LightSpeed service?

Jeff K

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff King
2 years ago I purchased an "Aircraft Spruce" ANR labeled headset. I stepped on it and broke the earpiece mounting yoke. Spruce told me to send it to LightSpeed to be repair... apparently they made it and it was still in warranty. Figured it would be no big deal as I've inflicted similar abuse to 10 year old David Clark's and SoftComm's but LightSpeed tells me they discontinued that headset a year ago and have no parts.

Their "fix" was to offer me a $300 credit for this $250 headset towards a $600 Sierra. Frankly I'm not all that exited about that (If I had wanted a $600 headset I would have bought a $600 headset) but it also has me wondering this question:

Has anyone had success with LightSpeed service or are their headsets just throwaways? I'm pretty unhappy about the $250 lightspeed headset having no parts and I really don't want to double down if that's what I can expect from the $600 headset.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Lightspeed.

Back in 2003, I bought a pair of 15XL's on clearance at Banyan for $300 each. I think they had been discontinued, which is why they were discounted.

Over the 10 years I had them, I think each went back once for a no charge repair.

Eventually one of the plastic parts of the headband broke. I was advised by them that, after what was then about 9 years, they no longer supported that model. But they did look around and found and sent me two new replacement headbands for no charge, and I effected the repair myself*.

And, finally, over the last year they gave me $250 each towards Sierras.

If they have no parts for your old headset, what do you expect them to do? It would be nice to have them do whatever you wish, and it would certainly be exemplary customer service, but I think their exchange offer is not bad, and the Sierra's for $350 out of pocket seem a good deal.

Good luck whichever way you go.

*I have one 15XL headband and some parts in a box in my hangar if anyone can use them.

Last edited:
I have had nothing but EXCEPTIONAL service from Lightspeed...

I won't buy any other brand...:no:

I've never had to send anything in but a couple of times I've either called them or dropped by the booth and they've handed me parts. Some of them were my own fault (I dropped a tool box on top of one set of headphones in the trunk of the car).

2 years ago I purchased an "Aircraft Spruce" ANR labeled headset. I stepped on it and broke the earpiece mounting yoke. Spruce told me to send it to LightSpeed to be repair... apparently they made it and it was still in warranty. Figured it would be no big deal as I've inflicted similar abuse to 10 year old David Clark's and SoftComm's but LightSpeed tells me they discontinued that headset a year ago and have no parts.

Their "fix" was to offer me a $300 credit for this $250 headset towards a $600 Sierra. Frankly I'm not all that exited about that (If I had wanted a $600 headset I would have bought a $600 headset) but it also has me wondering this question:

Has anyone had success with LightSpeed service or are their headsets just throwaways? I'm pretty unhappy about the $250 lightspeed headset having no parts and I really don't want to double down if that's what I can expect from the $600 headset.

They just repaired my 13 yo set with lots of new parts including updated electronics. No charge. Lightspeed rocks.

Personally, I'd blame Spruce, not Lightspeed. Obviously they're the ones who dropped support for that product. Sounds like they're being generous on the upgrade.

I bought an unbranded Lightspeed ANR headset during my training. The mic boom broke off earlier this year (about 2 years after purchase). I called them and they repaired it no questions asked. Recently the same headset earpiece broke off. I called, but they told me they no longer had parts for this headset. They gave me a $150 credit toward a Sierra. I guess I am a bit jealous that you got more credit for yours, but I wasn't too disappointed with the situation. After it broke a second time, I was thinking the cheap ANR headsets were not really built for primary pilot use, and was thinking about upgrading anyway. In the end, a $250 ANR headset is relatively "cheap", and I got almost 3 years out of it. Now if my Sierra breaks within a few years, and they don't fix it, I'd be upset. Overall, though I highly recommend Lightspeed.

Personally, I'd blame Spruce, not Lightspeed. Obviously they're the ones who dropped support for that product. Sounds like they're being generous on the upgrade.

That's what I was thinking as I was reading through the posts. You beat me to it.

