Lights out during night flight!!

Something is wrong with the original story as posted. I suspect a communications error between instructor and student.

A 150 will fly around all day at flaps 40 in standard atmospheric conditions and proper loading. Up here in the summertime, not so much. But you don't load them full of fuel and two big people and create yourself a significant performance problem that's easily avoided by leaving the tanks half-full, either.

It's all in the POH. Get to studying and ask the instructor if they really thought a 150 will ALWAYS come down with flaps 40. If they say yes, find a different instructor.

As far as the lights going out, these airplanes are old and things will fail. Plan backups (as some have mentioned) or at least always know your "out". I assume your instructor had a plan to put the airplane on the ground safely without electrical power at night. Ask the instructor what the plan was. If they say they didn't have one, find a different instructor.

Lots of folks have said you needed a handheld radio. You didn't. But you did need a flashlight. :) With the correct plan to go to the right airport, and training to land without the landing light, and a decent flashlight (I prefer headlamps, less to hold in my hands...), a night electrical outage is interesting, not an emergency.

I suspect at your level of experience, both questions will be answered more positively than my "find a different instructor" scenarios, and the instructor isn't telling you the whole story. But you should ask.

[Edited because autocorrect choosing wrong words ****es me off.]

Last edited:
Not impressed that the instructor went on a night flight w/o a handheld backup. If/when I get my CFI rating, I will always be carrying a backup.
Oh really? :rolleyes:

lol. I don't think any of my instructors owned handhelds. It was brutal back then. Its a wonder I made it though alive :rofl:
Crazy to think how we ever did it!

I bet the alternator had failed and nobody caught it until the voltage fell enough to let the master contactor chatter a couple of times and then quit. When were the alternator brushes last checked?

Dan
Agreed. I bet there was cues before that something was going on.

I would think an Alternator failure and/or low voltage warning light would be a lot cheaper and should buy you enough time to notify ATC of your intentions before the battery dies.

I used to think this until last November. My alternator decided to come apart front to back, the pulley jammed immediately. I got a big dose of smoke in the cockpit (night flight). Due to some alternator overload on the way out, my battery overloaded and fried out about 15 seconds later. Things learned:

1. Those cheap hat lights from the sports stores last forever (battery wise).
2. Iphone flashlight app worked better in a smoke filled cockpit than any flashlight on board.
3. Clean up before heading home. My family knew something was up by the smell of smoke on my clothes when I got home later that night.

New alternator, battery AND belt when this happens. Someone suggested re-using the belt ... for as much smoke that was generated off that belt ... not a chance.

Why the **** would anyone ever reuse a belt after a component failure?

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Belts are relatively cheap compared to the alternator, and the labor involved in changing vs. reusing is not significant. Maybe a retightening after run-in.

lol. I don't think any of my instructors owned handhelds. It was brutal back then. Its a wonder I made it though alive :rofl:

The 1st 300hrs of instruction I did, for the majority of it we didn't even have an electrical system, let alone a radio. Aeronca Champs.

:)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Why the **** would anyone ever reuse a belt after a component failure?

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Belts are relatively cheap compared to the alternator, and the labor involved in changing vs. reusing is not significant. Maybe a retightening after run-in.

That was my thinking as well. Prop HAS to come off for a belt change, might as well do both at same time when the alternator disintegrated.

The only 'backup' thing you really need to be carrying when flying at night is a flashlight. So you can see the panel. I have practiced night landings without any lights at all, but that was a controlled situation and I wouldn't want to have to do it for real because I forgot a flashlight.

What I really like is a red tinted headlamp.

Last edited:
Back