Lightning Strikes Runway (photo)

Gadgetman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darren
A few days ago a lightning bolt struck our airport in the middle of runway 2-20 at St. Augustine Airport (KSGJ). The runway was closed down for a couple of days until it was repaired. It was a good thing that this was not our main runway that was in use. Photo courtesy of Galaxy Aviation.

We have had two lightning strikes on our runway/taxiway pavement, neither as bad as that but with entirely different damage characteristics. One was similar to that but not as extensive. It blew about a 2' X 2' area of the top layer of pavement off at the edge of the runway. Clean up and cold patch by the street department and it was fixed in a couple of hours. must have been some moisture between pavement layers that turned to steam and blew the top layer off. The other was about a hundred divots at a taxiway intersection covering the entire intersection. Cleaned up and it was good to go. Filled the divots with epoxy later to keep water from standing in them. It just isn't logical that lightning would strike flat pavement when there are taller objects around.

Behold the power of steam.

Impressive amount of damage..:hairraise:..

Truth is though......

Both Geico and I were at that airport and during the run up of our overpowered experimentals, the pavement was "slightly" damaged.;)...

I am blaming it on him and he is blaming it on me.:dunno:.... :D

Back