Lightspeed Zulu PIREP

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We purchased a pair of Lightspeed Zulu headsets at OSH last week, and have now flown with them three times. What an incredible piece of audio equipment!

We purchased the headsets for two reasons: (a) Friends with a noisy Piper Aztec found that they worked wonders in that high-noise environment, and (b) because Alan Schrader, president of Lightspeed, assured me that they would work in our Ercoupe -- the loudest airplane we've ever flown. (Our Lightspeed Twenty 3Gs worked perfectly in our Pathfinder -- and not at all in the Ercoupe. In fact, the popping and hissing they emitted actually *added* to the noise level.)

Our first flight was in our Pathfinder, a fairly loud, 6-cylinder variant of the Cherokee line, on our flight home from OSH, and the results were stunning. We had let our son use one of the two Zulus on his flight home from OSH in the Ercoupe, so Mary and I were able to switch back and forth between the 3Gs and the Zulus in flight.

With several hundred hours flight experience, we had always regarded the Twenty 3Gs to be a superior ANR headset, so the qualitative improvement was quite surprising -- but there was no questioning that it was like night and day. The Zulu was quieter and more comfortable by far than the already quiet and comfortable 3G.

The Zulu's bluetooth connection to my cell phone was seamless and easy, offering great sound quality without requiring the 3G's wired connection. When connected to our XM radio or CD player, the stereo enhancement called "Front/Center" makes the music sound like it's coming from right between your ears -- an impressive sound effect -- and the sound is every bit as good as my home stereos.

Our second Zulu experience was my son's flight home from OSH in the Ercoupe. He reported that there was absolutely no extraneous sound -- just blissful silence, even under that parabolic reflector of a canopy.

Today Mary and I were able to test them out in the Ercoupe and wow, what a difference. We've loved the Ercoupe since we got it in June -- it's the most fun airplane we've ever flown -- but with the cockpit open (in August, that's the only way to fly!) it is absolutely the loudest plane I've ever flown, and that noise level completely overwhelmed lesser ANR headsets. Flights of over an hour inevitably induced a headache -- not the best way to fly.

Not so with the Zulu. From the moment I put them on, and slipped into that blissful silence, I knew that the experience was going to be different. Going to full power (and hearing the roar of that "big" 85 horsepower Continental -- lots of noise, not a lot of oomph) the Zulus didn't so much as crackle, and once airborne we slid the canopy sides down and absorbed the full racket of the 100 mph wind rattling through the cockpit -- without so much as a burp from the Zulus. All we heard was a faint rumble of the engine, and the crystal clear radio and intercom.

The only potential problem we've run into is that when Mary turns her head it's possible to break the ear seal. This, of course, raises havoc with the ANR circuitry, and it seems to be related to her small-ish head size. (We were warned about this by another small-ish woman airline pilot who had tried the Zulus, so this wasn't entirely unexpected.) This only happens in the Ercoupe -- not in the Pathfinder -- and we're still tinkering with trying to tighten up the fit a bit for her -- but compared to the Twenty 3Gs (that didn't work at all in the Ercoupe) this is a minor problem, indeed.

We've owned seven previous Lightspeeds, and have tried all other brands, including Bose. All in all, I am confident when I say that the Zulu is the best headset on the market today. I highly recommend it.

THANK YOU for such a great write up! I've been using a pair of LS QFRSoloC's for a little over five years now. They've been a great headset, never had anything break despite flying 1100 hrs in the last year, but they're getting a little old and I think something active would be good for the turbo-prop environment. I've been looking at the Zulus for quite a while now (even though there is no trade-up program from the Solo C), and I think this might be enough to push me over the edge on them!

Thanks for the write-up, Jay!

Although if anyone wants to trade in their current Lightspeeds, please let me know first! I'm looking to buy another set or two, probably two. Especially if they're 30-3Gs that I can buy significantly cheaper than what they'd cost new. I'm not ready to spend $800 on a headset yet.

I registered for the trade-up, but they are catching up after finding a manufacturing defect. My only potential concern is the quality of the build. It seems like there's always something breaking on one of my current three LS headsets. Sure, support has been great, but I'm a little concerned about longevity and reliability. Do the Zulus appear a little more solid in the hardware compared to the other models?

