Light Sport and Experimental

W

Widgeteye

Can someone tell me what's the difference between a light sport and an elsa.
Do the elsa have restrictions on them that lsa don't??

Thanks

Can someone tell me what's the difference between a light sport and an elsa.
Do the elsa have restrictions on them that lsa don't??
"Light Sport Aircraft" is a *definition*. Any aircraft that meets that definition, regardless of certification category, can be flown by a person exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot (either a person holding an SP license, or a person with a higher certificate choosing to not renew their medical).

When an airplane meets the LSA definition (either deliberately or accidentally), it doesn't change the certification category. If it's Normal airworthiness, it still needs to be annualed by an A&P with an IA. If it's Experimental Amateur-Built, the previously-granted operating limits still apply.
sportpilot.jpg

In addition to the "Light Sport" definition, the FAA added two Light-Sport certification sub-categories to the "Special" airworthiness category: "Special Light Sport Aircraft" and "Experimental Light Sport Aircraft".

("Standard" category handles all the production-type "normal" airplanes, while "Special" is used for aircraft which are used for something other than ordinary air transportation.)
airworthiness.jpg

Aircraft certified as "Special Light Sport Aircraft" (SLSA) have been designed and manufactured in accordance to a "Consensus Standard" rather than the regular FARs. "Experimental Light Sport Aircraft" (ELSA) are also designed and manufactured in accordance to the Consensus Standard, but they may be assembled by a private individual rather than the aircraft manufacturer.

SLSAs must receive their annual inspection and repairs from either an A&P or a person possessing a Light Sport-Maintenance certificate. ELSAs may also be repaired/inspected by a person holding a Light Sport - Inspection certificate. SLSAs are essentially production aircraft, and the local FBO can rent them. ELSAs are like any other Experimental aircraft; they cannot be flown for hire.

In short:

Aircraft meet the Light Sport Definition: Anyone with a Sport Pilot or higher certificate can fly them. All the maintenance and other rules for the airplane certification category still apply:

Special Light Sport Aircraft: Meets both the Light Sport definition and the Consensus Standard, and manufactured by the company. A&P or LS-M must maintain.

Experimental Light Sport Aircraft: Meets both the Light Sport definition and the Consensus Standard. May be assembled by an individual. A&P, LS-M, or LS-I must maintain and repair. However, the LS-I certificate takes only a 16-hour course. ELSAs cannot be operated for hire.

Experimental Amateur-Built: *If* the airplane meets the Light Sport definition, it may be flown by a Sport Pilot. However, the annual condition inspection still requires either the original builder (assuming they have the Repairman Certificate) or an A&P. Anyone can maintain and repair an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft, but they cannot be operated for hire.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Back