Lindberg's Final Landing Spot

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
I will admit to having a bit of an emotional moment last week.

In a very nondescript and remote area on the very southern tip of Maui, lies the grave of Charles Lindberg.

It is in a small graveyard next to an unused church, down a dirt road. It is a lonely but beautiful place right on a volcanic cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

There are only a handful of graves here. Most of the stone markers are so weathered by the windy location they can no longer be read.

The small cemetery is surrounded by mystical banyan trees. The ground is sprinklered throughout with beautiful white and orange plumeria flowers, as if they were just laid out for some special occasion.

There is almost no noise here. Just the wind in the trees and the surf far down the cliff.

There is something very special about this tranquil spot.

Charles Lindberg did many amazing things in his life. Besides flying the first aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean, he also help design the first artificial heart. He had a number of other inventions to his credit as well as writing an amazing book call, "We".

As a pilot, his aviation accomplishment were remarkable and will forever be a part of the history of flight. It was for this reason that I shed a few tears staring down at his memory.

To be fair, Charles Lindberg's accomplishments were great, but he was not a great human being.

Today I chose just to remember what he did for aviation.
1000005200.jpg

1000005199.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea his earthly remains were in Hawaii. Did he retire there?

Did he retire there?

''At the time of his death, he was with his wife and son Land at the Lindberghs' remote home in Kipahulu, Hawaii. He had returned there a little more than a week earlier after a lengthy stay in New York City, where he was receiving treatment for his cancer.''

According to a quick interenet search he was living there. Maybe he knew he was about to die and wanted to die at home.??

Awful person. America first. Suspect in son’s death.

minor nit…he wasn’t the first to fly an aircraft across the Atlantic. By a long shot. But he won the Orteig (sp?) prize for the first nonstop flight from New York to Paris.

But yes, it’s a beautiful spot.

Interestingly, his wife isn’t buried there…iirc, her ashes were spread on the Atlantic.

minor nit…he wasn’t the first to fly an aircraft across the Atlantic. By a long shot. But he won the Orteig (sp?) prize for the first nonstop flight from New York to Paris.

But yes, it’s a beautiful spot.

Interestingly, his wife isn’t buried there…iirc, her ashes were spread on the Atlantic.
True, a mere "transatlantic" flight can be quite a bit shorter than the 3600 miles New York-Paris if you take off at the eastern-most point in North America and crash land on the beach in Ireland. Lindberg flew that astonishing 3600 miles, alone, non-stop, with an orderly take-off and landing (harrowing, but orderly). At the time, he was considering over-flying Paris and proceeding on to Rome! He was awake, had the gas, but decided to follow the flight plan.

True, a mere "transatlantic" flight can be quite a bit shorter than the 3600 miles New York-Paris if you take off at the eastern-most point in North America and crash land on the beach in Ireland. Lindberg flew that astonishing 3600 miles, alone, non-stop, with an orderly take-off and landing (harrowing, but orderly). At the time, he was considering over-flying Paris and proceeding on to Rome! He was awake, had the gas, but decided to follow the flight plan.

I've always been intrigued at how he flew for all time without sleep, found Le Bourget Field in the dark, and still made a great landing in his tail dragger ... :biggrin:

That winding road to Hana can start to feel as grueling as a New York to Paris flight by the time you get done with the entire round trip.

That winding road to Hana can start to feel as grueling as a New York to Paris flight by the time you get done with the entire round trip.
The last part was marked "closed" but a local said we could make it. Soooo freakin sketchy! I was crappin my pants for the 3 miles of single lane, no turnaround, crappy road , with a sheer drop off to the ocean. I'm an off roader whose used to some scary roads but this damn thing was terrifying. Wifey thought it was funny that I was so scared....

I drove the road to Hana in 1991 in an old Chevy Impala before the road was completely paved. We went clockwise and took two days, sleeping in the car and a beach. Spent most of a day splashing around in the Seven Sacred Pools, (Pools of 'Ohe'o), taking pictures with the tourists--at that point I had gone native. When we got back to Olowalu, we feasted on fresh fish and the breadfruit (ulu) and passion fruit (lilikoi) we had collected on the trip.

Been back many times since. Much, much later, rented an Archer from Maui Aviators and tried to fly to around Haleakala. Landed at Hana for a break and got stopped from continuing by weather on the leeward side. Magical place. Absolutely heartbreaking what recently happened to Lahina. I know a guy who lost over 20 of his extended family members.

