Lightspeed Tango Wireless Aviation Headset System

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
Saw this in AvWebFlash this morning...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Lightspeed-Unveils-Wireless-Headset-225186-1.html

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ls-tango.html

The description says:

LightSpeed Tango Wireless ANR Headset

The first premium wireless aviation headset, Tango blends outstanding noise cancelation, renowned Lightspeed comfort, and wireless convenience. With no cables to get in the way and critical controls — including volume and ComPriority™ — located on the headset, Tango creates an entirely new level of flying enjoyment and untethered freedom.

• Lightspeed Link technology — At the heart of Tango is Lightspeed Link. Developed by Lightspeed engineers to ensure the reliable communication pilots demand, Lightspeed Link is not Bluetooth or WiFi, but incorporates existing technologies chosen for both signal reliability and audio quality for the aviation environment. The Lightspeed Link connection is so robust, as many as six Tango headsets can be operated in the same aircraft, letting everyone onboard experience the true freedom of wireless flight.
  • Panel interface — The panel interface is the vital hub of the Lightspeed Link system, routing communication between the headset, the intercom, and auxiliary devices. Wrapped in an attractive and durable case, it houses the lower cable, which is adjustable to 31 inches. Weighing just under 9 ounces and with multiple mounting points, no upper cables, and critical controls located on the headset, the panel interface can be mounted conveniently and securely in any aircraft.
  • 21st century power — In yet another Lightspeed first, Tango is the first aviation headset powered by rechargeable lithium ion batteries, a power source trusted in countless critical applications. Lightspeed's rechargeable lithium ion batteries deliver twelve hours of continuous operation while offering earth and wallet friendly reusability in a compact size.
    The Tango dual-port wall charger can quickly charge both the headset and panel interface batteries at the same time, providing 75% charge in less than an hour and a full charge in two hours. The batteries can also be charged while the headset is in use or easily replaced on the go. The battery for the headset and panel interface are interchangeable, and spare batteries can be purchased separately.
  • Built-in redundancy — The panel interface also stores the backup cable, instantly available for uninterrupted communication, in the event the batteries become depleted.
  • Outstanding quiet — Tango delivers the advanced noise cancellation you expect from Lightspeed.
  • Remarkable comfort — Tango features plush ear seals with large openings and nearly 10 square inches of surface area for a better seal and greater distribution of side pressure.
  • FlightLink compatible — Capture and retrieve incoming and outgoing communications with Lightspeed's free FlightLink recording app for the Apple® iPad® and iPhone® via the supplied patch cable.
  • Choice of auxiliary inputs — Enjoy excellent call clarity, music fidelity, and access to critical alerts from aviation apps on mobile devices using either the supplied patch cable or Bluetooth®.
  • ComPriority — Never miss important radio communications with patented ComPriority, which lowers the volume of any auxiliary device automatically during radio or intercom transmissions.
  • Auto Shutoff — Lightspeed's proprietary Auto Shutoff feature saves battery life by automatically shutting down the headset and Panel Interface power when not in use.
  • Reversible microphone — A unique design allows microphone placement on the left or the right.
  • Included — Custom molded carrying case, music patch cord, cord clip, two lithium ion batteries (only one included with LEMO panel power headsets), two charging cables, dual-port wall charger.
  • Available Configurations — Dual GA battery power (rechargeable lithium ion); LEMO panel power*; U-174 (heli) battery power (rechargeable lithium ion).
    *Panel power is only provided to the panel interface. The headset still requires a rechargeable lithium ion battery (included).
  • 30-day money back guarantee — Lightspeed Aviation headsets are designed to be the best available anywhere, for any price. But we know that every cockpit and pilot is different. That's why we offer a 30-day money back guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason, return the product for a full and prompt refund.
  • 5-year warranty
  • Made in USA
So to me, the big benefit would be connecting 6 of these and eliminating all those cords. Then again, cords aren't that big a problem in a cabin where literally no one is moving around much.

Also, it sounds like this could create problems with audio panel functionality. How to do I do pilot isolate... crew... etc. Sounds like that may be what the "Panel Interface" does but it's not clear.

It's interesting but questions remain. Opinions... PIREPs?