I bought two Zulu's about 2 years ago. A few months ago I noticed black flecks all over my shirt. Then I looked in the mirror and their were black flecks all over my face. I checked the headsets and saw all the plastic(vinyl) cushions were severely cracking and flaking. My wife's set is still perfect and we always fly together and we don't really keep track of who's is who's. I called Lightspeed and they said they could fix that. For $40 plus shipping they sent me two new ear pads and a head pad. Not a lot, but I expected to get longer life out of it than that. Next time I will probably look at the Squawk Shoppe. It is a small business and the owner is a POA member and he seems really quality and service oriented at a good price.

If they have no parts for your old headset, what do you expect them to do?

That wasn't my question. I already know they aren't going to repair my 2 year old lightspeed headset because they don't have the parts. The question is what am I going to do.... double down with a company who stops making parts for (private label) headsets they discontinued a year ago or trust they will support the headsets they label with their own name.

The reality is if I have a beef... it is with aircraft spruce.

So it does sound like LightSpeed supports their own label headsets so at least that concern is gone.

Thanks to you and the others for eliminating my concerns. Now I just need to decide if I want a $600 headset :D

T...they aren't going to repair my 2 year old lightspeed headset because they don't have the parts. :D

I am having a hard time believeing that Lightspeed does not have parts for 2 year old headsets..:confused::confused::idea:

Either don't step on your headsets or buy DC

I am having a hard time believeing that Lightspeed does not have parts for 2 year old headsets..:confused::confused::idea:

Sounds to me it most likely was "one-off" build for a client (Aircraft Spruce), thus the name LightSpeed does not appear on the headset or any of the associated warranty paperwork...and whatever parts were needed for the project were all used only to build the needed headsets for the client.

My take on it is that Aircraft Spruce should be the one taking care of the matter.

Just guessin' :dunno:

Edit to add: I've had a set of 20XLc's that I bought back 10 years ago when I started flying...they've been back to the shop twice and fixed. First time gratis, second time I had to pay for the new ear pieces and a headband. No biggie. My Zulu's ANR took a dump after I had had them for a year. Called LightSpeed, got an R/A, they were fixed and back in less than two weeks no charge. IMHO, LightSpeed service rocks!

Mike

Last edited:

Me too... hence my post here. It is however a private label headset (aircraft spruce) made by light speed. It was discontinued a year ago.

Either don't step on your headsets or buy DC

:rolleyes: Well... we've already established I'm a serial headset offender so that's not likely to change. Softcomm and DC have already rebuilt a few for me.

Sounds to me it most likely was "one-off" build for a client (Aircraft Spruce), thus the name LightSpeed does not appear on the headset or any of the associated warranty paperwork...and whatever parts were needed for the project were all used only to build the needed headsets for the client.

My take on it is that Aircraft Spruce should be the one taking care of the matter.

AC was my first stop. First they pass me over to "Pilot Communications" and when they denied making them Spruce then gave me to Lightspeed.

At this point I most certainly won't be buying any more Spruce labeled products. It was a nice headset however.

Last edited:
I bought two Zulu's about 2 years ago. A few months ago I noticed black flecks all over my shirt. Then I looked in the mirror and their were black flecks all over my face. I checked the headsets and saw all the plastic(vinyl) cushions were severely cracking and flaking. My wife's set is still perfect and we always fly together and we don't really keep track of who's is who's. I called Lightspeed and they said they could fix that. For $40 plus shipping they sent me two new ear pads and a head pad. Not a lot, but I expected to get longer life out of it than that. Next time I will probably look at the Squawk Shoppe. It is a small business and the owner is a POA member and he seems really quality and service oriented at a good price.

Do you have an air purifier/ozone generator? Or maybe they used some old ones during assembly.
I like our Zulu's, except one has an intermittent open circuit entering the control/battery device.

They just repaired my 13 yo set with lots of new parts including updated electronics. No charge. Lightspeed rocks.

