Light Sport Additional Category

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
61.419 explains what a Sport Pilot CFI needs to give dual instruction in an additional category or class of light sport.

My question is what does a regular CFI need to be able to give light sport seaplane instruction? Either initially, or as an endorsement?

IIRC, a CFI-A can instruct in an LSA hour one. Yet unless he has x hours insurance will be the limiting factor.

I guess I wasn't clear. What does it take for me, a CFI-A to instruct in an LSA sea plane? If I were strictly an LSA CFI, it would take an endorsement on my Light Sport CFI. But what do I need to do as a regular CFI without a sea plane rating to instruct in a Light Sport Sea plane?

You already hold the requisite instructor category rating, so what you will need to do is either obtain an LSA seaplane pilot additional class endorsement in your logbook IAW 61.321, or add an ASES class rating to your pilot certificate.

Remember -- since you already hold ASEL on your pilot certificate and ASE on your CFI, this is just an additional class, not category.

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't clear. What does it take for me, a CFI-A to instruct in an LSA sea plane? If I were strictly an LSA CFI, it would take an endorsement on my Light Sport CFI. But what do I need to do as a regular CFI without a sea plane rating to instruct in a Light Sport Sea plane?

Oops -- sorry, read right over sea plane.

Endorsement and viola!

Either an LSA seaplane endorsement in your logbook or an ASES additional rating on your pilot certificate.

Ok, I knew part two would work. Follow on question about part one. Who can give the endorsement?

I am not sure a purely light sport CFI endorsement would be prudent in my case. Then I would be a Light Sport CFI doing that training with all the limitations that go with it.

And I suppose a regular CFI could do it, but then there isn't any point to going the Light Sport route for that endorsement.

Bottom line, just go get the SES and be done with it.

:yesnod::D

Ok, I knew part two would work. Follow on question about part one. Who can give the endorsement?

I am not sure a purely light sport CFI endorsement would be prudent in my case. Then I would be a Light Sport CFI doing that training with all the limitations that go with it.

And I suppose a regular CFI could do it, but then there isn't any point to going the Light Sport route for that endorsement.

Bottom line, just go get the SES and be done with it.

:yesnod::D
Your choice, but any CFI-SP with seaplane cat/class privileges or CFI-ASE with an ASES pilot rating could do the LSA endorsement. And, of course, you'd need two such instructors to complete the 61.321 endorsement process, or an instructor plus examiner to do the additional class rating.

Back