Also, it sounds like this could create problems with audio panel functionality. How to do I do pilot isolate... crew... etc. Sounds like that may be what the "Panel Interface" does but it's not clear.

Audio panel functionality wouldn't change. You still have a panel interface for each headset.

Audio panel functionality wouldn't change. You still have a panel interface for each headset.

It says you can connect 6 of them - I assumed that meant to one interface. Not correct?

If you had an interface dangling at each "station" (each two-hole plug in location) then it's no different (nor much better) than a corded setup vis-a-vis audio panel functionality.

I hope this is a better product than the last wireless headset that was for sale a bunch of years ago. I bought one, used it a few times. Eventually gave it away to someone on one of the three colored boards. Told him he could pay me what he thought it was worth. Never heard back from him. I guess that's what we both thought it was worth.

Saw this in AvWebFlash this morning...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Lightspeed-Unveils-Wireless-Headset-225186-1.html

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ls-tango.html

The description says:

So to me, the big benefit would be connecting 6 of these and eliminating all those cords. Then again, cords aren't that big a problem in a cabin where literally no one is moving around much.

Pretty much where my thoughts went, sounded like a solution in search of a problem. Except for a 6 place plane without an intercom, I'm not seeing something that exudes value here, maybe I'm missing something.:dunno:

It says you can connect 6 of them - I assumed that meant to one interface. Not correct?

If you had an interface dangling at each "station" (each two-hole plug in location) then it's no different (nor much better) than a corded setup vis-a-vis audio panel functionality.

Each headset needs it's own "Base Station". One of the new tech features LS is touting is that when multiple Tango's are in use, none will interfere with the others. So if the backseaters are discussing competitive underwater basket weaving, the pilot flying won't share that with ATC when he makes his next check in.

Each headset needs it's own "Base Station". One of the new tech features LS is touting is that when multiple Tango's are in use, none will interfere with the others. So if the backseaters are discussing competitive underwater basket weaving, the pilot flying won't share that with ATC when he makes his next check in.

Huh?
LS headsets now have the power to change the underlying functionality of a plane's audio system?
What if I wanted (and was set up to have) all mics hot when the pilot's PTT is pressed?

Yeah, see, I just don't see that being a major issue, besides, that doesn't need wireless. Part of my Pax brief is, "If I hold up my hand, stop talking so I can talk to ATC." Never had a problem even with kids in the plane, and now that most intercoms or audio panels have a pilot isolate feature. I see limited market penetration on this feature. The guy who has an old stack in his Cherokee 6 he hauls around his kids in will love this, but how many is that?:dunno: I see it selling to the cabin class plane owners though, it would be a nice feature there to be wireless.

Pretty much where my thoughts went, sounded like a solution in search of a problem. Except for a 6 place plane without an intercom, I'm not seeing something that exudes value here, maybe I'm missing something.:dunno:

Some people won't see them as a solution. That's fine.

Personally, I love it - particularly for the aircraft I fly. I've occasionally caught my leg on the headset cord getting out of our club 172's and 182's. In the Remos, with the headset plugs behind the seats, I find the cords an annoyance.

In my opinion, this is a great stepping stone to eventually connecting your headset directly to the intercom wirelessly, without the need for plugs/base stations.

I've never had a issue with cords.

Maybe in a corporate aircraft or medevac for the med crew, but as a pilot cords have never been a factor, also what's the battery life compared to a Zulu 1?

Running out of batteries is much more of a concern for a ANR set than having a whiz bang feature like wireless.

The Bluetooth was great, the 3.5mm input was great, but wireless meh, just give me more battery life and I'll through down some cash, but wireless ain't going to get me out of my Zulu 1s.

...... Except for a 6 place plane without an intercom, I'm not seeing something that exudes value here, maybe I'm missing something.:dunno:

That's about the only benefit I can see, and for the price of 6 of those headsets you could probably wire in a 6 place intercom with bucks left over for a good chunk of avgas.

Personally, I love it - particularly for the aircraft I fly. I've occasionally caught my leg on the headset cord getting out of our club 172's and 182's. In the Remos, with the headset plugs behind the seats, I find the cords an annoyance.

In my opinion, this is a great stepping stone to eventually connecting your headset directly to the intercom wirelessly, without the need for plugs/base stations.