Ok, now I'm confused. Why would they repair your 13 year old headset and have "parts" for it, but not for this guys less than 5 year old headset? How does that make them rock?

I'm curious as to how it's the store's fault that is selling the headset, and not the maker of the headset. If Lightspeed made it, and they rock, then they should be FIXING that warranty item, not telling him to go kick rocks.

Jeff, this is outside the scope of what I do, I'm not into repairing other people's stuff, but if you want to message me a few pics, maybe there's something I can do, or maybe I have a part that would work.
I always keep my competitions stuff lying around to see what I'm up against. Apparently not much.

Last edited:
Light speed threads always crack me up, everyone is so proud of the service but ignores the part about needing service.

Light speed threads always crack me up, everyone is so proud of the service but ignores the part about needing service.

I initially bought two DC's(now with 250 hrs/65 mo old) and no problems. I have two Zulu's with 150 hrs/60 mo old and one is already intermittent. Out of the 150 hrs, 125 hrs were in a fixed location velcroed in my -10. Poor wiring job or materials. Now I need to send them off for repair. Not proud of them and not what I expected for $800. I think I will be talking to archammer to replace the kids DC with ANR's later on.

I'm curious as to how it's the store's fault that is selling the headset, and not the maker of the headset. If Lightspeed made it, and they rock, then they should be FIXING that warranty item, not telling him to go kick rocks.

Maybe you missed the part where the OP stated it was an Aircraft Spruce branded headset...or maybe you didn't and just wanted to take the opportunity to make an unwarranted poke at a competitor.

Mazda re-badges Ford Rangers and sells them as "B" series trucks. If you have one and it needs warranty work, would you take it to your local Mazda dealer or Ford dealer?

Aircraft Spruce's badge is on that headset so it's their baby...just like it would be Mazda's baby.

If the set can't be fixed then they should offer their customer a full credit. Lightspeed, by offering the customer more than what he paid for the headset in the first place, has gone above and beyond IMO.

I bought Zulu and no kidding, the mike broke off before I could take my first flight with my brandy new $900 headset. My partner in the right seat just laughed as he put on his Bose. And I got to use a set of crappy passives we keep in the hangar.

Worst part? I called Lightpeed expecting them to FEDX me a new headset pronto, but no. I had to get an RMA number and send them in. I was so pizzed I ordered a Bose that very day. The Zulu came back two weeks later and they are my pax set. Bose are now 5+ years old and keep on going.

No lightspeed fan here, they will never get another $ from me. Cheap plastic crap.

I have had nothing but EXCEPTIONAL service from Lightspeed...

True Dat - great service.

If its under warranty and they can't replace it or fix it - then they really should do something like offer you an equivalent headset from their current line -

Maybe you missed the part where the OP stated it was an Aircraft Spruce branded headset...or maybe you didn't and just wanted to take the opportunity to make an unwarranted poke at a competitor.

Mazda re-badges Ford Rangers and sells them as "B" series trucks. If you have one and it needs warranty work, would you take it to your local Mazda dealer or Ford dealer?

Aircraft Spruce's badge is on that headset so it's their baby...just like it would be Mazda's baby.

If the set can't be fixed then they should offer their customer a full credit. Lightspeed, by offering the customer more than what he paid for the headset in the first place, has gone above and beyond IMO.

No I don't believe I missed anything, nor do I enjoy poking or being poked at. Its called a "manufacturers" warranty to avoid any confusion, and the exact reason why the store referred him to Lightspeed, the only people capable of repairing/replacing that headset. Using your automotive reference, just because a car has a Joe Blow Chevrolet badge on it, only means you know where you bought it. Its a lightspeed headset, made by lightspeed, period, and the accountability lies solely in their lap from this chair.

