Lightning and more to be added to ADS-B feed

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like ADS-B will be receiving some information updates in 2018, adding the following items:
  • Center Weather Advisory
  • Cloud Tops
  • Graphical AIRMET
  • Icing, Forecast Potential
  • Lightning Strikes
  • Turbulence
With this we will also require an expensive firmware upgrade to all of our GPS' etc? Well being an airplane, this is likely yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If this is true then AOPA will need to update the recently released YouTube infomercial touting Sirius Xm as wonderful compared to the much inferior ADS-b. It was one of their air safety institute videos. I gave it a thumbs down and commented. There was no hiding it was heavily biased. Pure infomercial. Expected more from AOPA.

With this we will also require an expensive firmware upgrade to all of our GPS' etc? Well being an airplane, this is likely yes.

Should just be an update to the data set. If done right older software should be fine, just won't get the new data.

Should just be an update to the data set. If done right older software should be fine, just won't get the new data.

I think he was asking in terms of actually seeing the new data or being able to use it. Yes, EFBs and in-panel gear will need upgrades.

And it’ll be interesting to see how many fly by night manufacturers riding the wave of the mandate don’t bother, or don’t have the resources.

The tablet EFBs will be updated long before the panel mounted units.

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like ADS-B will be receiving some information updates in 2018, adding the following items:
  • Center Weather Advisory
  • Cloud Tops
  • Graphical AIRMET
  • Icing, Forecast Potential
  • Lightning Strikes
  • Turbulence

Nice catch!

Lightning and Icing have been on the to-do list of ADSB for a few years. I am excited to see they are planning to incorporate them this year.

If this is true then AOPA will need to update the recently released YouTube infomercial touting Sirius Xm as wonderful compared to the much inferior ADS-b. It was one of their air safety institute videos. I gave it a thumbs down and commented. There was no hiding it was heavily biased. Pure infomercial. Expected more from AOPA.
Saw that over the weekend. And I agree that the information provided was “ADS-B is good, but SiriusXM is much better”

They’re also now warning folks on the official announcement that information on all of these uplink weather toys could be as old as 30 minutes and never to use it for “tactical” in flight weather.

Which of course has always been the case but they’re starting to get serious about the warnings.

Now think about that a minute.

FAA: “You want this ****NextGen**** stuff in your panel... so you can see what the weather was doing a half an hour ago. Don’t use it for anything!”

LOL. New marketing slogan...

“NexGen: The AOL Weather of the dial-up era!”

Yeah....but if you are a foreflight user it means you need to upgrade your older iPad to the newest iOS, which then means your iPad will run so slow you need to buy another iPad....

Yeah....but if you are a foreflight user it means you need to upgrade your older iPad to the newest iOS, which then means your iPad will run so slow you need to buy another iPad....

Maybe Apple should be helping the FAA develop new features for FIS-B. ;)

What we really need is for L3 to come out with a portable stormscope.

They’re also now warning folks on the official announcement that information on all of these uplink weather toys could be as old as 30 minutes and never to use it for “tactical” in flight weather.

Which of course has always been the case but they’re starting to get serious about the warnings.

FAA: “You want this ****NextGen**** stuff in your panel... so you can see what the weather was doing a half an hour ago. Don’t use it for anything!”

Was reading recently about the SS El Faro and what happened. There were so many parallels between that and the sorts of errors that get airplane pilots in trouble that it was spooky. Everything we're taught about how to get in trouble was on display there. Relevant here is that they depended on and trusted weather reports without understanding their limitations. Definitely interesting to read about.

Has anyone heard if this has been implemented? I read somewhere that said June, but nothing saying it started or has been delayed.

Although I’ve seen the warnings, my own experience seems to show it doesn’t normally lag that much behind...I usually see 6-12 minutes or so. (And I’m not talking about it’s reported lag but actual lag).

Although I’ve seen the warnings, my own experience seems to show it doesn’t normally lag that much behind...I usually see 6-12 minutes or so. (And I’m not talking about it’s reported lag but actual lag).

But the official info is 30.

And no guarantees you’ll get anything really. :)

With all this modern technology, why can't weather reporting be close to realtime? Is it a sensor (data gathering) issue, a processing/analyzing issue, a distribution issue, etc?

I can understand trying to analyze lots of data for prediction purposes on what weather is likely to do near-term, but as far as gathering and distributing what it's doing RIGHT NOT, why the delay?

With all this modern technology, why can't weather reporting be close to realtime? Is it a sensor (data gathering) issue, a processing/analyzing issue, a distribution issue, etc?
Yes. All of that.

Consider the XM system. Data has to be gathered, transmitted to the processing computer location, crunched, made into something human eyes can read and brains understand, compacted, formatted for transmission, sent up to a geo synch satellite, sent down from the satellite to your XM receiver, uncompressed, and then shown on your screen. All of that takes time.

And consider the bandwidth as part of the challenge. There is a lot of info to squeeze into that pipe.

ADS-B does something similar, but they have to send the data to many hundred transmission towers rather than squirting up to one or two satellites. So bandwidth and transmission time to the towers adds to the time it takes for the new weather info to make it to your tablet or panel screen.

Can't listen to music over ADS-B. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd rather listen to Spotify or Podcasts via my phone than the horrible sound quality of XM music. I had XM in my car(s) just about since they came into existence, but I dumped it about a year ago. The only thing I miss is the Ron Bennington show.

With this addition, what advantage does XM hold over ADS-B?

You can get XM weather on the ground. Other than that, the gap has really closed. I figure I can always get current WX on my EFB app prior to departure, then pick up ADS-B WX once airborne.

I'm dumping XM WX as soon as my NGT-9000 goes in next month. A bonus is that I'll be able to see WX not only on the NGT-9000 display, but also on my GNS-430W and my Android tablet EFB app. This is soooooo much better than when I trained IFR in 1989, and you called flight service for an oral description of radar or asked ATC what they were looking at on their not-so-weather-oriented radar. Used properly, in-flight weather data has greatly improved flight safety for us IFR flibs.

I just did the 24 mo IFR cert and my shop told me to wait on doing my updates as the ADSB firmware update from Garmin was being worked. They charge for the updates since they did not install the gear. Hence, waiting.

Does anyone know if/when Garmin pilot will be able to display these new features?

Does anyone know if/when Garmin pilot will be able to display these new features?

Pilot already shows lightning via internet, if the data comes from FIS-B no reason pilot can’t show it

Back