Light Plane Mx magazine

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I got another unsolicited generous offer to subscribe to Light Plane Maintenance magazine. Is it worth it to the avg owner?

I've tried to like it. Subscribed when I bought my first plane and tried to like it. When I was with Belvoir and got it free, I tried to like it. I really, really did. Try I mean.

But I couldn't.

I've tried to like it. Subscribed when I bought my first plane and tried to like it. When I was with Belvoir and got it free, I tried to like it. I really, really did. Try I mean.

But I couldn't.

I learned a lot from LPM when I subscribed. I think Kas Thomas was the editor and chief bottle washer then. Several years ago I let it run out as it seemed that there was very little new information coming through.

i'm starting to do a lot more of my own maintenance. just for fun and to save a few bucks. so i just signed up. i'll let ya know how it works out. tc

Yeah...I would like to know if it is worth the money.

It's worth it. They seem to cycle through topics every few years. When you start seeing "repeats" then see if you want to bow out. It is dry and mayby only 1/3 to 1/2 of what is in a givien issue is truely useful (I will not need to overhaul or the rig the Cessna retract gear in my Piper Cherokee) but what is in there can be golden.

It will help you learn alot about your aircraft and its innards.

If you're interested in maintenance, read Mike Busch's "Savvy Aviator" articles on Avweb. Aside from the guy's hair in his bio photo, I'd have to say it's some of the best maintenance-related information I've ever found. He's definitely living the dream - he owns, maintains, and flies his own C310, and he can write the whole thing off as a business expense. That has to be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

I've only recently discovered the Savvy Aviator stuff, but it's on the money and I think it would have saved me a lot of time when I started getting my feet wet in the repair/improvement/maintenance of my C140. As an engineer and life-long wrench turner, I'm definitely a future A&P/IA. The time I've spent working on the 140 has been some of the most enjoyable I've experienced in aviation.

BTW, can anyone recommend any other good maintenance-related reading and educational materials?

Back