Lightspeed Headsets

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
So my wife's Lightspeed 20xlc broke yesterday. Some plastic snapped when she went to put it on her head. It hasn't been used much, maybe 50 hours, but is an older model, and wasn't sure if it was supported anymore.

I call Lightspeed, and no questions asked, they offer to repair it for free and even install the new ear seals I just bought, and will even ship it back for free. I've had this thing at least 6 years, and their official warranty is only a few years.

With all the crap service and products out there, just like to give credit where credit is due! She even gave me the option of a credit of $250 toward a new headset if I wanted to trade this in. Might do that in the future to get her a nicer one. Nice to see when a company understands that little things like this will keep bringing me back to them for future business.

Last edited:
We have two Sierras in our Lance, and will be adding at least two more once the new audio panel goes in. Been very happy with them! Good thread...I like to see positive comments as well. I don't feel like people get the credit due to them enough.

Three years ago at OSH, the Lightspeed people were showing the Zulu.2 with the new case - it has a handle! I mentioned I bought my Zulus had the old case. Sales rep asked for my name & address, and a couple weeks later, a new case with the handle showed up in the mail, at no cost.

Lightspeed and Electronics International both rock. The "Anti-Garmins" so to speak.

I have two Sierras and one Zulu.2 and have a panel full of E.I.

There's a reason why.

Thanks, everyone... I've been trying to make a choice on which new headset to get and I think you just help me decide...:goofy: I'm always willing to support a company that cares about their customers.:yes: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Their customer service is awesome. They have a dedicated customer here as well.

you guys are talking me into a lightspeed headset.....looks like the nearest dealer to me is at TTA (Raleigh exec) so boom, there's yet another perfect excuse to fly. gotta check em out before I buy fo sho.

I've got a pair of 15XLC's (entry-level ANR) that are still going strong 5 years later, but they only have about 50hours on them, lol. I had to buy new ear seals this year because they had sat unused most of the time.

Their customer service rep is why I bought Zulu.2's last year and not anyone else ANR headset. I havent had any issues, knock on wood, but its nice to know some companies don't think of you as a one time sale.

BTW, if you haven't tried ANR headsets yet you are missing out. I would hate to go back to passive headsets now. My batteries on the Zulus died mid flight to a Young Eagles day last year. Oy vay, my head ached after a couple hours with no ANR. Not a pair of AA batteries to be found that day. Now I have like 6 in my flight bag. lesson learned.

So my wife's Lightspeed 20xlc broke yesterday. Some plastic snapped when she went to put it on her head. It hasn't been used much, maybe 50 hours, but is an older model, and wasn't sure if it was supported anymore.

I call Lightspeed, and no questions asked, they offer to repair it for free and even install the new ear seals I just bought, and will even ship it back for free. I've had this thing at least 6 years, and their official warranty is only a few years.
Same story here with my wife's 20xlc. We live just a few miles from Lightspeed's HQ here in Portland, so we drove it down there. We dropped it off, and in the time it took us to drive to a nearby Starbucks for a tall nonfat mocha and drive back, it was fixed. No charge.

The capper came a couple of months ago when out of the blue I got an e-mail from the company inviting us and other local customers to a Portland Trailblazers game in Lightspeed's skybox at the Moda Center. We enjoyed the game with the company's founder and president Allan Schrader (who is tall enough to have been out there on the floor) and other execs. Wonderful people!

Last edited:
I've had my Zulu's for 5 years and they've been rock solid. No complaints here!

Just bought a used Zulu.2 from someone here. Replaced the head rest, ear pads, and mic cover...its nearly like new. Omg! Its no comparison to the other ANR headset I bought last year. If/when I ever find the perfect (for me) 182, I'm going to splurge and get the PFX.

I really wish these all had a USB in as a power source instead of batteries though.

Their customer service is awesome. They have a dedicated customer here as well.
This is what everyone always says about Lightspeed. It seems that most of their customer's have had to send their headsets back for something.

So, are they worth 2-1/2 times what you pay for a DC headset?
In the 40 years I've been using DC's I've only once had to send one back and they completely refurbished it for free. My current ones are 15 years old and still going strong.
Always better not to need to know what customer service is like.
Stephen.

FWIW, I've had equally excellent customer care from David Clark, Sennheiser, and Merit Apparel for my Gallet helmet. Probably the best service was from Sennheiser. I still have those headsets but I wear the Zulu 2s. The only thing I'd like better would be if I could flip the mic boom around to the right side. No can do, but I can live with it.

