Lightspeed Zulu 3 vs Bose A20 (Main Volume & Audio)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
This question isn't about fit or comfort or cables or who's better at warranty work - there's already 200 threads on that stuff.

We currently have one pair of Zulu 3's (thanks @pigpenracing!). Often my daughter dibs the Zulu 3's and loves the Bluetooth integration to watch a movie on her tablet. One nice thing about the Zulu 3's is that they have a dedicated button to control how the intercom and bluetooth audio are mixed. Since she doesn't want that many interruptions she puts it in the mode where the bluetooth audio is not muted. She then turns the separate bluetooth volume up and the main headset volume down.

This is where I feel the Zulu's are "almost" perfect. The main volume adjustment doesn't really allow the intercom/ATC audio to be fully turned down. Even slid all the way to the lowest setting you can still hear the intercom/ATC. Its like zero is really 15% and full is 100%. She is okay with it but has me wondering. In case you are wondering our intercom and COM's are not cranked up.

Looking at the user manual for the Bose A20 with bluetooth (or external audio input) there is a similar switch. The middle position does not attenuate the bluetooth/audio signal when there is ATC/intercom - like the Zulu's. So for this case I am guessing the user would then turn the main headset volume all the way down. But does the intercom/atc go totally quiet or does it also always have some volume when "off". I don't have a set to compare so curious if any Bose A20 users out there can confirm? Actually this is probably irrelevant to Bluetooth - does the Bose A20 main volume go totally quiet when adjusted to the quietest position?

I don't see any controller dip switch options on either headset to effect this.

Heck I think even our old adjustable DC's don't allow the volume all the way to zero so maybe its a safety thing?

I can hook you up with another Zulu 3... Trust me they are better than the Bose!

I am sure we will buy another Zulu 3 and when we are ready you'll be the first to know. But was thinking of having one Bose A20 in the plane, partly for some variety and partly if that main volume can be adjusted all the way down.

Any chance your audio panel has a switch labeled ISO?

Yes there is but it is just a pilot isolate that no longer allows the co-pilot to hear/talk. In this case I wanted it mainly for the rear passengers if they are watching movies. I am guessing a modern audio panel would help here. But it would be nice if the headset volume could do it as then that passenger could just turn it all the way off or not - their choice.

A panel such as the ones from PSE is a good investment for this and other functions.

Finally have my hands on a older Bose A20 that only has Bluetooth for calls where audio is still via the wired input. Haven't flown with them yet, however I can now answer my original question. The main volume adjustment for the headset (not music/phone) does not allow for the ATC/intercom to be turned all the way down :(

So at this point whether you are using Lightspeed or Bose, if your rear seat passenger(s) want to hear their music or movie and not hear any ATC or pilot/copilot intercom they will not be able to fully isolate with the headsets alone. They would either need to unplug the input jack or have this feature via audio panel.

Actually the lowest volume of the 2 is the lightspeed by a bit. Its funny why they wont let you adjust the main headset volume to completely quiet?

There is a isolate switch on each headset (nice). Both do the same thing, either pre-empting the music or mixing with ATC. I like the simple button on the lightspeed better.

I guess a few other more niche comments (until I can fly with them)

The music quality of the Bose definitely sounds better.

The bluetooth phone call feature is also notably better on the Bose as well. On the Bose it is like a regular call. On the lightspeed it works but there are delays making the call a bit awkward.

What is also surprising about the Bose is that the ear cups look deceivingly small yet the headset and ear cups fits my big noggin' and ears quite well.

The rest needs a test flight or two for determining comfort, ANR, controller ease of use, etc.

The zulu 3's are still really hard to beat with that kevlar cord and all features (ie. Bluetooth) standard.

Back