Lightweight NOTAM/TFR apps

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I am still running an older 16gb iphone.
Most of my flights are 1 hour flights in the local area (25 miles)

Anybody have any recommendation for lightweight (low memory usage) apps that quickly look up local TFR's and Notams. I don't want to load a large app like Foreflight or Wingx just to check TFR's and Notams, I have an Ipad to do that, but I seldom use the Ipad for local flights.

It would be nice to just click on an App on my phone for a last check of TFR's and NOTAMs before I start up.

Brian

Can you just check before you leave home? The next option may be the FBO wi-fi.

If I check at home, then if I'm in the air 1.5 hours later, I consider that 'briefed'. It's not like we have to check every 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Can you just check before you leave home? The next option may be the FBO wi-fi.

If I check at home, then if I'm in the air 1.5 hours later, I consider that 'briefed'. It's not like we have to check ever 15 minutes.
This. I usually just call Flight Service on the drive to the airport.

Try typing in "aviation weather" on the App Store and download the NOAA aviation weather app, it's only 6mb.

I am still running an older 16gb iphone.
Most of my flights are 1 hour flights in the local area (25 miles)

Anybody have any recommendation for lightweight (low memory usage) apps that quickly look up local TFR's and Notams. I don't want to load a large app like Foreflight or Wingx just to check TFR's and Notams, I have an Ipad to do that, but I seldom use the Ipad for local flights.

It would be nice to just click on an App on my phone for a last check of TFR's and NOTAMs before I start up.

Brian
i like and use Aero Weather. two versions, free and pro. either will give you metars and taf's.

I am already using aero weather it works well for the metals and taf's, would like something as simple for TFR's and NOTAMs.

Why not save the appropriate FAA websites on your home screen and open them like an app, no memory usage.

i'm fairly sure that if you file a flight plan using flight service and activate tgat plan you can get pop-up TFR notifications. your problem is going to be receiving them at altitude. my experience in receiving texts, e-mail....anything requiring internet connectivity at or above 3000-ft agl has not been good. your best best is to check with flight service upon arrival at the airport. if you're really concerned then check with flight service at the beginning of each leg.

Just surprised there doesn't seem to be a simple app for this, would seem very useful in a lot of situations where a lot of local flights are done.
Instructors. Change planes often, usually only 1 hour flights,just double checking what student should have already done.
Skydive pilots,
Crop Dusters
Glider towing
Just going out to shoot a couple touch and goes.

I don't need or even want to carry a lot of stuff for this, next phone will have more memory so I will probably keep foreflight or wingx loaded.
Just seems like the quick and easier it is, the more likely it is to check frequently.

Brian

Going to look into creating a URL for a web site the my local information.

Try typing in "aviation weather" on the App Store and download the NOAA aviation weather app, it's only 6mb.

I hope you take an Uber to the airport.

Getting a briefing while driving isn't conducive to safe driving or briefing comprehension. The brain can only do one thing effectively at a time.
:dunno:
I beg to differ with you buddy, I must be an exception. I suppose you've never heard of multitasking? It's a skill that's used during every flight.

If you have also have an Android device/phone, I can recommend lots of free and paid apps that'll do exactly what you want.

I use Takeoff - Aviation Weather on my Android tablet and it is also available for iOS. I highly recommend it.

If you have also have an Android device/phone, I can recommend lots of free and paid apps that'll do exactly what you want.

I use Takeoff - Aviation Weather on my Android tablet and it is also available for iOS. I highly recommend it.

Checking it out, I like that Notams take only two clicks. TFR's take two clicks and zooming into the FAA unofficial web site.

would be really nice If the added one more icon on the near by airport windows that would go yellow or red, if a Notam had been issued in the past 7 days or 24hrs, and/or a there was a TFR with 25 or 50 miles. That way most flights could be checked just by opening the app.

As a CFI I still find quite a few pilots still don't do a TFR/Notam check before departing on local flights. The easier we can make it for them the more likely they are to check. Especially older pilots that often have to adjust their glasses to navigate on a phone they barely know how to use.

thanks for the recommendation, would love to see a better one.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Yeah, I love the "FAA Unofficial" site. They are the keepers of the information, but they don't trust themselves to properly disseminate it . . . . :confused2:

Back