Lillian Cox - Dead at 111 Years, Six Months

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Some of you will recall me having told you (either in person, or here) about my wife's grandmother, Lillian T. Cox. We often flew to Tallahassee to visit her, and she lived alone in her home of 70+ years until she decided, at 102, that she was not comfortable driving at night.

At night.

She finally moved from Tallahassee to Texas to be nearer all of us; that was 7 or so years ago. She finally went home last Friday, to be with her husband, Tom Cox, and daughter (and my mother in law), Carolyn Cox Partch.

Going to miss her.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/08/13/indomitable-lillian-cox-dies-111/976481002/

(Also, cause to remember our old friend, "Marathon Mike" Schneider, a great PoAer from Tallahassee, with whom I had the pleasure of flying in his most excellent Maule; I met Mike at the second Gaston's Fly-In, flew with him while I was visiting Grandmother in Tallahassee, and we did the very first "Go Fly America" airport claim at the Gadsden County Airport, Quincy, FL.

Mike came to Grandmother's 100th birthday party in Tallahassee but, unfortunately, they must have needed a great coach in heaven, because he was called home at a very young age).

---

People come, and they go. Seems like, lately, they go.

My condolences to you and family.

What an experience, to live through the dawning of fantastic technological advances, worldwide financial upheaval, the tribulations of world war, and discoveries in medicine and science that have enhanced so many lives.

She lived an incredible life. Peace to her.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for remembering Mike here. I never met him, but remember him well. He seemed like a great guy.

WoW what a run,, Lived a lot, saw a lot, made a lot of friends along the way.
I'm certain we will all get our just reward, So will She.
But we still morn the loss.

Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your wife’s grandmother. She lived a very full life and was blessed with longevity. May she now enjoy her time reuniting with family that have gone before her.

Condolences, even if she was a mutant.

Yes, I said it. Centenarians have a very rare version of a nutritional master control gene. It isn't that they live long, they age differently from the rest of us. I met one this weekend, she had been in an internment camp during WWII. She looked about 60.

Damn mutants.

Last edited:
Wow that is a long life. Think of the things she experienced in her life. She saw transportation go from horses to cars to flying and then putting a man on the moon. WOW
I doubt any of us will see technology change as she had.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you took the time to talk to her about "the old days".
My grandmother lived to be 101, my mother-in-law is 101, her sister is 99, and still goes dancing.
Reaching 100 is not as rare as it used to be.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you took the time to talk to her about "the old days".
My grandmother lived to be 101, my mother-in-law is 101, her sister is 99, and still goes dancing.
Reaching 100 is not as rare as it used to be.
Actually, yeah it is. Healthy living just isn't enough, most people who make it into their eighties don't make it back out. Gotta have the right genes. Sounds like you have a good start, don't cock it up.

Doesn't work for the male side of my family.
Very few of the guys make it out of their 60s, dead from heart disease or cancer. One uncle made it to 83, and my dad made it to 80. He had cancer the last 7 years of his life.
I don't have any heart problems, so ................

My moms side of the family seem to make it to their 80s, and higher. A few 100 year olds in every generation for at least the last 3 generations. My mom is 86 and still going strong, although she has stopped driving at night.

My dads side of the family, the men seem to die off in their 60s, but I was spared from the heart disease. One of my uncles lived to 83. He was the one that smoked and drank all his life. He died from blood clots about 6 months after having a car accident. Except for that one blockage I had, my cardiologist says my arteries look like what he sees in 20 year olds.

If I die before 76 my wife will kill me....

I wish that my grandmother would've have spoken about the old days before she died (been 11.5 years now, she was born in 1912). She never talked about the past to me. Her childhood was very unhappy (parents died when she was 5, raised by a supposedly cruel aunt and uncle). Then throw in being a young adult in the depression, seeing WW2, and my grandfather, the only man who ever made her happy, died when I was 2. So she just never wanted to talk about much, nor was she very happy.

It's a shame, I would've loved to hear the stories. Best I get is my mom recounting what she remembers.

I wish that my grandmother would've have spoken about the old days before she died (been 11.5 years now, she was born in 1912). She never talked about the past to me. Her childhood was very unhappy (parents died when she was 5, raised by a supposedly cruel aunt and uncle). Then throw in being a young adult in the depression, seeing WW2, and my grandfather, the only man who ever made her happy, died when I was 2. So she just never wanted to talk about much, nor was she very happy.

It's a shame, I would've loved to hear the stories. Best I get is my mom recounting what she remembers.
I am curious about what my mother would have had to say about the past, but she raised me to believe that it is not polite to talk about yourself. That apparently included her daughter. From other people and the many photos I have, I think she had a happy youth. Relatives say she was attractive and popular.

I am curious about what my mother would have had to say about the past, but she raised me to believe that it is not polite to talk about yourself. That apparently included her daughter. From other people and the many photos I have, I think she had a happy youth. Relatives say she was attractive and popular.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought much about. My grandmother was older than your mom, but I don't think by all that much. She was definitely raised not to complain, and she really didn't complain much at all. She did tell my mom stories at some point in her life, but of course some of those might have been stories told as a child, or answers to the sorts of questions that children ask. Of course your mom was also raised with different cultural norms than my grandmother.

Mostly I think my grandmother was just unhappy. After 50 years with my grandfather, having to live another almost 20 before being reunited with him was unbearable for her. I always said that the only reason she didn't die of a broken heart was that her heart was German, and therefore too stubborn to do anything besides what it was supposed to - keep beating. She was very stubborn. I think it was easier for her to not talk about her past than to be reminded of the happy times. Up until her brain went south and she stopped being coherent, she would tell my mom that she was still having dreams about my grandfather. I suspect she did right up until she died, but the last few years her brain wasn't working well enough to converse at all.

I remember that once I convinced my mom to take me to my grandfather's grave when I was around 10 or so. Other than when my grandmother died, that was the only time we went. I was instructed to specifically not tell grandmother that we went, because it would upset her.

It was a sad 20 years. I think that if the roles had been reversed and my grandmother had died first leaving my grandfather behind, that he probably would have handled it a lot better. Of course I can only guess this based on stories, but I suspect I'm right.

I talked with my grandmother a lot.
It was amazing in her 90+ years of life what she saw. Granny, as we called her, went from horse and out houses to automobiles and a man on the moon before she died. I doubt I will ever she the technology gains she witnessed in her life.

Back