I really like my Zulu PFX and this is after trying everything there is for sale today excluding clarity (I did try halos). My 2c. You mileage and fit may vary.

With all the crap service and products out there, just like to give credit where credit is due! She even gave me the option of a credit of $250 toward a new headset if I wanted to trade this in. Might do that in the future to get her a nicer one. Nice to see when a company understands that little things like this will keep bringing me back to them for future business.

Yup

I've had great experiences dealing with light speed.

As for quality, my Zulu 1s have a few thousand hours on them, just ear seals and a split cord housing, when I sent the Zulus in to light speed they sent them back in a new carrying case, no charge.

*** I should mention, I've never had to send the headset in for anything that would prevent me from using it in flight, it's been cosmetic, with the ear seals they just shipped them to me.

Last edited:
I broke the mic boom on my four year old Zulu 1 (my fault) and they fixed it for me for free, no questions asked. Oh, and I can actually wear them for three hours without pain, unlike the DC's I have worn, though I am sure DC has great customer service, as well.

So, are they worth 2-1/2 times what you pay for a DC headset?

I still keep a pair of David Clarks in the aircraft as a backup. Hard to answer your question yes or no...it just depends what you are in the market for. When I was flying jumpers, some days I'd need to wear my headsets for 6-8 hours straight. The Clarks squeezed my head more and more as the day went on. I do find that the Lightspeeds aren't as "tight" and are extremely comfortable for me. Now that I'm cruising most places, my typical longest leg is 3 hours. I paid $500 a pair for my Sierras after Oshkosh one year, and have been extremely happy with them. Haven't had a need for their customer service as of yet, but I'm glad to hear that they are strong in that department. Of course, I never had a need with my Clarks either...

I guess to answer your question, it's kinda like buying an aircraft. Determine what your mission is going to be & what you can afford, and then make a decision from that point.

Another note on Lightspeed:
They also give back to Aviation.
Deserving groups involved in Aviation have received up to $10,000 from Lightspeed.
The Recreational Aviation Foundation( RAF) a 501C3,that I volunteer for, has been the recipient a couple of times and that money is put to good use opening up airstrips to the flying public.

I have a Zulu 1 ,have had no problems,love it.
There a few other good headsets out there so I won't knock them,but I for one like the product and like the company Lightspeed.

I have the LS 15XLC's and a pair of the DC 10-60's (top of the line passive). I think both are good headsets, but the DC has a higher clamping pressure and significantly greater weight. It's not significant on a one-hour flight, but it can become cumbersome over a longer run. I have not had any issues with either headset, but would expect good customer service from either LS or DC.

This is what everyone always says about Lightspeed. It seems that most of their customer's have had to send their headsets back for something.

I think that's a bit of observation bias at work. With any forum, you rarely hear from the people with no problems to report. You see a bunch of threads about problems and assume everyone with that product has the same issue.

In the 40 years I've been using DC's I've only once had to send one back and they completely refurbished it for free. My current ones are 15 years old and still going strong.
Always better not to need to know what customer service is like.
Stephen.

Goes both ways. It's nice to know that a company has an excellent reputation for customer service if/when you should need it. Sure, it's great to never have to find out, but the existence of good customer service doesn't indicate that the underlying product is of any lesser quality.

Another happy LightSpeed customer.

I bought my 15XL's in 2003 on clearance. Used them for about 10 years with only minor issues that LightSpeed stood by to the bitter end, when the parts supply started to dry up. Then gave me $250 each towards our new Sierra's, which are fine for our limited Sky Arrow use.

Stand up company.

I left my Zulu 2 on the dash in the hot July sun and the heat deformed the battery case. They replaced it free and sent it back with fresh batteries and new ear seals. Lightspeed is the only headset to buy IMHO.

What other brands have you used/abused and what was the service like for those?

I have 2 Sierras, a Zulu and a Zulu 2. The Sierras are OK but I love the Zulus. I would not buy anything else in the future. Of course I do have a head like a Klingon:)

Speaking of customer service. I bought my first Zulu off of Ebay. With 4 years and 10 months of age one of the speakers failed. I called and talked to a delightful person who loves Johnny Cash and they took the unit back and fixed it under the 5 yr. warranty. How can you beat that?

Back