Like, "OHMYGOD!" cool...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Did anybody see what Garmin released for the G1000? It's in the middle of your new AOPA Pilot. I wonder if it will trickle down to aircraft other than the Columbia?!

If you're flying IFR with the G1000, this would be on my "top 5" list:

Hmm...cool...but how many pilots will end up using "Hunt and peck" on the keyboard and ending up spending way too much time eyes inside?

*Insert Marge Simpson type worried grumble here*

RotaryWingBob said:
That, is seriously cool. Now all they need is autoland ;)
Don't forget lavs, emergency exits and 5 wide seating. When will Garmin issue the uniform?

Greebo said:
Hmm...cool...but how many pilots will end up using "Hunt and peck" on the keyboard and ending up spending way too much time eyes inside?

*Insert Marge Simpson type worried grumble here*

Voice recognition would be cool, through my headset/mic and a dedicated PTP (Push to Program) button on my yoke.

ME: "Garmin! Flight Plan Modify. Direct Kilo Foxtrot Tango Whiskey. Over."

Garmin: "Confirm Flight Plan Modify, requesting direct Fort Worth Meacham, heading 120, distance 340 nautical miles. ETA present speed 2 hours 22 minutes."

ME: "Affirmative."

Garmin: "Change completed. Now navigating direct Kilo Foxtrot Tango Whiskey."

Done. Eyes outside the whole time.

Someday, we'll have this. Maybe I should patent the "idea".

Very cool... Someone will be feeling Sierra Hotel with that new gadget!

That's part of the reason I was hoping to find the right tablet PC for IFR flights!

wonder if it has instant messenger capabillities. My daughter would never leave the plane.

Troy Whistman said:
Voice recognition would be cool, through my headset/mic and a dedicated PTP (Push to Program) button on my yoke.

ME: "Garmin! Flight Plan Modify. Direct Kilo Foxtrot Tango Whiskey. Over."

Garmin: "Confirm Flight Plan Modify, requesting direct Fort Worth Meacham, heading 120, distance 340 nautical miles. ETA present speed 2 hours 22 minutes."

ME: "Affirmative."

Garmin: "Change completed. Now navigating direct Kilo Foxtrot Tango Whiskey."

Done. Eyes outside the whole time.

Someday, we'll have this. Maybe I should patent the "idea".
Wait until you get the bill for the required annual Level 5 Full System Diagnostic Check.

Richard said:
Wait until you get the bill for the required annual Level 5 Full System Diagnostic Check.
Or it gets a burst of static electricity and decides to converse in Japanese instead. ;)

Brian Austin said:
Or it gets a burst of static electricity and decides to converse in Japanese instead. ;)
Or it mimics the HAL 9000 in the movie 2001, a space odyssey.

"Dave, what are you doing? Well, what I mean is why do you want to turn left to intercept the loc? Actually, a right climbing turn to a wingover would be more prudent. You really shouldn't be turning left, Dave. No, I don't know where your copilot is...he said he was going to check something but he never came back."

Richard said:
Or it mimics the HAL 9000 in the movie 2001, a space odyssey.

"Dave, what are you doing? Well, what I mean is why do you want to turn left to intercept the loc? Actually, a right climbing turn to a wingover would be more prudent. You really shouldn't be turning left, Dave. No, I don't know where your copilot is...he said he was going to check something but he never came back."

Or, more simply, replies, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that." :D

I just bought a car that has voice recognition. You can set the radio, temps, etc with voice commands. Half the time you tell it something it switches languages. Then, you have to be stopped and shifted to park to manually switch it back. Well, if you know Italian you can tell it to speak English again :).

Don't think I want that on my airplane.

Alan said:
I just bought a car that has voice recognition. You can set the radio, temps, etc with voice commands. Half the time you tell it something it switches languages. Then, you have to be stopped and shifted to park to manually switch it back. Well, if you know Italian you can tell it to speak English again :).

:eek: Let me see if I got this right: Your car understands what you say and talks to you? Then it gets annoyed with you if you don't play by it's rules? I don't know about anyone else but IMNSHO that is completely dehumanizing.

And to think that I considered the little beepy thing under the panel that beeps to reminds you that your seatbelt isn't fastened or the keys are in the ignition was completely offensive. (That annoying little box was the first thing to go the instant I got the vehicle home)

Alan said:

Nope. I'd rip that out too.

Domo Arigato Mr Roboto

Alan said:

Like I've always thought, the steering wheel has outlived it's usefulness. Just rip the thing out. OTOH, I cannot begin to imagine what would happen in these cars when the driver is one the cell phone.

Richard said:
Like I've always thought, the steering wheel has outlived it's usefulness. Just rip the thing out. OTOH, I cannot begin to imagine what would happen in these cars when the driver is one the cell phone.

Nah. Everything the voice recognition does can be done to old fashioned way. Push a button or turn a dial. It really was a bad idea.

Alan said:
Nah. Everything the voice recognition does can be done to old fashioned way. Push a button or turn a dial. It really was a bad idea.

The trouble with all current voice recognition systems is that they can't quite recognize and properly discriminate all the voices that one individual has, much less all the background clutter.

I've had a lot of success with a home-grown moving map application that runs on a laptop. Having a keyboard is nice - but I need one of those tablet PC's to make it more convenient. But running on a simple computer makes voice recognition type of functionality pretty easy to implement. Someday I'll beef the app up, add weather from the XM feed, and put it on the market. If only it were someday today...

Back