LightSPEED Mach1

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
I'm a new poster to this forum, though a long time reader thanks to Tony, so first I'd like to say hi to everyone!

Now as for my post topic...does anyone have any experience with the LightSPEED Mach1 headset? My QFRSolo Cs have lasted me close to five years, but now with every day use the ear seals are starting to wear thin and they're not as comfortable with sunglasses anymore. I could, of course, just get new ear seals, but those Mach1s are awful shinny and it's hard not to think about them. I was wondering if anyone has used them and can tell me how they do in terms of quietness, comfort over long periods, and how well the mic does with intercoms. Thanks!
Teller

hey matt, welcome! now we can directly give you crap when you dont post to your blog every day like we think you should :)

oh did you hear that its those pesky regional airliners that are causing all the delays at LaGuardia??? :):)

First off, welcome to the board. I bought my wife a Lightspeed Mach 1,
the first flight she used it she had issues with the mic, took it off and threw it in the back seat and put the Bose on. I tried them once, they were ok, just not that comfortable for me. I returned them. I have one student who loves them, so it goes into the different strokes for different folks category.

I'm a new poster to this forum, though a long time reader thanks to Tony, so first I'd like to say hi to everyone!

Now as for my post topic...does anyone have any experience with the LightSPEED Mach1 headset? My QFRSolo Cs have lasted me close to five years, but now with every day use the ear seals are starting to wear thin and they're not as comfortable with sunglasses anymore. I could, of course, just get new ear seals, but those Mach1s are awful shinny and it's hard not to think about them. I was wondering if anyone has used them and can tell me how they do in terms of quietness, comfort over long periods, and how well the mic does with intercoms. Thanks!
Teller

I have a Mach1 with custom earmolds and rarely use it. I found it to be louder than a good ANR in my Baron which has a fairly noisy cockpit, in a quieter plane it might be OK. It does do a better job on the wind noise but the engine/prop sounds are still annoyingly audible. With a LightSpeed Thirty3G I hardly notice the engines.

Comfort wise, the Mach 1 is superior if it fits although I did find that the left ear insert (the one the unit hangs on) can become painful after a couple hours. That might be less of a problem with the standard foam inserts. One thing for sure is that the Mach 1 makes putting sunglasses on and off much easier and on a hot day you don't get that sweaty, itchy ear feeling at all. One other nit is that the mic boom isn't anywhere near as stable as one on a conventional headset and it tends to wander around in turbulence.

That's exactly the answer I didn't want, Don! :) So shinny, yet so expensive. Sigh. Anyone else?

Ya, I just saw that story on NBC Nightly. I guess we should just get rid of all regionals and go back to pure hub to hub flying...there'd be less traffic at the airports, so I'm sure no one would mind having to drive to DFW, ATL, LAX, JFK, etc for all their flights. Don't get me wrong, I don't think airliners should get preference over other planes in the IFR system (which is the other suggested solution), but getting rid of regionals really doesn't seem like the most viable answer to the congestion. Just my opinion.

I'd be happy to post on my blog every day if you want to come fly the first round trip for me, Tony...no more 0415 wake ups and I'll be online a lot more!
Teller

I use the LS Mach 1 in the ERJ and love it. I had some custom ear molds made and it alleviated all problem with the mic wondering. In the jet it is quieter than any headset I have used (DC's and Bose) and on a long day it is a lot more comfortable. I don't think I would want it in a prop although I haven't tried it.

I thought all the big shot pilots used the Bose headset?!!!

Just kidding. I assume you're based in West Leb for USScair? I'm shocked that they still fly out of there. I flew out of KLEB a few times on USAir and Northwest Express back in the early '90s and was the only passenger half the time on a B1900. Fun for me, not too profitable for the airline. My wife and I spent 2 fabulous years up there getting our MBAs at Dartmouth. Some day we'll move back.

Welcome!

We do, indeed, still fly out of KLEB. Passenger loads are never HUGE, but we've been doing better and better recently (of course our on-time record still sucks, thanks to LGA, but at least we're carrying more people). Actually they're getting ready to change KLEB over to the SF340 and they're moving the 1900 out. I can't imagine trying to get a 340 into this postage-stamp-on-the-side-of-a-mountain airport (especially on the VOR25), but they're going to do it. If you do move back here, you might get to enjoy your own 34 seat airplane now!

Dartmouth looks wonderful, I wish I had spent more (some) time up here in my college days!

Teller

Hey, Teller: great blog.

Welcome to PoA; your kind's always welcome here!

/s/ Spike

I switched from the Lightspeed QFRSolo ANRs to the Mach1 about a year ago (after trying at least half a dozen other ANR headsets, including Bose [which I find awfully uncomfortable and not nearly as quiet as the old QFRSolo]). I wouldn't go back.

They're a bit fiddly to put on and stow, but worth it for the comfort. To me, it's like riding a motorcycle without a helmet (not a thing I endorse, but I did try it - once) - very liberating, wind-in-your-hair feeling.

I've had issue with the mike boom rotating in the custom earmold, but Lightspeed recently sent a "fix" in the form of a barb that will make the tube much more secure.
I've heard that they have a new way of making the custom earmolds that beefs up the supporting part of the mold to eliminate this problem.

Thanks for the advice so far! It's not making the decision any easier, but it's a good start. :) Has anyone used the generic ear plugs that come with it, or just the fancy moulded ones?

As happy as I am to be Matt #3, that's a bit of a long signature. That's why I usually use Teller...I think 2 out of every 3 males born between about 1822 and yesterday were named Matt, so the last name thing is a lot easier.
Teller

Back