Light Gun Test & Color Vision - Success

U

Unregistered

Just wanted to give a quick affirmation of all the recommendations on the board regarding the OCVT...aka light gun test. When I first started training I could not tell the difference between the white and green lights. After a handful of times practicing and teaching myself that green looked a little muddier and white was a brighter intensity, I am now the proud holder of an unrestricted 3rd class medical and pp-asel certificate. Just make sure you practice until you're comfortable and try not to not think about the "color" - just pay attention to what your eyes are telling you and associate green, white and red with what your eyes are seeing. For those of you with perfect color vision I might sound a little off, but for anyone with a color vision deficiency, I think this will help put it all in perspective.

Color vision is genetic, depending on the alleles for the color opsins you received from your mother other X chromosome. Her color vision might have been better, since she had two alleles (versions) of these genes.

A big, giant hairy beef I have with the FAA and their medical analysis is you should only have to pass this once. Once you have been confirmed to have color vision your status will not change without significant changes to your visual acuity.

Good beans.

I passed that same test in the 1970's and still have the same dog-eared SODA with my medical.

Congratulations!

eta: steingar, I did just have to pass it once. I "fail" the color plate test every time, but presenting the SODA has been all it takes to get my medicals, up to First Class at one point.

Last edited:
I suppose it is genetic, my daddy was so red-green colorblind that mother wouldn't let him pick strawberries 'cause he'd pick too many green ones, he usually got by with the traffic lights because the red one's normally on top and the green one's on the bottem. I guess I inherited it a little bit but not so bad that I had any trouble passing the light gun test for a SODA. Strange tho', the last two times that I took a class III physical I was even able to pass the test of the numbers in the circle of colored dots whatever you call-it, I wonder.......can your color vision improve as you age?

Last edited:
Those of you with "defective" color vision might be heartened by this story:

I flunked the color vision test (problems with red/green) when I first got my private in 1969. Did a light gun test with the local FAA folks, passed without a problem, got a SODA.

After graduating college, I decided to take a shot at becoming an Air Force pilot. They sent me to Willams AFB for a flight physical. Told 'em about the color vision problem, they tested me, I flunked-- and they wouldn't accept my SODA as a substitute.

However, they said they had a couple of alternative tests I could try. One of them was the Farnsworth Lantern. I "passed" it, but only with a lot of hinting and help from the airman giving me the test. I specifically asked if I'd have to pass the test every year, because I knew I couldn't-- they said no, since color vision never changes, the fact that I'd passed the Farnsworth would go into the record and I'd never have to take it again.

Went off to Lackland to OTS in fall of '72, just as the war was winding down. The Air Force decided they had too many pilots in the pipeline, so thirty days in, they tightened up the rules and we all got flight physicals again. Although we'd all passed one before enlistment, literally half of us (nine, in my flight of eighteen cadets) flunked the physical for one reason or another. One guy, it was because he was (still) allergic to eggs, which was a new entry to the "disqualifying conditions" list. Me, it was because they insisted on giving me the Farnsworth Lantern test again-- and without that friendly airman, I wasn't able to pass it.

So, I'm back on the street looking for work, and apply to be an air traffic controller. In the process, of course, color vision comes up-- and I'm told that my SODA is unacceptable, applicants must have normal color vision. I flunk all the tests the FAA has available. I ask if the fact that I once passed the Farnsworth Lantern had any bearing-- they say yes, if I can document that, they'll accept it.

I contact the Air Force, get a copy of the results from the time I "passed" the test, give 'em to the FAA-- and get hired. A year in, they send me for my annual physical, I flunk the color vision test-- and they tell me that the fact that I once passed the Farnsworth Lantern test is no longer an acceptable substitute.

HOWEVER, they tell me that the "normal color vision" requirement only applies to new hires-- since I'm already in, if I can pass a light gun test and get a SODA, that will work. I reach into my pocket and pull out the SODA from when I got my private-- and it got me through not only that physical, but every physical for the next 25 years with the FAA.

So, I owe my career (and the comfy early retirement I currently enjoy) to some unknown airman who helped me cheat on the Farnsworth Lantern test in 1972. And the fact that my "defective" color vision hasn't had the slightest effect on my performance as a pilot for the last 45 years, or on my performance as a controller for the 25 years I was with the FAA (most of that at O'Hare, and including nine TDY's working by "color and type" at Oshkosh) tells me that the feds would do well to reevaluate their whole outlook on the subject.

Just curious does the light gun test also include a test to read out colors on a sectional?

I was under the impression that the sectional test only applied to the nighttime version of the test but when the examiner showed up he had a sectional and TAC with him. His main concern was that I could actually see all of the lines, differentiate between shaded sections and tell what I was looking at. He asked me to name a couple colors, but most of it was just identification of random things. The good thing about a sectional is that there are almost always other non-color identifiers. My advice is to memorize the name of the color for everything in the legend. Oh, and the charts he brought were not my local area so you probably shouldn't count on that.

I suppose it is genetic, my daddy was so red-green colorblind that mother wouldn't let him pick strawberries 'cause he'd pick too many green ones, he usually got by with the traffic lights because the red one's normally on top and the green one's on the bottem. I guess I inherited it a little bit but not so bad that I had any trouble passing the light gun test for a SODA. Strange tho', the last two times that I took a class III physical I was even able to pass the test of the numbers in the circle of colored dots whatever you call-it, I wonder.......can your color vision improve as you age?

Odds are the ambient lighting was sufficiently different to change the results.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back