LightSPEED customer service

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
When I bought the Citabria it came with a LightSPEED Thirty 3G headset. The on/off button stuck so I wrapped it up and sent it back for repairs.

I just received the headset back complete with a new battery box, new batteries, and new earseals...... no charge. I knew I liked the headset, but now I really like the company. Their report on the repair lists wait times.... from receiving to repaired - 1 hour 16 minutes. They had it back out the door less than 3 days after I took it to the post office. Now that's great customer service. No doubt what headset I'll purchase for the back seat.

gibbons said:
When I bought the Citabria it came with a LightSPEED Thirty 3G headset. The on/off button stuck so I wrapped it up and sent it back for repairs.

I just received the headset back complete with a new battery box, new batteries, and new earseals...... no charge. I knew I liked the headset, but now I really like the company. Their report on the repair lists wait times.... from receiving to repaired - 1 hour 16 minutes. They had it back out the door less than 3 days after I took it to the post office. Now that's great customer service. No doubt what headset I'll purchase for the back seat.

I'm glad you had good service...it's good to know if ours ever have problems they have a quick turn around time. I was at airventure when someone walked in with a pair of lightspeeds that were used a lot and they replaced the earseals etc for free. At the time I thought they were doing that to sell more headsets at the show but now I'm starting to think that they really stand behind their products.

gibbons said:

Great customer service would be the above, plus the stuff doesn't break constantly. Rumor I hear is the average Lightspeed headset visits the repair facility for a design fault once or twice in the first few years of ownership. OTOH, my 20 year old DC H10-80's have visited the factory exactly once--the time I tripped on the headset chord and yanked it out of the headset. DC repaired and refurbished ala what you experienced, also for free. Same for a 20 year old DC H10-40. Been to the factory exactly once when I dropped it on the volume knob and snapped the potentiometer shaft. I have two more 20 year old H10-40's that haven't seen the factory since they were built.

Just rumors and personal experience, definitely not a scientific study, YMMV, yada, yada.

gibbons said:

I just received the headset back complete with a new battery box, new batteries, and new earseals...... no charge. I knew I liked the headset, but now I really like the company. Their report on the repair lists wait times.... from receiving to repaired - 1 hour 16 minutes. They had it back out the door less than 3 days after I took it to the post office. Now that's great customer
service. No doubt what headset I'll purchase for the back seat.

I recently sent my pair of 25XLs back for conversion to receive a plug for music and cellphone input. They sent me a new headset in place of mine. Fast turnaround. I have always had good service from LightSpeed.

Ed Guthrie said:
Great customer service would be the above, plus the stuff doesn't break constantly. Rumor I hear is the average Lightspeed headset visits the repair facility for a design fault once or twice in the first few years of ownership. OTOH, my 20 year old DC H10-80's have visited the factory exactly once--the time I tripped on the headset chord and yanked it out of the headset. DC repaired and refurbished ala what you experienced, also for free. Same for a 20 year old DC H10-40. Been to the factory exactly once when I dropped it on the volume knob and snapped the potentiometer shaft. I have two more 20 year old H10-40's that haven't seen the factory since they were built.

Just rumors and personal experience, definitely not a scientific study, YMMV, yada, yada.

Lightspeed's are a little fragile, but I would have to see a bit more than "rumors" to condemn them as constantly breaking. They are built lightweight, which contributes to comfort but not an ability to tolerate clumsy handling. I've had my Lightspeed QFR Solo headsets for 4 1/2 years now, and they have been in the shop once because I stored them in a soft case with a bunch of crap on top and loosened the cord. I sent them off on Monday, had them back before Friday, and didn't pay a penny for my mistake aside from shipping. Not a bad deal. Especially considering that I paid just a bit more than $100 for the headsets. Cathy and I like our David Clark's, but I bought her's used and mine were given to me. New, I couldn't have afforded to pay twice as much with headsets as good as the Lightspeeds out there.

My 7-year-old 25XLs have gone back once due to a failure in the ANR circuitry. They came back good as new -- with all-new, improved circuitry, new ear pads, head pad, battery box, cord -- in four days for $0.

