (apparently) down the ground, and the poles themselves extend (look at the one under the left wing vs. the right.

Here's another shot from a different angle, on a different session (the student is wearing a Sidcot suit), and possibly a different trainer:
link trainer biplane RAF.jpg
Notice similar structures going to the nose and tail...and an external control handle added.

Here are some of my basic theories:

1. The early Links had weak power in the bank. The one I worked on, if you banked all the way over, the trainer couldn't recover. You had to pitch down all the way. Under the nose was a small section of curved wood that would act as a runner once the machine was pitched down all the way and allow you to level the wings.

This might be a way of correcting that. The vertical posts under the wing might be telescopic/spring loaded to provide an additional bit of force to let the student level the wings.

However, I've never heard of a Link having problems in pitch. Yet the above picture shows the same structures for pitch.

Another factor is I think the stuck-in-roll issue was *deliberate*. Basically simulating a graveyard spiral.

2. Compensation for the upper wing. The Link's CG went up when the biplane wing was added, and perhaps it needed a little more help to level out. Kind of doubt that...the wing probably wasn't all that heavy, and would probably have been easier to leave it off.

3. Adding stability. The stock Link is neutral in pitch and roll. The RAF may have added the structures so that the Link had positive stability. The lever in the second photo may have been to turn the stability augmentation on and off.

4. Adding a one-handle locking mechanism. The stock Link had two steel straps to lock the Trainer in roll and pitch. Handling them wasn't difficult (have done it solo many times) but perhaps the RAF wanted a single handle that stops the whole thing.

It does appear to be just a RAF thing. Here's a shot of a biplane Link Trainer in Canadian service. Note it doesn't have the structures.
Canadian warplanes biplane link.jpg
You can see the manual locks clearly in this picture....the vertical silver strap running from the revolving octagon below to a stout pin sticking out the side of the bottom of the fuselage. You can also see the similar strap for pitch right in front of the instructor's legs, next to the silver step.

This kind of implies that the handle was not related to any add-on stability features...or able to lock up the whole trainer at once.

So, anybody got another theory? I have pinged the RAF Museum, but they're apparently not in full operation again.

Ron Wanttaja

British equivalent of OSHA? Safety structure to keep the whole shebang from overbalancing and tipping over?

Or mechanical protection: Movement limits to keep dumb cadets from overdriving the mechanisms if they lean on the wing or tail?

Could they be as simple as "snubbing" mechanisms, to limit the range of motion? The "eye" on the vertical rods, where the cable/wire attaches to the wing, looks pretty lightweight, as do the the horizontal members. Only the vertical pole seems substantial, while the horizontal bits suggest just bracing. The bracing appears to be overkill (Brit engineering?), or maybe a "field" mod with whatever material was available? Could be a local "fix" to some design shortcoming?

British equivalent of OSHA? Safety structure to keep the whole shebang from overbalancing and tipping over?
Ten thousand of these things built; the only case I know of with one tipping over was when it rolled off a truck with a Navy Captain and ensign onboard. And THAT was in a movie. :)

Extra credit for anyone who can name the movie. I've given a pretty good hint. :)

I've got several photos of British monoplane Links, none of them seem to have the structures. Can't believe the biplane versions would be worse.

Or mechanical protection: Movement limits to keep dumb cadets from overdriving the mechanisms if they lean on the wing or tail?

Mechanisms? We don't need no steenking mechanisms. The Link Trainer was an analog computer using vacuum. The actuators for pitch and roll were vacuum bellows underneath the fuselage. When you moved the stick, it let vacuum out of the opposite bellows and the other one sucked the fuselage down.
link bellows.jpg

link bellows2.jpg
When the Link "climbed", air was sucked out of a tank and the altimeter read the vacuum within. Airspeed was "stored" in a vacuum manifold; throttle forward sucked more air out of it, pitching up let air bleed in.

And, again, I can't see how the biplane would be more at risk than the monoplane.

Thanks for the input, though.

Ron Wanttaja

OMG
This doesn't answer your question.
But is sure brought back memories. I'm a 14 year old CAP Cadet 1952.View attachment 116721
Paul, do I have your permission to use that photo in my presentations?

