Lighting rant

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Aircraft - 1970 PA-28-140
Problem - burnt out tail position light which came apart when removed (glass separated from metal) but I got it out.
Piper part number - 753431 GE 1073/1141 depending on where you look

Would LIKE to replace with LED but don't want to pay $200 + for entire assembly. The LED bulbs sold on Spruce all have "experimental only" warning. (rant portion) Tried to replace with locally purchased LED bulb but there is a flange on the bulb where the metal meets the LED portion which prevents inserting the bulb all the way into the socket in order to twist and lock in place.

Anyone had this same problem and have an LED solution rather than just replacing with same inferior glass bulb?

I looked for a long while to find bulbs for a position light replacement on my 180 when I owned it. It was on my list of "nice to haves".

Check out this link from Whelen, it maps a "strobe or beacon" replacement to LED.

I do not know costs, but as far as the assembly that will definitely need to be changed out to accommodate a new bulb.

All the Whelen stuff is usable in certified aircraft.

The landing light cost me about $300 to get installed, but it was a Parmetheus Whelen as well.

To be legal, you need an approved replacement or STC-ed part.

If one does not care for the legality, one can take the metal base of the bulb (of the appropriate required candle power) and solder in a $0.50 LED that one can pick up an any auto store. However, one should be aware that these are Chinese LEDs and one should expect their reliability to be on par with other Chinese-manufactured parts.

Frankly, if this is just your personal plane, I'd just get the exp LEDs from spruce and put them in, under the lense no one will ever be able to tell, besides I've never seen a ramp check occur at night, nor do I think they would question what's under your stock piper nav lens.

If you go to sell, if you're going to make it a 135 bird, or that type of thing pop the LEDs out and out the crappy FAA "safe" 1950s bulbs back in.

http://static---ledinsider.app-hosted.com/media/img/ledinsider/-/bulb_types/bulbbases

Are the two metal things on side at the same height? Yes - it is probably BA15, No - it is probably BAY15
Probably a bayonet mount bulb. How many bumps on the bottom? One? Add a S to the number above. Two? Add a D to the number above.

Since it is a tail light and not a turn signal it is probably a single bump.

Either a BA15S or BAY15S.

BAY15S:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261743511971?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you post a picture we can figure it out?

Its the standard 1157 equivalent but the ledge on the LED where it changes from plastic to metal on the socket prevents the bulb from being pushed in far enough to engage the pins which are an equal distance from the bottom, not offset.

1157 has pins at different heights and it has two contacts. Do you still have the old bulb? Part number?

I had a similar problem when I tried specing out a bulb. I bought the two different pin height type and it would go into the socket, but you could not turn it. It lit up when you pushed on it, but would not stay in the socket. I needed a BA15S instead of a BAY15S.

See the attached drawings.

I swiped the drawing from here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/The-different-types-of-LEDs-available-/10000000177568976/g.html

Attachments

• Bulb bases.jpg
    Bulb bases.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 20
BA15S type is what came out of it...perhaps I misspoke, 1156 instead of 1157.

220, 221 whatever it takes....

Its the standard 1157 equivalent but the ledge on the LED where it changes from plastic to metal on the socket prevents the bulb from being pushed in far enough to engage the pins which are an equal distance from the bottom, not offset.
1156 is what you want. Single contact, pins not offset.

One hazard note: Your crappy standard incandescent position light bulbs can be seen for up to 20 miles by those military pilots, flying blacked out, using Night Vision Goggles, and following their night low level routes all over the country. (Yes, and most of the time they are going a lot faster than 200kias.) A LOT of LED bulbs are all but invisible with aided night vision devices (NVGs). It is highly recommended that you keep a few of your original night lights... Your best savings in the electrical/LED bulb trade off is to swap out landing lights and quartz halogen anti-collision lights. IMHO, for position lights you are well served to leave the original bulbs be...

BTW, your original bulbs most likely aren't FAA/PMA certified or anything, so...

Just my $.02 (but I test this type of stuff for a living).

Back