Limited ROM in Left Knee / Options / Considerations / Private Pilot Candidate

• Thread starter Richard Jackson
  • Start date
R

Richard Jackson

Good Afternoon,

To the point- I have extremely restricted range of motion, at the left knee. I don't know the exact ROM, in degrees. From straight, my knee only bends probably 30-40 degrees. Is this a dealbreaker?

I was just getting started pursuing a career as a commercial pilot, following my separation from the Army in 2007, when I was in a bad vehicle accident. I broke both legs in multiple spots, and the result is that I have one leg with this very limited articulation capacity. I guess I am just wondering what options I have, or if this would even be an issue. I don't know any Pilots, anymore; so I thought that I might reach out here, and see what information I might get.

Thanks in advance,
twobeagler@gmail.com

Good Afternoon,

To the point- I have extremely restricted range of motion, at the left knee. I don't know the exact ROM, in degrees. From straight, my knee only bends probably 30-40 degrees. Is this a dealbreaker?

I was just getting started pursuing a career as a commercial pilot, following my separation from the Army in 2007, when I was in a bad vehicle accident. I broke both legs in multiple spots, and the result is that I have one leg with this very limited articulation capacity. I guess I am just wondering what options I have, or if this would even be an issue. I don't know any Pilots, anymore; so I thought that I might reach out here, and see what information I might get.

Thanks in advance,
twobeagler@gmail.com
Are you able to press with your foot? If you can manipulate the controls, including rudder pedals, then you should be limited only by what you can safely get into and out of. What type of commercial pilot are you hoping to be? I knew a flight instructor who had no legs, but he was limited in what he could fly because he had to have all hand controls.

Your AME should be able to answer that, but it's also the kind of condition that could qualify for a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) if you are deferred. It's not a dealbreaker.

Find an instructor and go fly for a couple flights. Ultimately the AME will decide whether to issue or defer, but knowing the level of ability and articulating it should be useful. For you and the AME.

Richard

You’re going to need a video of you preflighting (climb the ladder, or duck under to sump the tanks), entering the aircraft, getting in and getting out and flying a circuit- takeoff and landing, and postflight.

Burn to DVD. MAIL TRACKABLY to OKC.

AME must (for that degree of limitation) to defer, medical officer views and issues.

B

Good evening,

Thanks for the replies. Lindberg, I am no longer pursuing a career in aviation. I sort of lost that dream when I was injured. I am now at a life-stage wherein I can consider the pursuit of flying as a hobby, and means of conveyance to start seeing places that aren't as accessible by land...within certain time constraints. Yes, I can press with my foot. I can drive vehicles with manual transmissions, for instance. I just don't do it as gracefully as most others.

I can climb ladders and duck, again...with less ease and grace than others.

I am a bit worried about what sort of planes I could pilot. This may be unfounded, but it's the sort of thing that does cross my mind. I really have to have something where my legs would be pretty strait, like in a car or pickup. On long drives in my pickup, for instance, my foot barely touching the floor (my leg almost hanging) causes discomfort and knee pain.

I like the idea of linking up with an instructor. It'll just take a bit of research and driving. I live in a pretty rural area.

Thanks again for all the input,
Richard

I am no longer pursuing a career in aviation. I sort of lost that dream when I was injured. I am now at a life-stage wherein I can consider the pursuit of flying as a hobby, and means of conveyance to start seeing places that aren't as accessible by land...within certain time constraints.

Did you get a medical back in 2007? If so, and if it was never revoked, you could be eligible for Basic Med and not need to deal with the FAA medical folks at all.

I am a bit worried about what sort of planes I could pilot.

You need to sit in a few planes to learn what would be most comfortable. You could get an Ercoupe with no pedals, but the footwell is a bit cramped and the planes aren’t the best for XC travel (though it’s done!).

I have reduced mobility in my legs, due to old age. Low wing planes are very difficult to get back out of. High wing is basically no problem in the more common varieties. Pre flight is generally easier too, with the exception of fuel tank visual check for full. I used a short folding ladder for that.

Richard

You’re going to need a video of you preflighting (climb the ladder, or duck under to sump the tanks), entering the aircraft, getting in and getting out and flying a circuit- takeoff and landing, and postflight.

Burn to DVD. MAIL TRACKABLY to OKC.

AME must (for that degree of limitation) to defer, medical officer views and issues.

B
Follow up question for this. For those that have VA ratings for knee pain and possibly knee and back pain with range of motion to warrant Va disability, what is the range of motion that will not get deferred?

Back