I registered for the trade-up, but they are catching up after finding a manufacturing defect. My only potential concern is the quality of the build. It seems like there's always something breaking on one of my current three LS headsets. Sure, support has been great, but I'm a little concerned about longevity and reliability. Do the Zulus appear a little more solid in the hardware compared to the other models?

Yes. My experience with Lightspeed is extensive, and similar to yours. The older model 15s broke when you looked at them. The next generation 15 and 20XLs only broke when you used them. The last generation 3Gs were finally robust enough to survive in the cockpit, but I was always paranoid with them, especially in cold weather. Plastic just doesn't like sub-zero weather, and we broke a couple of earpiece stirrups by splaying them out (to put them on) in the cold.

As you noted, Lightspeed support is the best in the market, but with those early models I used them far too often. In fact, I had given up on Lightspeed entirely a few years ago, when I met Alan (the prez of Lightspeed) at Oshkosh one year. He was working surreptiously at one of his vendor's booths (Pacific Coast Avionics, as I recall) that year, and I had NO idea who he was -- I just poured my guts out to the guy about how much I loved Lightspeeds, but hated the fact that they always broke, and I wanted to see his best headsets but NO MORE Lightspeeds.

After I ran out of breath, he thanked me for telling him all that -- and then introduced himself to me as the head of Lightspeed! I had just spent ten minutes ripping his company a new you-know-what, so I wanted to hide under a rock! Alan was gracious, however, and admitted that they *had* experienced many quality control problems in the past, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse: He would GIVE me a new pair of Twenty 3Gs as proof that they had turned the corner on their production problems.

Hard to turn THAT down, eh? I accepted, loved the product (as I always did) -- and (most importantly) found that they were built with quality and durability. I then bought three more pair of 3Gs, and gave more as gifts.

Anyway -- to answer your question -- the Zulu is made out of METAL. Lots of light-weight aluminum and (I believe) magnesium that has the same feel of quality as the Bose headsets. I have no long-term experience with them, of course, but they FEEL way more substantial and precisely built than the older models.

Yes. My experience with Lightspeed is extensive, and similar to yours. The older model 15s broke when you looked at them. The next generation 15 and 20XLs only broke when you used them. The last generation 3Gs were finally robust enough to survive in the cockpit, but I was always paranoid with them, especially in cold weather. Plastic just doesn't like sub-zero weather, and we broke a couple of earpiece stirrups by splaying them out (to put them on) in the cold.

As you noted, Lightspeed support is the best in the market, but with those early models I used them far too often.

Jay good write up and similar to my own experiences with Lightspeed and the Zulus.

Here is a link to my earlier write up on the Zulu, http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17454&highlight=zulu

I still have not completely converted over to them and continue to use my DC 10-13XLs. I find the fit on the DCs a little more comfortable, but I really enjoy the bluetooth in the Zulus

Jay good write up and similar to my own experiences with Lightspeed and the Zulus.

Here is a link to my earlier write up on the Zulu, http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17454&highlight=zulu

I still have not completely converted over to them and continue to use my DC 10-13XLs. I find the fit on the DCs a little more comfortable, but I really enjoy the bluetooth in the Zulus

I read your comments in an earlier thread, Scott (about your DCs being more comfortable), and I'm puzzled as to what is hitting you wrongly with the Lightspeeds? Is it the ear-pads? (Which *are* a bit small, IMHO) Or something else?

I've never found any reason to complain about DCs, but I've also never found them to be *more* comfortable than any other headset...

I read your comments in an earlier thread, Scott (about your DCs being more comfortable), and I'm puzzled as to what is hitting you wrongly with the Lightspeeds? Is it the ear-pads? (Which *are* a bit small, IMHO) Or something else?

I've never found any reason to complain about DCs, but I've also never found them to be *more* comfortable than any other headset...
My ear rubs on the inside cover. I think their is less volume in the ear cup than in my DC.

I have used the QFR, 20XL and 3G's from LS and I never liked the fit of those. Ther eis also the issue of lousy quality too! When the Zulus came out I tried them and the Bose. I thought the fit on the Bose was really poor. It felt like a clothes pin was on my head. I had already been using my DC for several years and was very happy with them and their fit. I never understood the David Clamp comments. The DCs I had were of the newer design, with ANR or ENC as they call it, and had the bigger headpad. I liked their size weight and fit. The big reason for me to obtain the Zulu was the bluetooth. I only noticed the ear rub after a few long flights as well as the head turn ear cup seal break like you spouse noticed.