I drove the road to Hana, in 2017 or 2018. The church and graveyard are in a beautiful, secluded place. I remember reading a book, I think by his daughter, Reeve. He had been on the east coast but flew back to Hawaii to die there.

IMG_2609.jpegIMG_2607.jpeg

OP description is accurate.

I really wish I had rented an aircraft though.

Road is unbelievable.

Haleakala was great and very different!

Above the clouds on a bicycle!

A suspect in his son’s death.

Really?

A suspect in his son’s death.

Really?
I had never heard that either. Color me skeptical.

Then again, the guy did lead a double life fathering a number of children with other women in Europe while married. One of them figured it out and once that cat was out of the bag the other were discovered.

I will admit to having a bit of an emotional moment last week.

In a very nondescript and remote area on the very southern tip of Maui, lies the grave of Charles Lindberg.

It is in a small graveyard next to an unused church, down a dirt road. It is a lonely but beautiful place right on a volcanic cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

There are only a handful of graves here. Most of the stone markers are so weathered by the windy location they can no longer be read.

The small cemetery is surrounded by mystical banyan trees. The ground is sprinklered throughout with beautiful white and orange plumeria flowers, as if they were just laid out for some special occasion.

There is almost no noise here. Just the wind in the trees and the surf far down the cliff.

There is something very special about this tranquil spot.

Charles Lindberg did many amazing things in his life. Besides flying the first aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean, he also help design the first artificial heart. He had a number of other inventions to his credit as well as writing an amazing book call, "We".

As a pilot, his aviation accomplishment were remarkable and will forever be a part of the history of flight. It was for this reason that I shed a few tears staring down at his memory.

To be fair, Charles Lindberg's accomplishments were great, but he was not a great human being.

Today I chose just to remember what he did for aviation.
View attachment 127676

View attachment 127677

I've been there a couple times and had no idea it was there until I had the blue book open checking out the Highway to Hana sites and places to stop. It is an absolutely amazingly beautiful spot. No offense, but your description doesn't do it justice, nor would any attempt on my part. Its just a wonderful spot.

I had never heard that either. Color me skeptical.

Then again, the guy did lead a double life fathering a number of children with other women in Europe while married. One of them figured it out and once that cat was out of the bag the other were discovered.
it’s a theory that makes sense for lots of reasons. almost certainly hauptman was innocent. his family is trying to get access to evidence to dna test.

it’s a theory that makes sense for lots of reasons. almost certainly hauptman was innocent. his family is trying to get access to evidence to dna test.
I dunno...years back one of the scientists for the the NJ Police Forensics gave a seminar for the Princeton chemistry department..mostly on analytical capabilities of the team, but with a historical overview of cases the team had been involved with over the years. One of the most damning bits of evidence against Hauptmann was that they were able to match the wood grain, board-by-board, of the wood in the crude ladder found at the Lindberg residence with boards cut from the attic of Hauptmann's house.

Circumstantial in that it doesn't prove Hauptmann made the ladder or was at the Lindberg residence, but there was no plausible explanation for how or why a third party would have cut the boards from Hauptmann's home in order to make the ladder.

I believe that is the main item the family wants to test with current science. he was a carpenter who never would have constructed such a shoddy ladder. they don’t believe the claims of the state police lab.

Hauptman was a small time crook who used the kidnapping as an opportunity to get a ransom from lindbergh. they were innundated by people claiming to have the child. doesnt mean he kidnapped or killed the child.

One of the most damning bits of evidence against Hauptmann was that they were able to match the wood grain, board-by-board, of the wood in the crude ladder found at the Lindberg residence with boards cut from the attic of Hauptmann's house.
According to wikipedia, where I just spent an embarrassing amount of time after reading this thread, the family contends that the wood was planted. This is entirely possible. One of the most convincing bits of evidence, as noted by at least one juror, was a telephone number written on the wall of Hauptmann's home. A reporter later admitted that he wrote the number there.

I did that drive in the 90's. I wasn't supposed to take the rental car on the unpaved roads but I did anyway.

I chickened out and took the bus.

I did that drive in the 90's. I wasn't supposed to take the rental car on the unpaved roads but I did anyway.
I did it in '90 and then again in '05. I didn't realize until I returned that the rental contract was void. It was intense at places. I remember coming up to what looked to be a washed out road. A local pulled up and drove across, so I followed. It was a ford. I didn't really enjoy the 1st time as it was getting dark, gas running low, death seemingly around the next corner. I very much enjoyed the 2nd trip. I wish I knew about Lindbergh's grave.