As an aside, what many people don't realize is that ANR circuitry will need maintenance over the years, just as a radio will. DCs are built like tanks, true, but to compare the reliability of any passive headset with any ANR headset is denying the added complexity involved with ANR. Now, when you're talking about the thing physically breaking, I think it's only natural given the compromises the designers of each makes: stronger/heavier vs. flimsier/lighter. Personally, I'll take the comfort and tolerate the occasional foray for a free refurbishment.

I have owned 4 pairs of Lightspeeds. I have only had one problem in all 4 pairs. That was promptly fixed when I told them I had a flight TOMORROW and they shipped a replacement overnight priority. With good customer service like that, I would feel real bad switching loyalties.

Apparently Lightspeed extends their "prompt and considerate" serviceto customers of their upscale product line only.

About three years ago I purchased the passive Solo headset; One of the ear seals was torn right out of the box. I requested new seals be send, but was required to send the headset back to the factory. It took two weeks to get it back.

A few months ago I purchased the ANR Solo XC set. Again, defective right out of the box- It was unusable in ANR mode. I requested a replacement set to be sent to me immediately while I send back the defective set. I spoke to three customer service reps, including a "supervisor," to no avail- I had to return the set for repair. I was told I would have it back in 3 days; 17 days later I received the set.

I will never do business with them again.

Tony

inav8r said:
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, you may want to check out the As the Beacon Turns #87: What Customer Service? article over on avweb. In the article the author directly compares their experiences with both David Clark and Lightspeed customer service.

Wow, I was very surprised by what he said about David Clark. This seems to be a change in how they have handled things in the past. Four years ago I sent them my 14 year old/3000 hour headsets which I had my very first problem with in all that time. A short had developed in the mike. When I got them back, the mike was replaced, as well as, all new wires and a new and upgraded head cushion. All at no charge and very fast. Back when I lived in Connecticut, I new more than one person who received similiar treatment by driving to Worcestor MA, and walking in and having them fixed for free while they waited.

When I sent my DC's into be repaired, I decided to buy an ANR pair for myself, and keep the DC's for passengers. I opted for the Lightspeed 25XL.
I really like this headset, however, I have had problems with them on three different occasions. Twice, I sent them in for repair and once they sent me the part and the instructions to replace. All three times I had working headsets within a week and at no charge. Great customer service but why have they broken 3 times in 4 years.

I am real disappointed to hear that David Clark has slipped in customer service, if that is indeed the case. On the other hand, as a flight instructor, it is not unsusual for me to be in 3 or 4 different airplanes on a Saturday, and the Lightspeeds just don't seem to be as durable.

Dave

Dave Theisen said:
Wow, I was very surprised by what he said about David Clark. Dave

The best customer service I have ever had was Bose, in service over 12 years with no problems.

Always there, always ready, Always work, Send them through baggage in my flight bag, bang them around, every time you put them on they work.

big, heavy, ugly, and I lovem.

I once dropped one from a beaver, hit the float and onto the ground, I though well there goes a thoundsand bucks, yep, no damage, they work every time you put them on.

Customer service is a crutch for a inferior product.

NC19143 said:
Customer service is a crutch for a inferior product.

I know what you are saying, Tom, but there is more to it than that. I had a battery leak in one, destroying the battery case in my DC ANRs. You can't blame this on the product... well, maybe the battery manufacturer. Customer service was what I needed and what I got.

-Skip

I'd hope Bose has good customer service at the prices they charge! :)

AirBaker said:

I don't know, never needed to find out.

Smashed my battery box once in a door. Called them up. New one arrived within days, free of charge.

AirBaker said:

I wouldn't know, having never tried it...

I should have my 15XL headset back from Lightspeed any day now, sent it because because I stepped on it and broke the mic boom clean off... they still fixed it for free. :)

Maybe I should send my first Bose X headset back to them just to see what they do to it (I've had it about a year now). I've put about 700 hours of flight time on it, maybe they'll upgrade it or something. :D

*shrug*

BTW, regarding David Clark, I've never needed their service, but friends of mine have, and they always got good service from them.

Back