Light weight battery for non-electric plane

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
Reading a thread on light weight batteries on the Red Board got me wondering how to equip a non-electric vintage plane with battery power for portable electronics, particularly radios and GPS units/tablets. Placing a motorcycle battery would be pretty simple, but how to wire the connectors? Anyone been down this path?

When I bought my Taylorcraft, the seller provided me with a portable battery that can be used to power a GPS, handheld radio and intercom. These were all provided as well. He wired all the needed cables to the back of the plane where the battery is placed. After the flight, you pull the battery out and plug it into the wall to recharge it. The whole thing only weighs a couple of pounds.

Wish I could find a picture of it, but you can probably buy a similar unit at any automotive store.

Several on here will not agree with this, but I am a big believer in Lithium-Ion batteries. They are light weight and have a long shelf life. Some are going to argue they are a fire Hazard because there have been a few fires in the Tesla.

Several on here will not agree with this, but I am a big believer in Lithium-Ion batteries. They are light weight and have a long shelf life. Some are going to argue they are a fire Hazard because there have been a few fires in the Tesla.

The word "Lithium" has added a taint to batteries. There are many lithium based batteries that don't have the negative side effects as the ones used in 787s. I'm a fan.

Just an update to my earlier post. Look in the "Jump Starter" section of your automotive store and you'll probably find something that will suit your purposes.

I run a jump pack in my 6v car for this. It has a couple of outlets and runs things like my stereo for quite a while before needing a recharge.

Step one is to determine how much power all of your devices need (amps) times how long you expect to run them (hours) to get the minimum amp hour requirement, multiply by a fudge factor to allow the battery to age and then you can start to look for specific batteries.

Lithium gives you the best poop per pound ratio. The Lithium Iron Phosphate is supposed to be the most stable of the chemistries. But, since you will not be charging the battery in the airplane, the risk is significantly reduced. Put a fuse right at the battery to prevent a short circuit from causing problems.

Where do your portable electronics live? Bouncing around loose or nailed to the panel? How many devices do you want to plug in at one time? How big a wire tangle are you willing to deal with?

I suspect that you would want to connect a multi-outlet extension cord directly to the battery (with a fuse right at the battery) that you can run to where it is convenient to connect your stuff. I further assume that the various devices have the cigarette lighter style connector. If so, the first thing to do would be to cut those off (they are designed for lighting cigarettes, not aux power connections) and replace them with some sort of polarized plug from the radio control airplane world. Much less bulk, much more reliable connections. Or, you could put the battery and all of the devices into one box that is strapped to the floor, or...

Thanks for the suggestions. The Champ I rent has a C-85 motor with electric starter that's energized by a small battery. There is no alternator. The hand held radio is also wired to this battery, but the intercom is not. Works pretty well and usually good for a few hours. It gets charged maybe once a week.

I'd want to configure something similar for my plane (if and when I get it). Just thinking ahead. I'll try to work out the amps needed and go from there. I'd want capacity for several hours of flight.

This looks interesting, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend.

http://powerfulsignal.com/goal-zero...charger.aspx?gclid=CPT4-b3mnLwCFY9lOgod0SkAiw

Last edited:
Go to the RV store or bargain automotive parts place and find a trailer breakaway kit. It's a sealed lead-acid battery in a sturdy little battery box complete with a voltage checker in it. I paid about $35 for mine.

3897_st.jpg

Pop the cover open, take the battery home to recharge it.

Dan

18 amp hours, 2.3 pounds Lithium Iron Phosphate http://shoraipower.com/lfx18a1-bs12-p86

15 amp hour, 1.7 pounds Lithium Iron Phosphate http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

16 amp hours, 15.4 pounds Sealed Lead Acid AGM (will start an IO-540) http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680-p?pp=12

5 amp hours, 19.3 ounces, Lithium Polymer (the most likely to burst into flames technology and you would need a couple if you want to use a starter) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLX5&P=0

Get a gel-cell battery ($30 - 40 on Fleabay) and connect the appropriate connectors to run your stuff. Go to a thrift story and find a nylon carrying case (with non-metallic zipper!) that it fits into, or a small bag intended for laptop or DVD player that is big enough to also carry your intercom, GPS, etc. Charge it at home. Problem solved.

Reading a thread on light weight batteries on the Red Board got me wondering how to equip a non-electric vintage plane with battery power for portable electronics, particularly radios and GPS units/tablets. Placing a motorcycle battery would be pretty simple, but how to wire the connectors? Anyone been down this path?

I've seen a lot of old non electric planes with an alternator sporting a fan off an Ag pump attached to the landing gear.

Back