Light Clouds vs Dark Clouds

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'm looking at a section of sky and it appears there are wisps of dark clouds abd wisps of light clouds; and I never got a satisfactory answer as to what is the difference in composition that makes a cloud light or dark. My previous thought was the density of the cloud, considering that the general populace typically refer to the dark ones as "rain" clouds...until I saw the dark wisps; debunked that one.

Someone help me with this.

Mostly, light clouds are in direct sunlight.

Dark clouds are in the shade of another cloud.

The white clouds are white because of white privilege.

The "dark" clouds are dark because of the white clouds.

Depends on the sun angle. Some clouds can shade others making them look dark while an observer in another location may see the dark cloud as much lighter. I briefly discussed this in my workshop, but often in an overcast situation, a darker cloud at it's base means there's more condensate in the cloud. Usually means the cloud is more vertically developed. That's why the bases of thunderstorms look so dark. Be careful, even thin clouds can look dark when the sun angle is high.

Welcome back Scott. Your answer doesn't account for the wisps of dark clouds I saw in the same section of sky with other lighter clouds. There were clear distinctions of "black" and "white" clouds with good illumination in the same sky sector. Sorry I didn't get a photo.:confused:

Tautology: They're relatively dark because relatively less light is reaching the cloud's base.

So by my understanding, Scott was discussing a few reasons for why this may be. I will bullet them (as I understand them) because bullets always make one look douchier smarter:

• Sun angle. A wider cloud might appear lighter on the sunward side than on the other side. Another cloud might cast its shadow and make an adjacent cloud appear darker.
  • Vertical development. With sun shining down from above, a more vertically developed cloud's base will appear darker (all other factors assumed equal)
  • Moisture content. More moisture, the less light will get through all else being equal.
  • See Scott's answer.

Welcome back Scott. Your answer doesn't account for the wisps of dark clouds I saw in the same section of sky with other lighter clouds. There were clear distinctions of "black" and "white" clouds with good illumination in the same sky sector. Sorry I didn't get a photo.:confused:

Yes it does. You're not thinking 3 dimensionally.

Are you trying to say all dark clouds look alike?

I'm looking at a section of sky and it appears there are wisps of dark clouds abd wisps of light clouds; and I never got a satisfactory answer as to what is the difference in composition that makes a cloud light or dark. My previous thought was the density of the cloud, considering that the general populace typically refer to the dark ones as "rain" clouds...until I saw the dark wisps; debunked that one.

Someone help me with this.

How much water is between that point of cloud and the sun determines how dark a cloud is. This relates to how much energy is between that point of cloud and the sun, which relates to how much destructive force is there which relates to whether I will die penetrating it or not. I stay under, and I stay upwind of the really dark crap and the outflows.

Last edited:
Why does it get rough most of the time when I fly under a dark clouds and stay smooth under white clouds???

Back