Like to talk to someone who lives in Alaska.

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
Would like to talk to someone about Alaska culture, food. If possible could you message me?

Thanks,
Bob

Rustic. Expensive.

(I don’t live in Alaska but those are the answers from what I’ve read. LOL.)

Which part? Indigenous I presume? Northerners diet on the coast can vary widely then that found in the interior, along the Aleutian Islands, and down the southeast panhandle. Of course if you are curious about the city menu's...a popular choice is mcdonalds and subway.

Regional differences are disappearing as most rural Alaskans shop at Walmart, Sam's, and Costco. Amazon must be gaining traction, too. Alaskans love Amazon Prime for the free shipping.

My freezers are full of moose, caribou, fish, and veg from our gardens. But tonight I'm having a filet mignon with fresh green beans from the grocery store. Fresh milk and veggies are easy to get in the cities but not in the bush. That's the big difference determined by where we live. Rural food is like city food was 50 years ago. But they have better internet. Go figure?

Last edited:
My daughter is doing a presentation on Alaska and we were looking for food that's typical in Alaska but not in the lower 48. We were thinking of ordering some Salmon Berry Jam or Birchas Jelly from Amazon pricey for shipping of course. Thanks for any input

Dried seal meat stored in a can of seal oil. If that won't make you retch nothing will. My native Alaskan friends say that's why Pilot Bread is so popular, to keep them from burping the fat back up. Tough people, the old ones. Younger ones eat the same stuff the rest of us do.

Sailor Boy Pilot Bread is a staple in the bush. That's one for your daughter to look up.

We ate halibut when we were there, it's only 10. per pound when bought. and 1400 if you catch it.

Back