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As the not so proud owner of 2 20XL and 2 30XL Lightspeed headsets, one of which needs repair, I will verify that they have no support for those older models due to the fact that they are out of parts, and have been out of production for a couple of years. This information was obtained during a telephone call with customer service. During the 13 years since I have started using these headsets I have had many occasions to take advantage of their superior customer service because they were made so cheaply that the plastic parts failed a lot. The ear covers are garbage. They will not make it 18 months without shedding all over your face in Florida heat and humidity. As a fix they once sent me a set that had a spandex like cloth covering that worked, but the discontinued it and went back to the junk. They are now failing electronically, the ANR does not work in the two newest sets that are about 8 years old. Five years ago I dug out my old David Clark's and installed a Headsets Inc. ANR module. Much better!

As I told a Lightspeed VP a couple of years ago, if I was going to spend the kind of money they want for a Zulu I would buy Bose!

2 years ago I purchased an "Aircraft Spruce" ANR labeled headset. I stepped on it and broke the earpiece mounting yoke. Spruce told me to send it to LightSpeed to be repair... apparently they made it and it was still in warranty.

I agree. No misunderstanding here. Works the same with me. I sell American Standard HVAC equipment. My labor warranty is 1 yr. My customers depend on the mfr to provide the repair parts under the 5 or 10 yr part warr. If Am Std cannot provide those parts to me, I can usually get aftermarket parts, but the customer will have to pay for them. The part warr does not cover labor, shipping, refrigerant, paint, rust, belts, preventive maintenance, etc. A descent manufacturer should always provide repair parts through their warr period or at least 10 yrs. I have 18 yr old units that I still can get coils for(most unique part of your HVAC).

I don't have a horse in this race, but I think that was a cheap shot. Just because he has a similar business doesn't mean he can't have an opinion. In fact his familiarity with the business probably gives him a little better insight into such matters.

What are you complaining about? I had the same Aircraft Spruce headset, bought them for $220 about 5 years ago. I accidentally broke it and my options were limited because it was only a 3 year warranty. I decided to traded it in for a Zulu.2 for a $200 trade credit.

Best decision I have ever made!!!!

Technically, Lightspeed didn't even have to offer you more than $50 trade credit.

I would be great full because Lightspeed just offered you a trade value $70 more than you paid for the headset. You were just paid to fly with those things for 2 years. Lucky.

Last edited:
Like this wasn't?

Tit...tat...no apologies.

Actually, NO. I don't think that was a cheap shot. All businesses strive to be better than the competition. When the competition provides crappy products, and you know you can do better, it is good to learn from that. Do you have any reason to believe that the Squawk Shoppe products are inferior in any way? Or do you just have a problem with a small business ownerthat is proud of himself and his product?

Neither. I just had a problem with what I viewed as a cheap shot...just like you did.

Sell your own product but don't pump yourself up by slamming your competition. People typically see right through that.

Neither. I just had a problem with what I viewed as a cheap shot...just like you did.

Sell your own product but don't pump yourself up by slamming your competition. People typically see right through that.
Ok. I guess I can buy that.
But often times it is real tough to keep your mouth shut when you know the competition is a fraud. Just like when doctors or other professionals are accused of covering up for the frauds in their field. The only problem I would have is if the criticism is a lie.

What are you complaining about?

I wasn't really complaining... I was just trying to determine if these were throw away headsets I had or if I should take the deal for the upgrade (and could expect support).

I had the same Aircraft Spruce headset, bought them for $220 about 5 years ago. I accidentally broke it and my options were limited because it was only a 3 year warranty.

And I was still under warranty. But why should you being out of warranty limit your options? I accidentally broke my 10 year old DC and dirt cheap Softcomm's... and my options weren't limited because they still made parts for them and they were designed to be repairable.

Technically, Lightspeed didn't even have to offer you more than $50 trade credit..

You might want to read the warranty. It is silent on trade in credits.... repair, replace (same) or refund are the remedies offered.

In any case, the issue was a bit more complicated. These were relabeled headsets that *I* broke. I wasn't asking for anything for free. My concern was lack of replacement parts and concern over the option(s) presented. Ultimately I took the trade up as I would have needed to buy another headset anyways (my other alternative was a pro-rated refund).