Our CAP squadron received an old, unloved Link in the mid-70s, and I led a team of fellow cadets to get it operational. Was absolutely fascinated on how it worked, which is basically the genesis of the presentation I'm doing.

Ron Wanttaja

Could they be as simple as "snubbing" mechanisms, to limit the range of motion? The "eye" on the vertical rods, where the cable/wire attaches to the wing, looks pretty lightweight, as do the the horizontal members. Only the vertical pole seems substantial, while the horizontal bits suggest just bracing. The bracing appears to be overkill (Brit engineering?), or maybe a "field" mod with whatever material was available? Could be a local "fix" to some design shortcoming?
The Link had some pretty good hard stops. Literally, portions of the stout wood fuselage frame making contact with the stout wood revolving polygon. I personally can't see how these would have helped, much. As you say, the setup looks pretty lightweight. And it certainly was an "aftermarket" change; there's no mention of the biplane configuration in the ANT-18 or C-3/C-4/C-5 overhaul manuals. It's something the RAF did. The poles/structure aren't there in any of the RAF monoplane images I've found.
prairie aviation musem.jpg
A buddy in the Fly Baby world took the Royal Canadian Air Force pilot candidate test in the '80s....it included some time in a Link.

One of the neat things about the British and Canadian trainers...scroll up to my first posting and look BEHIND the Link. There are murals painted on the walls, so the trainee got a "realistic" view of the "terrain" when he flew without the hood on. My buddy said the Links were in circular rooms, with the murals going all the way around.

Ron Wanttaja

I notice the markings on those vertical rods. It looks to me as if the horizontal tubing is there to support the metal disk through which the vertical rod passes. The vertical piece appears to be attached to the "airframe". Makes me wonder if it's not simply a mechanism for measuring the roll/pitch movement rather than exerting any influence over it.

I notice the markings on those vertical rods. It looks to me as if the horizontal tubing is there to support the metal disk through which the vertical rod passes. The vertical piece appears to be attached to the "airframe". Makes me wonder if it's not simply a mechanism for measuring the roll/pitch movement rather than exerting any influence over it.
Ahhh. Maybe a calibration tool?

Y'know, that's not a bad thought. I mentioned my friend who flew the Link during RCAF pilot selection testing. Note that those biplane Links have the panorama painted around them, and the students operating from an open cockpit. It might be that the testee is told to "enter a 10 degree left bank" and the instructor checks how close he got to the target from the vertical rods.

Early links like this are only capable of ~20 degree banks.

Then again, I was attending a training session in the USAF when a student asked "What does '45 degrees' mean?" Don't think he passed.

Ron Wanttaja

Paul, do I have your permission to use that photo in my presentations?

Our CAP squadron received an old, unloved Link in the mid-70s, and I led a team of fellow cadets to get it operational. Was absolutely fascinated on how it worked, which is basically the genesis of the presentation I'm doing.

Ron Wanttaja
Yes absolutely :)

Ron, there is a Link trainer operational on the FBO side of Sherman Army Airfield in Ft. Leavenworth, KS. The guy that owned the FBO said it was one of only four operational in the US. This is a few years ago, but he was a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I’d be happy to PM his POC if you two could have a meeting of the minds!
upload_2023-4-23_10-20-19.jpeg
I actually got to give it a shot. Not quite like the UH60 sim, but I did alright!
upload_2023-4-23_10-24-45.jpeg

Ron, there is a Link trainer operational on the FBO side of Sherman Army Airfield in Ft. Leavenworth, KS. The guy that owned the FBO said it was one of only four operational in the US. This is a few years ago, but he was a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I’d be happy to PM his POC if you two could have a meeting of the minds!
PM sent!

Ron Wanttaja

Ten thousand of these things built; the only case I know of with one tipping over was when it rolled off a truck with a Navy Captain and ensign onboard. And THAT was in a movie. :)

Extra credit for anyone who can name the movie. I've given a pretty good hint. :)

No one took a shot at this. It's a credit to the participants here, that everyone had enough good taste and good breeding to NOT see the movie this refers to....
mchales navy joins the air force.jpg

At one point in the movie, Ensign Parker (Tim Conway) and Captain Binghamton (Joe Flynn) get into a Link that gets loaded onto a truck....

Ron Wanttaja

Back