Edit: I was referring to driving around the south end...not turning around at Hana. Was pretty scary stuff in '90.

Last edited:
Lindbergh chose to be buried in Maui because of his affection for the island's splendor, and it was his wish to spend his final days and be laid to rest in Hana...

The road to Hana has been much improved and straightened out in many places compared to the mid-80s - the first time I drove it. The Maui Highlands and the area around Hana have become havens for many people with "beep" you money. Geroge Harrison had a place there. My wife was in Hana, with some of her friends in 1992. They were in a food court-like place, eating and conversing with a guy with a British accent about the area. As she put it, he looked vaguely familiar. It wasn't until later that she realized it was George Harrison...

@Lndwarrior did you hit Big Mama's Fish House?

The best trip is to go past Hana and around the south end...

IIRC Actor Jim Neighbors is buried there also.

A “ Aviation Enthusiast’s Guide to Destinations “ would be great.

Hate to find out what you missed.

IMHO If you really want to see “Hawaii” skip Oahu and go to Maui.

I've been there a couple times and had no idea it was there until I had the blue book open checking out the Highway to Hana sites and places to stop. It is an absolutely amazingly beautiful spot. No offense, but your description doesn't do it justice, nor would any attempt on my part. Its just a wonderful spot.

Lindbergh chose to be buried in Maui because of his affection for the island's splendor, and it was his wish to spend his final days and be laid to rest in Hana...

The road to Hana has been much improved and straightened out in many places compared to the mid-80s - the first time I drove it. The Maui Highlands and the area around Hana have become havens for many people with "beep" you money. Geroge Harrison had a place there. My wife was in Hana, with some of her friends in 1992. They were in a food court-like place, eating and conversing with a guy with a British accent about the area. As she put it, he looked vaguely familiar. It wasn't until later that she realized it was George Harrison...

@Lndwarrior did you hit Big Mama's Fish House?

The best trip is to go past Hana and around the south end...
Mama's fish house is booked solid a month in advance.

The trip around the south end was terrifying. The road is one lane (technically closed) and in terrible condition. A local told us we could "get thru" even though it was closed. Should not have listened to her.

I've always been intrigued at how he flew for all time without sleep, found Le Bourget Field in the dark, and still made a great landing in his tail dragger ... :biggrin:
This was in the early days of pep pills.....Meth. Apparently he barely slept the night before and was hallucinating after hour 22.

Random note of pharmacology since it's roughly the same time period. Babe Ruth was one of the first to receive chemotherapy and radiation therapy and he probably didnt know it. Nobody told him he had cancer.

Skip them both and go to the Big Island

It has better..... well everything... and not as crowded

This was in the early days of pep pills.....Meth. Apparently he barely slept the night before and was hallucinating after hour 22.

"We" was a pretty exciting read for me as a young lad with ambitions of flight. There are things in that book that were very scary. It seems he did get a little sleep over the Atlantic ... ;)

Jims partner was a pilot so he flew from honolulu to hana direct and avoided the road

Mama's fish house is booked solid a month in advance.

The trip around the south end was terrifying. The road is one lane (technically closed) and in terrible condition. A local told us we could "get thru" even though it was closed. Should not have listened to her.
We’ve been around the south side three times, it wasn’t too bad. Now we did the north end once, I thought it was 100 times worse. That was 2005 though but scary has hell

I've been to Hana twice and turned around and went back shortly past the town. The first time, I was alone in a rented car and had no idea Lindbergh was buried there. The second time, a tour bus driver took my wife and me, as well as other people, on a much better tour and stopped at Lindbergh's grave.

The thing I remember the most is my solo return trip. I was herding the car around the corners as fast as I could, and locals, including cops, were passing me like I was standing sill!

People are- well, people. Lindberg was bold, capable, and his feat was groundbreaking

He also had horrible views about the US and its role in the world, and we see echos of that “America first” embrace of authoritarianism today.

I’ve been to his gravesite twice. It requires dedication to get there in a rental

Literally, every Hawaiian island has almost whatever one might want out of an HI vacation. Urban Oahu has plenty of empty, wild beaches, hikes with solitude. Its my natal isle. If you’re looking for urban chic, Molokai may not be the best choice ;)
Personally, I love the big island, for its variety. My son and I built a snowman, saw flowing lava (I saw the southern cross, didn’t have the heart to wake him in the idle of the night to see it) and snorkelled in warm water in the same day. Hard to do that in most places.

Attachments

• IMG_7446.jpeg
    IMG_7446.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Back