I'm still a fan of cheap headsets (it was actually a great headset)... but learned my lesson about buying relabeled stuff from Aircraft Spruce... just direct now from people who can support the product. As to LightSpeed, I'll withhold judgement on them until after they fix my Sierra's after I step on them :yikes: which they assured me they could handle!!

Last edited:
I bought Zulu and no kidding, the mike broke off before I could take my first flight with my brandy new $900 headset. My partner in the right seat just laughed as he put on his Bose. And I got to use a set of crappy passives we keep in the hangar.

Worst part? I called Lightpeed expecting them to FEDX me a new headset pronto, but no. I had to get an RMA number and send them in. I was so pizzed I ordered a Bose that very day. The Zulu came back two weeks later and they are my pax set. Bose are now 5+ years old and keep on going.

No lightspeed fan here, they will never get another $ from me. Cheap plastic crap.
I've put a thousand hours on my Zulu. I never put it in a case and I constantly just throw it wherever. It broke once, when someone sat on it. I sent it to lightspeed in a box with no packaging and a RMA number that took me a minute to get. They fixed it pronto and sent it back in a new case free of charge.

I have owned the Lightspeed 2G's, 3G's, Zulu's and Zulu.2's. I have sent them all in to be repaired at one time or another, but never due to poor design or construction quality. It has always been due to me shutting the door on the cord or a passenger tripping on the cord. The weak link seems to always be the cord and human interaction.

My point is that Lightspeed has NEVER sent me a bill...even for 4 year-old headsets that I damaged due to my own stupidity and even admitted that fact to them when I called for my RMA #.

The bottom line is that Lightspeed makes fantastic products, stands behind them and does most repairs free of charge. I will be a loyal LS customer for the foreseeable future.

Gene

I wasn't really complaining... I was just trying to determine if these were throw away headsets I had or if I should take the deal for the upgrade (and could expect support).

And I was still under warranty. But why should you being out of warranty limit your options? I accidentally broke my 10 year old DC and dirt cheap Softcomm's... and my options weren't limited because they still made parts for them and they were designed to be repairable.

You might want to read the warranty. It is silent on trade in credits.... repair, replace (same) or refund are the remedies offered.

In any case, the issue was a bit more complicated. These were relabeled headsets that *I* broke. I wasn't asking for anything for free. My concern was lack of replacement parts and concern over the option(s) presented. Ultimately I took the trade up as I would have needed to buy another headset anyways (my other alternative was a pro-rated refund).

I'm still a fan of cheap headsets (it was actually a great headset)... but learned my lesson about buying relabeled stuff from Aircraft Spruce... just direct now from people who can support the product. As to LightSpeed, I'll withhold judgement on them until after they fix my Sierra's after I step on them :yikes: which they assured me they could handle!!

In all honesty, DC's do last a long time but the reason they can still be repaired is because their current production line uses the same outdated parts and technology that they used 20 years ago and they have not advanced their headsets.

Lightspeed on the other hand supplied these headsets to different businesses at the businesses request. Lightspeed probably did not want to be apart of this market (low grade headsets) and moved on to compete with Bose...which they are doing a great job at in my opinion.

What I love most about the service is that I don't have to press 1 to get an automated machine...it is always a live person that picks up the phone within second. My friend knew a friend that used to work there and there is really only a few dozen employees within this company. For that size to be side by side competitors with a company like Bose deserves a huge pat on the back. Bose Aviation department is 20X the size of this whole company.

If you havent been able to tell yet, I am a Lightspeed customer for life. I think you made a wise choice with this upgrade... as much as it hurt to lose a low cost Aircraft spruce headset, you wont be disappointed with your choice.

I have over 1000 hours on my Zulus about 500 hours on a pair of 20-3Gs. They may not be quite as durable as an classic David Clark (I have two of those as well), but I view that as a tradeoff for a lighter, more comfortable headset. Whenever I have had an issue it has been a no hassle experience, including the time my carelessness snapped the headband on the 20-3Gs in two. The sets come back as good as new for no charge.

Back