lightspeed sierra headsets??

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Anyone used the Sierra headset from Lightspeed? I'm thinking of getting some and having my LS 3G repaired so that I have 2 ANR headsets available instead of trading up the 3G to the Zulu.... I currently have an old pair of Sigtronics that work fine but aren't ANR that I've been using while the students have the LS 3G ones... I want some ANRs for me too :wink2:

Anyway, anybody have an opinion on the Sierras? they weigh 3 oz. More than the Zulus but otherwise, frankly for no more than I really need they seem like they'd be fine

Danka mucho

Last edited:
Thanks.... they look exactly the same and I meant weight 3 oz. more - there are a couple of whiz bang things that they don't do but I don't need them to do anything other than be comfortable and cancel noise.

I'll check them out too. I originally was going to trade uo but then figured that for 100.00 more I could have 2 sets that have ANR.

Why do you like your bose?

Anyone used the Sierra headset from Lightspeed? I'm thinking of getting some and having my LS 3G repaired so that I have 2 ANR headsets available instead of trading up the 3G to the Zulu.... I currently have an old pair of Sigtronics that work fine but aren't ANR that I've been using while the students have the LS 3G ones... I want some ANRs for me too :wink2:

Anyway, anybody have an opinion on the Sierras? they weigh 3 oz. less than the Zulus but otherwise, frankly for no more than I really need they seem like they'd be fine

Danka mucho

They are perfectly fine. I have a pair for the right seat and they're great. I think its the same as my Zulu but with a plastic cup instead of magnesium.

Well, they look nearly exactly the same

What features did you find missing BTW? Mine bluetooths up to a phone I'm almost sure, and is noticably just as quiet as the Zulu (the noise has a slightly different note is all I can tell by listening).

FWIW, I was looking at Bose, Sennheiser, and Lightspeed at Oshkosh. Here's my opinion, it's worth what you are paying for it.

Lightspeeds seem to break a lot.
You'll hear lots of good things about Lightspeed customer service and warranty / nonwarranty repairs. But that's because lots of people have had to use it. I have no idea what Bose or Dave Clark customer service is like. I've never had to use them.
The Lighspeeds seemed bulky and heavy for a premium ANR.

Sennheiser S1
Also big. The adaptive noise canceling sounded fantastic. The way it changes its canceling profile is very nice, and really made it quiet.
The headset was slightly bulkier than a Bose X, much larger than an A20.
The hinges felt flimsy, I had definite concerns about longevity, and with it being a new design, I was uncomfortable with paying top-self cash for an unproven design.
The control unit on the cable seems unnecessarily complex, and the buttons are small and could be difficult to adjust in flight. The volume is controlled by sliders with relatively short travel between all the way down and all the way up. It was hard to adjust volume without both ands and focusing on the unit, even when just standing in a vendor tent.

Bose A20
Comfortable. Smaller. Bose has been at this a very long time, and they have a great track record.
However, the smaller size also means that there is no noise reduction if power fails. They finally have LEMO connections with battery backup on the cable, and a LEMO adapter to use plug A20s with a LEMO and pass the power through.
The volume knobs are improved and protected against bumps changing volume, but they are easy to adjust without looking.

So, my list would be Bose or Lightspeed. But for me, the reliability is worth the money for Bose. Consider a used pair of Bose X. There are several on Amazon for $500 to 700. I would call Bose and ask how much for a refurbishment.
Sarasota Avionics has a set for $489 in Very Good condition and with a 3 month warranty.

Thanks, Alan, I'll check them out

Try both on for a while as well. The cups are a different shape between the Bose and Lightspeed. The Bose start bothering my ears after an hour where the Zulus don't, and I know people who are opposite. Both sets are equally excellent and you won't go wrong with either. I've had no problems with either of mine. Just see which ones are more comfortable and go with them. In the long run that matters more than any feature.

Try both on for a while as well. .... Just see which ones are more comfortable and go with them. In the long run that matters more than any feature.

Agreed.

I have had my sierra's for a year now and love them. Very good fit for me and very little pressure after a 2 hr flight, unlike my Sigtronics s20's. ANR is awesome and the Bluetooth hooked right up with my phone.