All of this is why everyone should try selecting the best fit for their head and headset and not just who has the cool headset dejour!

Within the past few years I've had to replace the yokes and headband (cracking of the yokes and the screws pulled out of the headbands) on two of my 30-3G, and then the yokes broke on my 25XL. Yes, they were all easy to repair, but on the other hand my Dave Clarks never broke, and were built like a Russian tank (and just about as uncomfortable). So, I did order another Zulu, but wonder if for an extra $150 it might have been better to go with Bose.

Within the past few years I've had to replace the yokes and headband (cracking of the yokes and the screws pulled out of the headbands) on two of my 30-3G, and then the yokes broke on my 25XL. Yes, they were all easy to repair, but on the other hand my Dave Clarks never broke, and were built like a Russian tank (and just about as uncomfortable). So, I did order another Zulu, but wonder if for an extra $150 it might have been better to go with Bose.
Those cracks have been a failure point for a long time. It is a combination of design and molding problems. The Zulus do seem more bullet proof since they went to a better, metal, design for holding the earcups. Time will tell if they have any mechanical problems.

Although if anyone wants to trade in their current Lightspeeds, please let me know first! I'm looking to buy another set or two, probably two. Especially if they're 30-3Gs that I can buy significantly cheaper than what they'd cost new. I'm not ready to spend $800 on a headset yet.

Trade in value is $500. Not much less than new price of $550.

Trade in value is $500. Not much less than new price of $550.

$500 for a trade-in on a 30-3G? Well, if it's that high then nevermind.

The next generation 15 and 20XLs only broke when you used them. .

Jay I have a very different experience I purchased my XL20s about 6 years ago when I began my training they have been awesome and have not had any mechanical malfunctions or breakage. They did have an electrical failure in the cord which was repalced by Lightspeed. ( We all agree they have awesome customer service) I sent them back to get the cell interface and convert them to 20XLcs. I'd love to get the Zulus but $$$ is in short supply. I think their main competition is of course Bose and the DC X-11

Jay I have a very different experience I purchased my XL20s about 6 years ago when I began my training they have been awesome and have not had any mechanical malfunctions or breakage. They did have an electrical failure in the cord which was repalced by Lightspeed. ( We all agree they have awesome customer service) I sent them back to get the cell interface and convert them to 20XLcs. I'd love to get the Zulus but $$$ is in short supply. I think their main competition is of course Bose and the DC X-11
When I tried the X-11 at OSH last year, I was very disappointed in the ANC. I had to check that it was actually turned on. (Weak battery maybe?) Leslie and I bought a set of Bose back in 2005 and did a long trip with them to test them. One of them had quality problems where the mic would cut out, IIRC. For the 2AMU we'd paid, we decided that it was unacceptable, and we hadn't been totally wowed by them. We took advantage of the 30 day return policy, and Leslie went back to her DCs.

So now Leslie got a Zulu for XMas this year, and it had a problem with the mic too! We decided to go ahead and get it repaired, though we haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow. And I just ordered the Zulu upgrade for my Thirty 3Gs. Can't say it makes the most logical sense, but...

If you had a DC headset you could swap out the adult size headband for the youth size headband to get a better fit on the smaller head. :))

If you had a DC headset you could swap out the adult size headband for the youth size headband to get a better fit on the smaller head. :))

Hmmm. That's something I'll have to inquire about with Lightspeed!

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm. That's something I'll have to inquire about with Lightspeed!

Thanks for the input.

I had Lightspeed replace the gel seals on my 3G's with the 1 1/2 inch foam ear seals after I determined that the seal problem was because I was a "pin head". That solved my noise problems.

Barb

I had Lightspeed replace the gel seals on my 3G's with the 1 1/2 inch foam ear seals after I determined that the seal problem was because I was a "pin head". That solved my noise problems.

Barb

Alan Schrader, president of Lightspeed, was on my voice mail today asking how I liked the new Zulus. Now THAT, boys and girls, is great customer service.

I called him back, got HIS voicemail (the true tale of 21st century communications, sad to say), told him they were great, and asked if he had any suggested solutions to the small head issue.

We'll see if he has an answer!

Back