Lightspeed Tango

Andrew Byrd

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingByrd
Hello to all my fellow aviators,

I'm looking at getting a new headset and I'm head over heels for the wireless Lightspeed Tango. I was wondering how well they work, and how someone might compare them to the Bose A20s. Please respond only if you've used both. Thanks!

A pilot friend who got one when they first came out continues to use it, but he's no longer a big fan of them. He says it became a list of small annoyances that added up to him not liking them as much. He said that if he could afford to, he'd shift over to the Lightspeed Z.2 or PFX.

I have the PFX and love them. Crazy quiet in the cockpit, ability to change batteries while in flight incase you run out of juice on the current set. And simple Bluetooth connectivity to music source.

I have the lightspeed zulu 2. Not at all what OP asked, but I like 'em, and love the bluetooth to the tablet.

A pilot friend who got one when they first came out continues to use it, but he's no longer a big fan of them. He says it became a list of small annoyances that added up to him not liking them as much. He said that if he could afford to, he'd shift over to the Lightspeed Z.2 or PFX.

I have the PFX and love them. Crazy quiet in the cockpit, ability to change batteries while in flight incase you run out of juice on the current set. And simple Bluetooth connectivity to music source.
From the reviews I've read, and you may be able to agree with this, the headset costs $800, and is a great idea, but it wasn't executed very well, making it very overpriced. I've read well over 100 reviews and it's about 50/50 whether they're good or not. Honestly, I'm probably gonna end up getting the A20s just because it's hard to find a negative review on them.

I've flown with both the A20 and Tango. The Tango isn't as great as the Zulu 2 or PFX, and the A20 is like 7-8 years old now though. A better comparison would be the PFX vs A20.

If you want to go the Bose route, I see a lot of guys at work using the uflymike with either the bose QC15 or QC25. Personally I'm going to try the new nflightmic with the QC35 (even newer) and see how that goes. I've used the uflymike in the past with the QC25 and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the A20 in my opinion. The nflightmic just got announced, and there's a good chance i'll be ditching the A20's for those.

I personally prefer buying from Lightspeed over Bose for the customer support alone. My neighbor's kid stepped on the wire of a Lightspeed Sierra, then pulled on the headset and it pretty much totaled it. I sent it in and it was on my doorstep the next week as good as new. The service alone keeps me coming back. I had to send in an A20 in recently, and the experience was not nearly as positive.

I've flown with both the A20 and Tango. The Tango isn't as great as the Zulu 2 or PFX, and the A20 is like 7-8 years old now though. A better comparison would be the PFX vs A20.

If you want to go the Bose route, I see a lot of guys at work using the uflymike with either the bose QC15 or QC25. Personally I'm going to try the new nflightmic with the QC35 (even newer) and see how that goes. I've used the uflymike in the past with the QC25 and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the A20 in my opinion. The nflightmic just got announced, and there's a good chance i'll be ditching the A20's for those.

I personally prefer buying from Lightspeed over Bose for the customer support alone. My neighbor's kid stepped on the wire of a Lightspeed Sierra, then pulled on the headset and it pretty much totaled it. I sent it in and it was on my doorstep the next week as good as new. The service alone keeps me coming back. I had to send in an A20 in recently, and the experience was not nearly as positive.
Just out of curiosity where do you work? I'm about to start instrument training, and I'm pretty set on the charter route instead of the airlines, but that topic is really for another thread lol. I've never heard of any of the QC headsets, or the uflymike. Could you link me to say the QC35?

I see what you were saying now. I had never seen the headsets referred to as "QCxx", just Bose QuietComforts. That's an interesting set up, but I really don't use headphones outside of flying, so having wireless headphones that still have to be plugged in for aviation would be fairly pointless for me. Thanks for the thought though!

Just out of curiosity where do you work? I'm about to start instrument training, and I'm pretty set on the charter route instead of the airlines, but that topic is really for another thread lol. I've never heard of any of the QC headsets, or the uflymike. Could you link me to say the QC35?

I'm at a 121 carrier. The nice thing about the QC's is when you're commuting or deadheading, you just take the mic off and you have 'normal' headphones. Bose A20's are bulky to carry so the QCs are great when you want a 2 in 1 solution

I have the Zulu 2s and a Tango and I cannot tell any difference in sound quality.
But whoever is in the right seat gets to use the Tango so that the left seater doesn't trip over the cord when climbing out.

I have Lightspeed PFX and they are great! They have a 30 day money back guarantee and I believe Bose does as well. I've heard some people have bought both and then returned the ones they didn't like as much. I've never actually tried the Bose so I can't compare. I really like Lightspeed and they are a local company in my area so if ever need warranty work done I can just show up to their shop and get them fixed.

I have the QC35 and love them. Had no idea about the uflymike and nflgithmic ill have to look into that. Let me know how you like the setup with your QC35's

Those Bose setups are cool. I had no idea such an animal existed

Back