Light sport doomed because of student abuse?

Judging by how many J-3 Cubs, Champs, and Taylorcrafts have been rebuilt at one point in their life, I think a lot of the "LSA's" of the past got damaged in landing accident's, too, but they were probably easier to repair and rebuild back in the day than some of the new breed LSAs are now.

Acquisition costs are also a fraction of those of new LSAs.

I trained for my Private ASEL in 2002-2003, Part 61, at a small airport where there were two Champs available for rent. IIRC, one was a 1946 7AC, the other a 1956 7EC. They had tough oleo struts, mild steel tube frames and fabric. If a student scuffed up a wingtip, the owner had the expertise and equipment on-field to get them back into service quickly, sometimes the next day. There was very little downtime, and they were getting 100-hour inspections monthly. That's how you make money with an LSA!

I think he bought them both under $25K, and rented them for $35/hr wet. These were great training aircraft, fun to fly, earned students a simultaneous tailwheel endorsement, and I recall them fondly. They weren't fast, more "light" than "sport," but their purpose was not to go places fast.

I don't see the logic in buying a 120-knot LSA trainer at a price premium. 80-90 knots is fine. The FAA counts hours, not miles!

Sadly, they'll all eventually wear out or rot, or be deemed uninsurable because of the tailwheel config and, in the case of the 7AC, lack of electric start. I'm not sure there's anything this simple and rugged on the new market, even at $150K.

Last edited:
Sadly, they'll all eventually wear out or rot, or be deemed uninsurable because of the tailwheel config and, in the case of the 7AC, lack of electric start. I'm not sure there's anything this simple and rugged on the new market, even at $150K.

You can still buy a new Champ, for $129k:

http://www.americanchampionaircraft.com/champ.html

Have to put up with electric start, though!

Back