Log some more hours, getting tangled up in stuff is not a issue after you're comfy in the cockpit. As was already stated, sounds like solution in search of a problem.

Last edited:
Log some more hours, getting tangled up in stuff is not a issue after you're comfy in the cockpit. As was already stated, sounds like solution in search of a problem.

I've got plenty of hours over 15 years of flying, thanks. It still happens.

What am I missing? Why is it cheaper than the new Zulu? Is the base a seperate purchase?

What am I missing? Why is it cheaper than the new Zulu? Is the base a seperate purchase?

You're not missing anything. Everything is included, $800.

My guess is the Tango is the wireless equivalent of the Zulu2.

Lightspeed does have a recently approved trademark application for a "Tango PFX" which my guess means an eventual wireless PFX version.

Huh?
LS headsets now have the power to change the underlying functionality of a plane's audio system?
What if I wanted (and was set up to have) all mics hot when the pilot's PTT is pressed?

Probably okay if you can get it done with 4-part harmony

Huh?

That's probably optional.

You know...that was my concern. "Why does this headset have more sophistication and costs less?"

I am concerned that the speakers have less audio quality, the mic is cheaper, the ANR is not as good, the materials are cheaper or the ear seals are not as comfortable as the Zulu's.

I usually never complain about a better product for a better price, but what gives?!

Ok...all that said...I just bought a pair and they will be delivered sometime after December 1. :D

I thought of this idea back in 2003 or so, and wondered where the technological hurdle was that no big-name company developed this...I think they owe me a commission since I thought of it first.

Gene

Last edited:
You know...that was my concern. "Why is this headset have more sophistication and costs less?"

I am concerned that the speakers have less audio quality, the mic is cheaper, the ANR is not as good, the materials are cheaper or the ear seals are not as comfortable as the Zulu's.

I usually never complain about a better product for a better price, but what gives?!

Ok...all that said...I just bought a pair and they will be delivered sometime after December 1. :D

I thought of this idea back in 2003 or so, and wondered where the technological hurdle was that no big-name company developed this...I think they owe me a commission since I thought of it first.

Gene

Well, they have kinda reached the point of what the market will bear for an aviation headset, and there's still a buttload of profit built into it at that price.

Agree!! I think LS made a mistake by making these headsets with a proprietary wireless system. It should have been BT so that company's like PS Engineering can make an Audio Panel that can BT to BT headsets universally.

Maybe LS should make a base-station that can be integrated into an audio panel or one that his hidden behind the panel and directly wired into ship's power so that discharging the base-station's battery is not a worry.

They can still supply remote jacks in case of a headset battery failure or discharge.

Gene

MOAR BATTERIES!!!1!1!!
exactly.

in my ANR, the battery quits, it gets a little louder. In a wireless, the battery quits, you basically lose comms until you plug the backup in. No thanks.

exactly.

in my ANR, the battery quits, it gets a little louder. In a wireless, the battery quits, you basically lose comms until you plug the backup in. No thanks.

Hopefully, the audible warning that your battery is about to be completely depleted happens with another time for you to engage the cable or switch battery.

My .2's are good for nearly 15-20 hrs on a single set of AA's. I hope the Tangos have an equivalent result.

exactly.

I agree. It's only a matter of time before planes will fall out of the sky in the 10 seconds it will take to plug the backup cord in. :rolleyes2:

63180775.jpg

1383.jpg

59198371.jpg

I agree. It's only a matter of time before planes will fall out of the sky in the 10 seconds it will take to plug the backup cord in. :rolleyes2:

I guess the continuous 2 way radio communication part doesn't apply to you :rolleyes:

I guess the continuous 2 way radio communication part doesn't apply to you :rolleyes:

If you're the type to ignore the warnings that your battery may die (whatever tones LS uses to denote that) I'd argue you shouldn't be flying in the system to begin with.

from the manual........."The power LED will flash red and an audible tone will play briefly when there are 3 hours of battery life remaining"

some of the arguments in this thread are flippin comical.

anyways, I'm expecting these to be delivered today, so whether they suck or are awesome will hopefully be determined soon......if they get here by 11 I'll most likely take them up for a test run today, otherwise it may have to wait until the weekend.

So can I buy one "base station" and two headsets to turn my 4-place intercom into something that 5 people can use?

Back