I would recommend them, especially is they have a good fit for you.

I have two sets of Sierra's and like them very much. I traded the QFR pro sets back to lightspeed for them. Usually passengers use them but I have started to use them myself when I have fewer passengers and think they are great.

I bought two Sierras the first day they went on sale. I haven't had any problems with them at all and really loved them. No complaints after a few 2-3 hour trips. My boss has some Zulu's that I think he bought as soon as those were released. I far prefer the Sierras. Part of that might be that I have glasses and the Sierras provide a bit more pressure to seal the sides.

I have a Lightspeed Sierra for a passenger headset. I haven't tried it but my passengers seem to like it. My CFI liked it when he got to try it (his is a non-ANR headset). The difference in features between the Zulu and Sierra is small. The Sierra doesn't support Bluetooth music playing.

To revive a dead thread, and because Alan will laugh out loud...

I ended up picking up a pair of Lightspeed Sierras... and 'lo and behold they were "motor boating" a bit during the first flight with them.

Got home where there was better light and found that the little plastic circle/metallic windscreen on top of the earcup on one side is missing completely, whereas it's in place on the other side. Can't imagine it fell out during the very first flight, so it was probably never there in the first place. I assume having this little screen/cover missing freaks out the ANR on that side. (Only one ear was motor boating, and pressing on the ear cup would usually stop it.)

So now that Alan's laughing about the quality of the build... and I have to either return these things or figure out how to use Lightspeed's "excellent" customer service... which is closed today, the day after Thanksgiving (hey, I had to work... I guess they're not...), so I'm slightly miffed already.

Meanwhile... the fit was good on my big ears, and the headset is definitely lighter and more comfortable than my good ol' DC's. But I'm already wondering if this will be a love/hate relationship.

The whole "must be plugged into a live intercom" for the mic to work, even in bluetooth mode, is a little wonky too... but not a huge deal. I don't really need the BT feature, anyway. One of the reasons I went with the Sierra was that I don't need the BT for even the phone, let alone music... the airplane has an audio input jack wired into the intercom.

In all, probably not worth it so far. But I do like how they fit. We'll see if the dealer wants them back or if they want me to deal with Lightspeed.

I ordered a set and have yet to use them... Good luck with the repair/rebuild. I'm going to take a close look at them now for evenly distributed little bits.

They are perfectly fine. I have a pair for the right seat and they're great. I think its the same as my Zulu but with a plastic cup instead of magnesium.
I haven't tried a Sierra in flight but did test them in a "sound booth" at OSH when they came out. IIRC the ANR wasn't quite as good as a Zulu (which are really, really good) but comparable to a Thirty 3G and maybe even a bit better than that. IOW not the absolute best, but very good.

FWIW, I was looking at Bose, Sennheiser, and Lightspeed at Oshkosh. Here's my opinion, it's worth what you are paying for it.

Lightspeeds seem to break a lot.
You'll hear lots of good things about Lightspeed customer service and warranty / nonwarranty repairs. But that's because lots of people have had to use it. I have no idea what Bose or Dave Clark customer service is like. I've never had to use them.
The Lighspeeds seemed bulky and heavy for a premium ANR.

I love my Zulus, but they have the Made in China quality feel. I overlooked at where they were made or I would've spurged for US Made Bose. I can wear the Zulus all day long so maybe they are a superior! I've heard Bose gets uncomfortable on long flights?

Tony

I love my Zulus, but they have the Made in China quality feel. I overlooked at where they were made or I would've spurged for US Made Bose. I can wear the Zulus all day long so maybe they are a superior! I've heard Bose gets uncomfortable on long flights?

Tony
In ANR, I've done the Bose X10, the Lightspeed thirty-3G, and the Lightspeed Zulu. We returned the Bose because periodically the mic wouldn't work and it was within the 30 days. They seemed comfortable enough. I bought the thirty-3G with the intention of upgrading them to the Zulus when they became available, and did so. I've been happy with the Zulus, but did have a problem after about a year. Sent them for maintenance for the cost of shipping and have been happy since. I tried the Dave Clard ANR at OSH when it came out and I literally asked the salesman if they were turned on. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Lightspeed Sierra.

Back