Light Sport cost of ownership 2020

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
The bad news is I only flew my Sky Arrow 30.6 hours this year. That’s 10 to 15 hours less than usual. Main reason was not venturing out for fly-ins and breakfasts due to COVID 19 concerns. Plus an ill elderly aunt and an aging dog kept us from going on trips.

Good news is my total cost of ownership was just $1,911.46. Breakdown...

Insurance - $1,218
MOGAS - $267.86
Maintenance and parts - $404.61
Other - $20.99

Works out to $62.47/hr. Not bad. Lion’s share was for insurance, obviously. No allowance for hangar, since we built our own.

That said, last year had MUCH higher expenses due to the ROTAX 5-year rubber replacement, a cracked exhaust and ADSB-out installation. If I have time later I’ll post those far more discouraging 2019 numbers. Still, when things go well, Light Sport flying can be pretty darn affordable.

Thanks. I am occasionally tempted by the ~15 year old CTs on barnstormers. Modern airframe, avionics, and engine, not bad for under $60k.

I haven't done the math on my cost per hour. As long as I can reasonably afford it I don't concern myself much with the exact cost although I do keep a mental tab on whether or not it is hurting the finances. The family CFO will let me know if it becomes a problem. :D

For me, the cost of building and flying a light sport compliant experimental is quite reasonable and as you noted the insurance seems to be the biggest hit. When doing my insurance survey I had to admit to just under 30 hours this past year. But in retrospect I find that this year, for me, has not been the nightmare that some others have had to deal with. Perhaps it's my attitude, approach, or just that I'm a blessed man but my life has not been greatly troubled this year although Covid did visit my house and those of my friends ... but I digress.

I did get my airplane compliant with the ADSB mandate so that I can now visit friends that live inside the Atlanta & Charlotte Mode C veils. That was about $1400.00. The condition wasn't expensive this year as I like to quickly repair anything of concern early on. That means I do inspections and repairs throughout the year. Also had transponder certification but the $120.00 for that is little money in the aviation world.

I do see some negativity on the board concerning Light Sport and that assessment is reasonable I guess ... but for me and what I want/need and airplane for my Light Sport Certificate is perfect. Now if the new rules allow a bit larger LSA with more speed and seats, I will likely have to examine my needs a little closer. :p

My insurance was about 1/5th of yours, I flew a bit more but run on 100LL during the winter so my gas costs are high. Maintenance roughly the same; $300 for the A&P for the condition inspection, and a few bucks here and there for stuff like oil and an ELT battery.

Where you beat me in in hangar cost. Mine is VERY nice, it's VERY close to where I live, but it's about $550/month. The value of my airplane every 18 months or so....

Ron Wanttaja

All else aside with the Rotax fuel injected 912iS engine I am running two aircraft only averaging 4 gallons per hour auto gas both are LSA. Carbed are about 30% greater fuel burn but still pretty good.

There are three of us sharing ownership of the RV-12 now. Hangar and insurance runs $100/month each; operating cost with engine reserve is $33/hour wet.

My insurance was about 1/5th of yours, I flew a bit more but run on 100LL during the winter so my gas costs are high. Maintenance roughly the same; $300 for the A&P for the condition inspection, and a few bucks here and there for stuff like oil and an ELT battery.

Where you beat me in in hangar cost. Mine is VERY nice, it's VERY close to where I live, but it's about $550/month. The value of my airplane every 18 months or so....

Ron Wanttaja
Sounds like you need to get a more expensive plane. That way hangar rent will take longer to equal the value of your plane. :p

Back